spc
uniqs
casnev
join:2012-03-08
Henderson, NV

casnev to CoxVegas

to CoxVegas

Re: [NV] new modem - still having frequent disconnects

I will go buy a new one and try that out....any recommended type to put on the main line in?

Thank you for the help!

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

said by casnev:

I will go buy a new one and try that out....any recommended type to put on the main line in?

Go to your cox walkin and ask for one or if a tech is coming out, get one from him/her.

those wal*mart, best buy, radio shack splitters are garbage.
make sure you don't have any unused legs on your splitter(s), that could let noise in.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

The solution to unused splitter ports is to install a terminator (such as: »www.smarthome.com/7808/7 ··· k/p.aspx ) on each one. These can be found locally at Home Depot and other places; I'm not sure if the Cox stores also have them.
casnev
join:2012-03-08
Henderson, NV

casnev

I haven't had a chance to go track down a new splitter, but I took a look at the one that is in place right now. It is one of those red ones that cox tech's install (1ghz with 3.5 outputs). I decided to switch the TV output with the one the modem was hooked up to. So far the modem levels seem better, and I have had no reboots in a day (which is much longer than in the past) My levels now:

Downstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 47 43 44 48
Frequency 855000000 Hz 831000000 Hz 837000000 Hz 861000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB 35 dB 35 dB 36 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
5 dBmV 3 dBmV 3 dBmV 4 dBmV

I am going to replace the splitter even though that change doesn't appear to have impacted HD tv quality. I'm guessing maybe the splitter is going bad....or?

CoxVegas
join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas

You look a fair bit better now (your biggest swing is 2.8dBmV which is still a little much but a lot better than the 5.something you had before, and it's not your highest channel any more). Definitely replace that splitter.