Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

[NFL] Redskins acquire 2nd pick in draft

»espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/ ··· their-qb

They gave up three #1 draft picks and some other picks to do so, but the Redskins have agreed with the Rams to acquire the 2nd pick in this year's draft. Hopefully Robert Griffin III will the the Redskin QB for the next 10-12 years.

Man I'm glad they did this.
--
hey Dale

gallowsroad

join:2004-08-09
Jenks, OK
said by fatness:

»espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/ ··· their-qb

They gave up three #1 draft picks and some other picks to do so, but the Redskins have agreed with the Rams to acquire the 2nd pick in this year's draft. Hopefully Robert Griffin III will the the Redskin QB for the next 10-12 years.

Man I'm glad they did this.

Looks like they are all-in.

Hope they can create a stable healthy line to keep Griffin from getting killed.

We in Oklahoma remember his performance against OU last year - jaw dropping stuff.

Next question is: who is he going to throw to?

ETA: The price was really steep to move up four spots. Holy crap.

--
Ha ha haaaaaaa....ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

- John Lydon, last Sex Pistols show

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
Can you imagine the kind of team Fish will build around Bradford with those picks? That's gonna look nice.
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to fatness
Redskins giving up a lot to get a QB that may not be able to deliver for a few years yet. Even #1 pick QBs aren't sure things and take a few years to develop.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to gallowsroad
said by gallowsroad:

Hope they can create a stable healthy line to keep Griffin from getting killed.

We in Oklahoma remember his performance against OU last year - jaw dropping stuff.

Next question is: who is he going to throw to

Their center and LG are OK and their LT is good. They need help on the right side of the offensive line.

As for receivers, they have 2 guys who at best should be #2 WR's on the team --- Moss and Gaffney --- and an injured rookie from last year who might or might not develop into someone good (Hankerson, taken in 3rd round). So yeah, they need help in those areas. Fortunately they have a lot of draft picks this year and in future years (unlike the Skins in the past) and are $40 million below the salary cap. So they've got the ability to upgrade at some posiitons.

The other area where they need help is at defensive back, but that won't get Griffin killed. It'll just put him on the field more often after the other teams throw TD bombs.
--
hey Dale

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
I can't wait to see Robert Griffin III's first Eastern Motors commercial.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzS9SxDL ··· 9SxDLFlk

--
hey Dale

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to fatness
I have a feeling they overpaid for him, but we probably won't know that for a couple of years.

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3
reply to fatness
When you're in an Eastern Motors commercial, you know you've arrived.

The Redskins have no respect whatsoever for high draft picks. Their attitude has become don't need 'em, don't want 'em.

On the one hand, you gotta like that they made a real move to get who could be the next Favre or Peyton Manning.
On the other, the rest of the future is mortgaged yet again.

And now here comes the free agent influx, because there's no reason to be looking to improve much via the draft for the next few years.
Dan Snyder writing checks to free agents is a very sobering thought, given that history so far.

Griffin (assuming he's the pick) has to be Manning, Favre, or Jurgensen. Being Mark Sanchez (or, God forbid, Heath Shuler) isn't going to cut it at this price.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

I have a feeling they overpaid for him, but we probably won't know that for a couple of years.

They might have. I figure we'll know in 4 years.

4 years from now it'll be convenient to look back at the Redskins' QB possibilities this year and see how they did:
Manning
Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Grossman
--
hey Dale

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fatness
said by ESPN:

To move up four spots in this year's draft, they are trading away first-rounders in 2012, 2013 and 2014, as well as a second-rounder in 2012.

Ouch.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to fatness
said by fatness:

4 years from now it'll be convenient to look back at the Redskins' QB possibilities this year and see how they did:
Manning
Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Grossman

Methinks Manning was never really a possibility, maybe a pipe dream.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

The_ANoN

@charter.com
reply to Rook008
said by Rook008:

said by ESPN:

To move up four spots in this year's draft, they are trading away first-rounders in 2012, 2013 and 2014, as well as a second-rounder in 2012.

