Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

adkinsjm

join:2004-10-13
Cuyahoga Falls, OH

1 edit

Blue Ridge keeping up with HD

Blue Ridge Communications in Pennsylvania has been busy adding HD channels the past few weeks. The additions include Fox Business, Cartoon Network, Style, Tennis Channel, Sportsman Channel, World Fishing Channel, CBS Sports, and Fuel.

Don't know where more HD channels would fit in the lineup in the 600-range.
--
Former Comcast, DIRECTV, DISH, iProvo, and UTOPIA subscriber. Now with Blue Ridge Communications.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

said by adkinsjm:

The additions include Fox Business, Cartoon Network, Style, Tennis Channel, Sportsman Channel, Fuel, World Fishing Channel, CBS Sports, and Fuel.

So Fuel is SO good, they added it TWICE...

adkinsjm

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

1 edit
reply to adkinsjm

Blue Ridge upgraded my section of Stroud Township to DOCSIS3 last night. I don't know if it's done by node or headend. Only found out because I couldn't get online this morning. Tech support was of no help and scheduled a tech to come out tomorrow. I decided to do a factory reset for my DOCSIS3 modem and goes able to lock into four channels right away.

It also looks like my system is 1 GHz as one channel us at 891 MHz.
--
Former Comcast, DIRECTV, DISH, iProvo, and UTOPIA subscriber. Now with Blue Ridge Communications.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by adkinsjm:

Blue Ridge upgraded my section of Stroud Township to DOCSIS3 last night. I don't know if it's done by node or headend. Only found out because I couldn't get online this morning. Tech support was of no help and scheduled a tech to come out tomorrow. I decided to do a factory reset for my DOCSIS3 modem and goes able to lock into four channels right away.

It also looks like my system is 1 GHz as one channel us at 891 MHz.

can you post a pic of your modem signals? Are sure your not thinking of 861MHz which is the top channel in an 864MHz system?

adkinsjm

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

Click for full size
Modem stats
All four downstream channels are above 861 Mhz.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE

Damn! Impressive.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to adkinsjm

said by adkinsjm:

All four downstream channels are above 861 Mhz.

that is cool!

My downstreams are located above 750MHz but are not that High!

mine are:
783MHz
789MHz
795MHz
801MHz

adkinsjm

Cuyahoga Falls, OH
reply to adkinsjm

Just think how much free bandwidth Blue Ridge would have if it got rid of more than 70 analog channels that are also being simulcast in digital.
--

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by adkinsjm:

Just think how much free bandwidth Blue Ridge would have if it got rid of more than 70 analog channels that are also being simulcast in digital.

doesn't blue ridge use SDV now? that should help them from needing to remove the analog tier as quickly if they are switching the new channels TWC uses 24 QAM frequencies to deliver SDV channels our newest SDV channel is Disney Junior.

adkinsjm

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

1 edit

Don't know how many channels are delivered by SDV.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

In Passport Echo diags I think it said 12 channels were in SDV but it doesn't specify which channels.

At least the SDV services pages are all populated but I still can't figure out how to determine when its active or not. As far as I can tell its not active on anything in HD at least.

To get to diagnostics.
press and hold the center button and exit on the front of the cable box together until it "dings" and DIAG flashes on the front LCD.

Now tune to channel 911. You can adjust the transparency of the diagnostics with the "A" button on the remote. The tuning section is neat because its interactive and you can hand pick a MHz, program ID and QAM mode.

Passport and Passport Echo is a really slick, smooth operating system on Cable. Now if only they would update it to fill a 16:9 display!

I also think much of Blue Ridge in NE PA was upgraded from 2003-2005 so I guess they threw 1 GHz stuff in then. Its all C-COR FlexMax 901e series I think. »www.c-cor.com/broadband_access/a···iers.cfm

adkinsjm

Cuyahoga Falls, OH
reply to adkinsjm

More HD added this week, MSNBC, Oxygen, and G4. I'm guessing NBC-Comcast required HD carriage to access Olympics streaming.

In the past month or so, the HD versions of most premiums were added in the 550-585 channel range.
--

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
reply to adkinsjm

Blue Ridge has a really good lineup now. They're up to 110 HD channels, and that doesn't count the locals or the RSN's. That's not counting that NFL/NBA HD split that has no need to exist.

There's still a few holes though, primarily BBC America, BET, DIY, Cooking, NatGeo Wild, HLN, Hub, ID and OWN. But they have every single premium channel they carry in HD that they can.

It makes Comcast look really bad, because outside of the Philadelphia city systems, this is a better lineup than anything they're offering for the most part.

I'm amazed there's not a section on their website mentioning the lack of the Big Ten Network. The Penn State fans can't be happy.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to adkinsjm

I went onto their website but they don't show anything in the 550-585 range. Whats there, all of the premiums in HD, even the extra screens (like HBO2, HBO Signature, HBO Family, etc...) ?

There was a handful of channels using SDV last time I was in that area and checked. If they continue to use SDV there shouldn't be a problem carrying all the premiums in HD.

Interesting about your modem stats. My inlaws were on 99 MHz last I checked (one channel). Hawley area.

Os

US

Cypher, in that range they have the following.

HBO2 HD, HBO Signature HD, HBO Family HD, HBO Comedy HD, HBO Zone HD, HBO Latino HD, MoreMax HD, ActionMax HD, ThrillerMax HD, OuterMax HD, 5StarMax HD, @Max HD, WomanMax HD, Showtime 2 HD, Showtime Showcase HD, Showtime Extreme HD, Showtime Beyond HD, Showtime Next HD, TMC HD, TMC Xtra HD, Starz Edge HD, Starz Comedy HD, Starz Kids & Family HD, Starz In Black HD, Starz Cinema HD, Starz in Black HD, Encore HD, Encore Action HD, Encore Drama HD.

That's every east coast HD feed but Showtime Family and the other Encores, which don't exist yet. They don't carry IndiePlex or RetroPlex. Many of these aren't found on either Dish or DirecTV, and those extra Showtimes aren't even carried on Comcast at all in the Mid-Atlantic. I find it really impressive.

IMO, these are of far more value to customers than some of the things that Comcast is adding these days, obscure channels with limited viewership. Comcast dropping premiums for Bloomberg and C-SPAN in HD as they have done in many areas is just a head scratcher to me.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

While yes this IS an impressive lineup, & not to nitpick, but..

said by Os:

That's every east coast HD feed but Showtime Family

What about Showtime Women HD...which DirecTV DOES carry now???

Many of these aren't found on either Dish or DirecTV,

Actually, DirecTV DOES carry the majority of these HD premium feeds as well, EXCEPT for E-Action, E-Drama & OuterMax.
Unfortunately, they do NOT carry Indie or Retro-plex HD, either.
And unfortunately, the premium HD count is the ONLY place, HD-wise, where DirecTV shines - non-sports wise.

Os

US

I forgot it. Blue Ridge has it too now.

They have 33.

HBO (7)
Cinemax (8)
Showtime (7)
TMC (2)
Encore (3)
Starz (6)

It's funny everyone else is increasing their premium HD. Except Comcast.

DirecTV didn't have a lot of those until recently.

adkinsjm

Cuyahoga Falls, OH
reply to adkinsjm

The NFL Network/NBA TV split doesn't exist anymore, except on channel lineups. I didn't see any NBA TV games on Ch. 540 during the NBA season.
--

Os

US

So does Blue Ridge carry NBA TV HD on a separate channel? Zap2It is still showing the split.

adkinsjm

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

Nope. NBA TV HD is not being carried.