Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JJJohnson

join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO

[request] Stupid post linking

In this post

»Is the DOCSIS 3 rollout complete in your area? Post here..

which is the first post in a 5000+ post thread, there's a link to another post in the same thread, which happens to be on page 256 of the thread (at the default 20/page). This is the link:

»DOSCIS 3 Rollout Complete?

So you click the link and you see only that one post and (for some unknown reason) a handful of others after it. You can't navigate either forward or backward in the thread to see what precedes or follows.

It's the same when doing a search. The search results link to posts in the middle of a thread, but when followed, you don't have the thread navigation. The only way to navigate the thread from that point is to click to its beginning (by clicking the thread title above). This sucks when there are hundreds of posts in the thread.

Surely this can be done more intelligently.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Re: Stupid post linking

Personally, I like the way it is done. I suppose that is a matter of personal preference.

At the bottom of a forum post, there is a link for "permalink". That is supposed to provide a permanent link to the particular post. And that appears to be what was used in the link you are commenting on.

Using the "permalink" url, you see only that post and replies to that post (and replies to them, etc). When giving somebody a link to a specific post, they see a lot less clutter this way. Moreover, if the moderators later split off a subtopic, the permalink will still work since it is a link to the individual post rather than to the thread.

I guess it isn't what you want. It is what I want.

There is (in my opinion) a bug related to this. If a member accesses the thread via a permalink, the whole thread is still marked as having been read, while in fact very little of it has been read.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.1; firefox 10.0.2

iamwhatiam

@verizon.net
reply to JJJohnson

So, basically, you're asking for another type of "permalink" -- one that works more like the Last Post "blue arrow" link which drops you into the topic at a specific post (pagination intact). Of course, how many topics are so long that it matters? Many more times than not you can simply hit the 'Back' button to restore the full topic with its pagination and you're only a click or two from the page in which the specific post appears. Descriptively, what the forum has now could be called a "direct access" link, and what you might prefer could be called a "sequential access" link.

(FWIW, what exists now is the "intelligent" way for post (aka "permalink") links to work. It's presumptuous of you to call it "stupid".)

JJJohnson

Fort Collins, CO
reply to JJJohnson

I don't think I've never seen this in other forum software. Normally, if I copy a link to a post in other forums, it links to the post within its respective thread.

I find it difficult to believe that many prefer this for the sake of "less clutter". It makes the post stand completely out of context and then it makes it very difficult to find the post in its proper place within a long thread.

What's even more unbelievable is that _searches_ bring up these links to isolated posts instead of linking to the post within the thread.

I find it very inconvenient. And, yes, I think it's stupid.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
reply to JJJohnson

I agree - this approach is confusing.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to JJJohnson

If people were to use the proper reply buttons (you didn't, by the way), it would not be taken out of context.

I VASTLY prefer the way DSLR's forum software behaves to the off-the-shelf BB systems like vBulletin, phpBB, SMF, etc.

There's also no "request" here but I'll say it anyway

*object*
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

JJJohnson

Fort Collins, CO

1 recommendation

said by drew:

If people were to use the proper reply buttons (you didn't, by the way), it would not be taken out of context.

If people are so inclined to use the "wrong" one, then that's just another failure of the forum software.

It's not just the out of context problem. It takes forever if you wish to find the post in its place within the middle of a 5000 post thread.

I just cannot see a single reason to ever link to a post without the surrounding conversation.

I VASTLY prefer the way DSLR's forum software behaves to the off-the-shelf BB systems like vBulletin, phpBB, SMF, etc.

But you haven't given a reason why. Is it for the same "no clutter" argument stated above?

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

Failure of forum software that users can't grasp a simple concept of replying to the person they are replying to? I don't think so.

I like that DSLR's software is quick, has features like "qreply" and threaded replies. I use the "normal" view but when reviewing a thread that has a couple different sub-conversations, being able to click on the "reply to [username]" link and go to the indicated post is highly useful for reference. Removing excess information makes the "sub thread" more readable.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

mod_wastrel
iamwhatiam

join:2008-03-28
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to JJJohnson

I like the way BBR handles this because it's NOT stupid. What you're asking for is a post's physical location in a thread/topic; what BBR gives you is a post's logical position in a thread/topic--beginning with the linked post plus those that follow it. I consider this to be VERY intelligent. Yes, it relies on the posters being "smart" enough to use the proper reply function (to the OP or to the appropriate post in the thread/topic), which sometimes they don't; but you don't toss out a great tool because some people misuse it (or others don't "understand" it). I'd support being given another display option if Justin et al want to work on that, but only if the current method remained the default.
--
"Sorry for not responding to your post, but either I haven't seen it yet, or what you said was so devoid of substance that I found it utterly uninteresting."

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to JJJohnson

1) No, it's not stupid. There are many reasons, why it's done this way.
2) There are other ways to post links in this forum. You may use it if you want

1) I think nwrickert See Profile explained, how it works, very well. It's the best (and precise) way to point to a post, closely related to a thought expressed in main thread.

When you make your point, usually you don't want to refer to a whole thread, but rather to specific content of one particular post. But in case if you do want to post link to a whole thread - there is a simple way to do it too. Get link address from the title of the thread and publish it...

2) As I said before, there are other (and many) ways to links to some posts in thread. It's possible to do what you want and sometimes (very rare, I have to admit) I personally use it. But I found it less useful, as users, instead of looking to my reference (as I wanted them to do), start reading the whole (and sometimes very long) thread, completely loosing focus from my reference...

Here is example of a link to post, made by nwrickert See Profile, containing explanation why the current system is better in most cases. If you click on it, your browser will get whole thread and point to the post within it (exactly, if I understand you correctly, as you wish). How do I do that? You may click on Reply button to my post, then click on Auto Quote and see how I did it...

So, if you feel the need to do it, take your time and publish it this way.

Talking about this feature, I'd like to express my quite an opposite wish. I'd like to be able to make a link to just one post, without other follow ups. Quite often I don't need, those who will click on my link in my posts to read the long tail of posts, sometimes unintentionally attached to it by careless posters, who can't distinguish the difference between two buttons: Reply OP and Reply...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...