Ouch.

Skins gave away a 2012 2nd rounder and a first rounder in 2013 and 2014 so they could swap first round positions in 2012.. The Skins didnt really 'give up' a first rounder this year since theyre drafting 2nd. Yeah other than that they still gave up a lot, but they had to . They need a QB bad! I like this move more than renting another old, over the hill free agent. Not saying Peyton is over the hill, but Im sure you people know the Redskins' recent luck with Free Agents.

gallowsroad

Jenks, OK
reply to fatness
said by fatness:

Their center and LG are OK and their LT is good. They need help on the right side of the offensive line.

As for receivers, they have 2 guys who at best should be #2 WR's on the team --- Moss and Gaffney --- and an injured rookie from last year who might or might not develop into someone good (Hankerson, taken in 3rd round). So yeah, they need help in those areas. Fortunately they have a lot of draft picks this year and in future years (unlike the Skins in the past) and are $40 million below the salary cap. So they've got the ability to upgrade at some posiitons.

The other area where they need help is at defensive back, but that won't get Griffin killed. It'll just put him on the field more often after the other teams throw TD bombs.

Moss is best when he can play the role of possession receiver, not the long threat they've tried to make him all these years. Gaffney showed promise last year. Armstrong was very entertaining, but he is pretty small. They have to sign at least one, possibly two receivers who are not near the end of their careers.

The defense has been one of the few decent things about the team the last ten years, though not always consistently so. The regularity with which the offense manages to fail to get a first down, or better yet, tosses the ball to the other team keeps them on the field too long.

I hope they sign London Fletcher. He runs the defense and at age 36 lead the league in tackles. And has never missed a game. That guy just keeps on ticking.

As for WR, I hear Randy Moss is looking for a job again!

Seriously, they are going to have to spend some money, and I hope, for a change, they manage to do it wisely. I don't think Manning considered DC for even a second.

As for where various QB possibilities will be in a few years, Manning will be retired after whatever stint he has with his next team (and as someone who is a fan, i hope he plays out well his last few years) and probably get into coaching; can't speak to Tannehill,; RGIII will already be on his way to Canton after winning five super bowl rings(!); and Rex Grossman will be struggling in obscurity someplace trying to keep his touchdown/interception ratio from inverting. That guy is the turnover king of the NFL. If he doesn't throw it outright to a guy wearing a different jersey, he's fumbling it after once again holding the ball way too long.

It troubles me deeply that Shanahan thought Grossman could competently run an offense and do the next most important function a QB must be able to perform - protect the damned football. There was no plausible reason to believe either proposition, especially the latter.

The list of high draft pick quarterbacks who fail to pan out as franchise players, or flame out completely is a long and sordid one. History says at least one of the QBs taken in the first round is going to be out of the league in a few years or floating around as a perennial third stringer. Here's hoping it isn't Griffin.

Washington has really rolled the dice. It makes me nervous because it has the smell of the same old DC/Snyder desperation all over it, but it could turn out to be a genius move.
--

Cousin Dave
Trendsetter
Premium
join:2002-10-29
reply to fatness
As a Rams fan I'd like to say,
Thank you Dan Snyder for yet another boneheaded move.
The Rams with reap the benefits for years to come.

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA
reply to fatness
I sure hope he's worth it.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to gallowsroad
said by gallowsroad:

It troubles me deeply that Shanahan thought Grossman could competently run an offense and do the next most important function a QB must be able to perform - protect the damned football. There was no plausible reason to believe either proposition, especially the latter.

That bothers me too. Add in the fact that they traded 2nd and 4th round picks for McNabb, and then benched him for Grossman and cut him, and they've looked stupid so far at the QB position.

