uniqs
share rss forum feed

AlarmGuy

join:2010-07-08
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

My office

Click for full size
I have been working on creating an office in my basement. Previously the room had paneling, drywalled ceiling and indoor/outdoor carpeting. I have replaced the paneling with drywall, removed the ceiling (I plan to add a drop tile ceiling), removed the carpet and stained the concrete floors. I am going for an industrial theme so I sourced a drafting desk and chair. Since this picture was taken, I have added a network jack and telephone jack along with a speaker phone.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20

You certainly have nailed the uncluttered minimalist look.
I like the metal desk; do you know who manufactured it?

AlarmGuy

Kansas City, MO

said by Thane_Bitter:

The desk was made by Hamilton Manfacturing. I picked it up for $75 at a surplus electronics and office furniture store. The side supports and the front hinges had been put on wrong but was easily fixed. I am thinking about mounting a larger monitor on the wall to have use of the tilting top.

Maniak

join:2008-03-29
Vail, AZ
reply to AlarmGuy

Any reason you have the tower on the desk? I always put them underneath. That will free up room for more monitors, and a place for a notepad (Yes, I still use a pencil/notepad)...

~Mark

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

reply to AlarmGuy

This could be the messiest office I have ever seen.
--
What smells like blue?

Radio Active
My pappy's a pistol
Premium
join:2003-01-31
Fullerton, CA
reply to AlarmGuy

said by AlarmGuy:

I have been working on creating an office in my basement. Previously the room had paneling, drywalled ceiling and indoor/outdoor carpeting. I have replaced the paneling with drywall, removed the ceiling (I plan to add a drop tile ceiling), removed the carpet and stained the concrete floors. I am going for an industrial theme so I sourced a drafting desk and chair. Since this picture was taken, I have added a network jack and telephone jack along with a speaker phone.

Looks like a great start.
--
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"

(Sniffs... Shrugs) "Seems okay."

AlarmGuy

Kansas City, MO
reply to Maniak

said by Maniak:

Any reason you have the tower on the desk? I always put them underneath. That will free up room for more monitors, and a place for a notepad (Yes, I still use a pencil/notepad)...

~Mark

Working on building a bracket to secure the tower on the bottom support.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Omega

said by Omega:

This could be the messiest office I have ever seen.

To see how messy those cables are under the table? They literally are just hanging there with no cable management.

jwblake

join:2010-06-23
Fairfax, VA
reply to AlarmGuy

said by AlarmGuy:

said by Thane_Bitter:

The desk was made by Hamilton Manfacturing. I picked it up for $75 at a surplus electronics and office furniture store. The side supports and the front hinges had been put on wrong but was easily fixed. I am thinking about mounting a larger monitor on the wall to have use of the tilting top.

So it's a drawing/drafting table then. You can tilt it way up to draft on more easily. Great for doing that kind of work, but do you think you might get uncomfortable using such a high table for your computer desk?

AlarmGuy

Kansas City, MO

So far it works great. I do not need to spend more than an hour or two at the desk, so fatigue is not an issue. The desk is also good for standing, as well.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to AlarmGuy

You know,…..

I come to the Home/Office setup photos forum to live vicariously through all the conspicuous consumption,….this,…is,…..just,….

Just kidding man, I like it, no distractions,…

I like that desk too. I’ve consigned myself to building (I use the term loosely) a makeshift desk using a couple of half height filing cabinets, scrap wood (particle board) and some uniclick flooring (laminated).