uniqs
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user to Gone

to Gone

Re: CHCH Channel Change

said by Gone:

Moving from VHF 11 to UHF 15 is going to improve the off-air signal tremendously.

i thought it was supposed to be the other way around...? i used to use rabbit ears on the shore of lake erie, and VHF always came in clearer (in sound and picture), in colour, and with less V-hold shifting than UHF.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by cog_biz_user:

i thought it was supposed to be the other way around...? i used to use rabbit ears on the shore of lake erie, and VHF always came in clearer (in sound and picture), in colour, and with less V-hold shifting than UHF.

Used to be that way with analog, but while I don't know enough to list the technical differences, digital ATSC performs much better on UHF than it does on VHF.

Not only that, but the majority of the new antennas that are listed as being digital antennas (even though they're no different than something from the 70s) are UHF only. While not impossible, it is exceedingly difficult to pick up a VHF signal using a UHF antenna.

CFTO still operates on 9 at a very very low power output, but they're owned by Bell. Bell's response to off-air reception issues will be to tell people to subscribe to Bell TV

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to cog_biz_user

Premium Member

to cog_biz_user
said by cog_biz_user:

said by Gone:

Moving from VHF 11 to UHF 15 is going to improve the off-air signal tremendously.

I can weigh in on the technical differences.

Comes down to physics really...Back in the day, Analogue TV stations wanted to be on a VHF frequency because they were able to get away with a relatively speaking "Lower" power output (ERP) than their UHF cousins because the "signal" would radiate over a longer radius because the "size" of the wave was larger than UHF. Also UHF stations tended to run at a lower power level because they were running at a higher frequency (as I said, 198mhz to 476mhz is a big deal), it would require more power to radiate over the same distance as a VHF station.

Then, things changed. VHF got much more crowded in the 70s, 80s and such and ran into more issues with interference.

UHF stayed relatively quiet in comparison, not sure why, just sort of did. When the digital transition happenned, there wasn't any VHF room, so UHF transmitters got better out of neccessity and were a larger power transmitter, there's less interference, meaning less 'pixelization' on digital, and since its either an "its there or its not" kind of propositon, it just works better.

That's why you see the power cranked up though vs VHF...but on digital it just doesn't seem to translate quite the same.

So, that's why really. Higher power stations, cleaner part of the spectrum (I believe other than NASCAR, I don't know anyone who regularly is in that part of the spectrum area, maybe some of those FRS radios, but...they're uber low power in comparison, so not much ability for interference to occur).

That's also the change....the UHF antenna design really chops out VHF signals in general, you have some combo units, but they're not doing the job very well to be honest and any external unit can't possibly do both very well....so you have a choice...

HTH

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

dillyhammer

Premium Member

I can weigh in on "I don't give a shit, I haven't watched CHCH in years".

But I did win it's first ever internet contest, still got the hat, and Donna Skelly smells great in person. Seriously.

Mike

WarningU2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-27
Burlington, ON

WarningU2

Premium Member

"smells great in person"

Too funny.
cog_biz_user

cog_biz_user to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

But I did win it's first ever internet contest, still got the hat, and Donna Skelly smells great in person. Seriously.

LOL.

I met Annette Hamm (I think?) once when she brought her computer in to CompuSmart...

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by cog_biz_user:

said by dillyhammer:

LOL.

I met Annette Hamm (I think?) once when she brought her computer in to CompuSmart...

LUCKY!...I only got to support Chuck Swirsky (former Raptors radio voice) when he called in with an internet problem once, oh...and Hal Johnson (The Bodybreak guy, you know, keep fit and have fun)....he had no internet either....

...That's been it for my "brushes with celebrity"...I would have liked to have dealt with someone much nicer looking that's for sure .

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Years ago when I managed a bar downtown I did a benefit concert for that little toddler girl that got thrown out of the moving van on the QEW, remember that?

I called up Matt Hayes and asked if he would come down and support the concert, maybe do a weather forecast out front or something. Ray Lyell & The Storm was headlining it, with a dozen other local bands.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· =related

He returned my call. I could not believe the mean shit that came out of his mouth after he said "no way". I grimace whenever I see his face or hear his name.

Mike
cog_biz_user

cog_biz_user

said by dillyhammer:

I called up Matt Hayes and asked if he would come down and support the concert, maybe do a weather forecast out front or something.

He returned my call. I could not believe the mean shit that came out of his mouth after he said "no way". I grimace whenever I see his face or hear his name.

ouch.
JVRudnick
join:2004-01-12
Waterdown, ON

JVRudnick

I used to like Norm the news guy....and Jack Burgdhart too....

things change tho....and while I still watch the 6 pm news, I keep a running count of mistakes in syntax, usage and even pronounciation....up to 322 so far this year...sigh...

guess readin 'n writing weren't high on the list for whomever writes CHCH news or anchors same, eh....

:-(

Jim

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

remind me again what this has to do with cogeco cable?

cablesmurfet
@cgocable.net

cablesmurfet

Anon

The fact that CHCH changes there frequency has nothing to do with Cogeco, or any other TV provider, for that matter. The only people this would affect are OTAers. People wtih satellite (I'm one of them) or cable will not notice anything.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Well, one could argue that it does involve Cogeco as the head-end that gets CHCH off the air for customer distribution is going to need to retune its receiving equipment for UHF 15 rather than VHF 11.

Pauly
canada

Pauly

what if cogeco sends its feed to the BDU through other means like IP or fibre link, satellite or micro wave? the ota frequency would have no importance to cogeco, because the other air interfaces would not be affected.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

They don't. They get CHCH off air, or at least did as recently as the end of August when they switched to VHF 11 and all hell broke loose.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

(topic move) CHCH Channel Change

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 3 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »CHCH Channel Change

Pauly
canada

Pauly to Gone

to Gone

Re: CHCH Channel Change

i see

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

They don't. They get CHCH off air, or at least did as recently as the end of August when they switched to VHF 11 and all hell broke loose.

I can say it was a direct link in hamilton, not sure about niagara but maybe there was. A change when chch was sold to channel zero and cogeco had to revert to ota reception as global maybe didnt allow aiggyback of their signal anymore....

Because 1 day when i took calls i got a call from them asking why the secondary link went down for 9 minutes......i transferred them so ewhere but cant remember where......

agustis
@rogers.com

agustis

Anon

said by nitzguy:

said by Gone:

I can say it was a direct link in hamilton, not sure about niagara but maybe there was. A change when chch was sold to channel zero and cogeco had to revert to ota reception as global maybe didnt allow aiggyback of their signal anymore....

Because 1 day when i took calls i got a call from them asking why the secondary link went down for 9 minutes......i transferred them so ewhere but cant remember where......

thank u for the correction. somebody remind gone that he is incorrect now.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

I'm almost positive they lost the fibre link when Canwest sold the station to Channel Zero. The fibre link came out of Toronto along with the main Global Toronto feed, there is (to the best of my understanding) no fibre link coming out of Hamilton and CHCH became an off-air feed once Global abandoned ship.