But Griffin's smart, works hard, is agile, throws a good deep ball, and is willing to learn. So they may have done a very good thing at the QB position. Finally.
--
hey Dale

gallowsroad

Jenks, OK
said by fatness:

said by gallowsroad:

That bothers me too. Add in the fact that they traded 2nd and 4th round picks for McNabb, and then benched him for Grossman and cut him, and they've looked stupid so far at the QB position.

But Griffin's smart, works hard, is agile, throws a good deep ball, and is willing to learn. So they may have done a very good thing at the QB position. Finally.

The red flag with McNabb is that Philly was willing to trade him in the division. This means they either knew he was on the downside already, or that they figured Washington was so terrible McNabb wouldn't make a difference when the two teams faced each other.

After what happened to McNabb in Minnesota, I think Reid managed to get something for him at exactly the right time.

Griffin is hopefully worth everything Washington has given up for him. I only saw him play in that Sooner game, and he was spectacular, but one game does not an NFL career make.
--

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fatness
I could see mortgaging the future for a super bowl now but Mortgaging the future for a future quarterback with no chance at the big one tops the list of boneheaded moves. This is going to turn into probably the single biggest boneheaded move in professional sports for at least this decade. It will be interesting to see who the rams pickup in washingtons spot. There must be something in the water in washington.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
They gave up 2 picks this year and got one back (which they'll use on Griffin). They gave up 1 pick next year and 1 pick the following year. They have all their other picks this year and in following years. They're $40 million below the salary cap. I don't see that they've mortgaged the future.

I guess we'll see.
--
hey Dale

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by fatness:

They gave up 2 picks this year and got one back (which they'll use on Griffin). They gave up 1 pick next year and 1 pick the following year. They have all their other picks this year and in following years. They're $40 million below the salary cap. I don't see that they've mortgaged the future.

I guess we'll see.

I know your response was to rody_44 See Profile's 'mortgaging' rather than mine, but what bothers me is this: The Redskins' continued trading away of future high-round picks to sign someone now. It's a very disturbing habit, and one which has shown little in the way of good results so far.

They're moving up a grand total of four spots in this year's draft. In exchange they give away first-rounders for the next two years and a second-rounder. The first-rounder from this year is more or less a 'push', granted. That's still a very, very steep price to move only four spots. It's not like they were originally going to draft second-to-last or something, and moved up 26 or 27 spots.

Still, if Griffin turns out to be a big star who can carry the team by himself sometimes, I suppose it will have been worth it. But there's the rub-- that's what Griffin now has to be. Has to be, otherwise it's another personnel disaster choice in D.C.

gallowsroad

Jenks, OK

1 recommendation

I take your point about it being only 4 spots.

But I actually see the logic in Washington's larger position. The number of spots they rise in the draft order wasn't material to their decision - getting what they obviously believe will be a franchise quarterback in a league where teams without one languish around the .500 level (and worse) or exit the playoffs in the first round was, in their calculation, worth the price they paid in future picks.

It was obvious Griffin was going to go #2, so it was a matter of obtaining that pick, and St. Louis had an asymmetrical advantage in the negotiating. Pay and get Griffin, or don't pay and someone else will.

They do have some cap space to put some more players around Griffin, and their draft decisions the last two years have been light years better than the decade preceding.

Maybe this works out, maybe Griffin is a bust. Impossible to tell, as the many high pick QBs who washed out proves. But if you get the right player and he does develop, you can solve the most important position in football for years to come.

Drafting players, signing free agents, the entire thing is a calculated gamble. Maybe Washington got the math right for a change. Maybe I'll just flap my arms and fly to the moon.
--

The_ANoN

@charter.com
People keep saying its a boneheaded move, but what else could Washington have done? Sit back and draft another receiver or RB.. or 2nd tier QB?? I think it was a great move.. Obviously, no one will know who the winner of this trade is until maybe 2-3 years down the road.. But like Gallowsroad said, the Rams had the clear advantage in this situation.. They knew other teams need their pick more.. so they could just sit back while teams go into a bidding war. The price was eventually going to get high. Washington NEEDS a QB now... I personally dont think what they gave up is as bad as what people are making it out to be.. They gave up TWO first rounders (not three) and a 2nd rounder.. And since when did the draft end after the 1st round? They still have around 8 picks in this year's draft and, not to mention, they are still $40 million+ under the cap so who knows what they'll do in Free Agency? They can spend $$ on and draft strictly offensive players now because their Defense is already above average (and they get LaRon Landry and Jarvis Jenkins back next season).. I think Washington might surprise people this season.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
We had the same issue in Toronto when it came to The Leafgs previous GM's gave away draft picks like candy when it came to acquiring something for the immediate(which never worked out anyway).

I don't agree with giving away draft picks (and a shitload to boot) to acquire something that is a maybe. You've given up a chunk of your future for a possibility.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
reply to The_ANoN
Jarvis Jenkins has never played a regular-season down in the NFL. LaRon Landry has run hot-and-cold his entire career, and unless I've missed some news, there's no guarantee he'll even be on the team come opening weekend. So I wouldn't want to pin too large of hopes on those two.

Landry can be a factor when he's on the field. Jenkins looks like he well might be a good player.

When you say "free agent" in D.C., heads drop in anticipation. (Of course, most of us are still getting used to the fact the 'Snyrato' team no longer takes care of that end of the business.)

I'll put on a happy face: RGIII is the guy. Some quality free agents will be forthcoming. Gems will be found in some lower draft rounds. A couple of years from now, the Redskins will begin a long string of playoff appearances.

Happy, happy, happy!

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium
join:2006-03-01
USA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fatness
Necessary move by the Skins, IMO. I may even want to watch them for a change . Jokes aside, you need a QB and the kid appears to have all the tools both physical and mental. Very gifted. Should be exciting for any Skins fan.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to gallowsroad
Cap space? You do know they have a cap about 18 million less than other teams for the next 2 years. The nfl fined them for front loading contracts last year when there was no cap. The 30 something million gets split in the next two years. The Red Skins are screwed at least for two years and probably at least 5. It takes more then a quarterback. Im not sure of the number but its staggering, something in the neighborhood of other teams can now spend 120 something and the skins are stuck at like 102 or around that. What one player do you spend it on. Someone to protect him or someone to catch his passes. In either case not only did they trade the draft picks but they have no cap space to acquire players.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to The_ANoN
No they gave up three first rounders and a second rounder. If this guy gets hurt they gave up the next two first rounders, the second rounder and the first rounder they would have had this year. That equals three first rounders and one second rounder. If hes a bust or gets hurt you get nothing where you could have had them three and the one. im sure you would be hard pressed to find any team in history that has given so much for one guy. What else could have they did. HMMM would have been a lot less gamble to just sign a certain manning boy. Which when you think of it indy seems to be passing on this sure thing.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to rody_44
Just read about that, the 'Skins and Cowboys both got hit: »espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76773 ··· ap-space
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to AB
said by AB:

I know your response was to rody_44 See Profile's 'mortgaging' rather than mine, but what bothers me is this: The Redskins' continued trading away of future high-round picks to sign someone now.

That would bother me greatly if they were trading the picks for a veteran whose career is half over or more, as they used to. They're trading it for a talented rookie QB who has a decent chance to be very good. I'm glad they gambled that way on Griffin. It's a QB-driven league now more than ever, with the ever-tighter rules on defenses.
--
hey Dale

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to Rook008
said by Rook008:

Just read about that, the 'Skins and Cowboys both got hit: »espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76773 ··· ap-space

Yeah, that's a strange one. It (the league's action) seems to violate the old collective bargaining agreement and the new one.

Both the Skins and the Cowboys can spread that cap hit over this year and next year. If the Skins do that they'll still be under the cap this year and next.

I'd love to see them challenge the NFL on this one, after free agency and the draft are over of course.
--
hey Dale