dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1

[OS X] MS Office for Mac - questions

Just got a copy of MS Office 2011 for Mac

Well - the first issue I have come across is it appears the Office Calendar does not sync with ANYTHING - iCal, google cal - anything.

Has anyone been able to get it to sync with google cal??

Secondly, it looks like the contact list is also a stand-alone thing.

Is this supposed to work in a seamless, integrated fashion like everything else on the Mac??
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

How do I sync Outlook 2011 and Google Calendar?

»apple.stackexchange.com/question···calendar

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

said by haroldo:

Hahaha If I wanted kludge solutions - I would have stayed with Windowz

Hopefully a future release of office will fix this issue
--

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

said by dellsweig:

said by haroldo:

Hahaha If I wanted kludge solutions - I would have stayed with Windowz

Hopefully a future release of office will fix this issue

Probably not.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
reply to dellsweig

I gave up on trying to synch with Google Calendar from Mac Outlook to use with our iPhones last summer and was able to convince my wife, who was practically married to Outlook, to completely move over and use Google Calendar natively. The key was having and being able to use the Tasks feature. Since iPhone does not have a native app for it, I found an app called gtasks that allows her to create and synch tasks into Google Calendar either way. It is so nice now that we can both see each other's calendars and add and complete tasks from anywhere on both our phones. Google Apps is slowly maturing into Outlook in the cloud. Forget synch services. It is a nightmare trying to synch to iCal from Outlook and then synch from iCal to Google Calendar. I got it to kind of work in one direction but my wife had so much crap in her calendar that it actually choked up iCal. Reverse synching just didn't happen. Unless M$ decides to natively support CalDAV synching/import/export with Outlook it is a lost cause. I wouldn't waste your time.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

said by rolande:

I gave up on trying to synch with Google Calendar from Mac Outlook to use with our iPhones last summer and was able to convince my wife, who was practically married to Outlook, to completely move over and use Google Calendar natively. The key was having and being able to use the Tasks feature. Since iPhone does not have a native app for it, I found an app called gtasks that allows her to create and synch tasks into Google Calendar either way. It is so nice now that we can both see each other's calendars and add and complete tasks from anywhere on both our phones. Google Apps is slowly maturing into Outlook in the cloud. Forget synch services. It is a nightmare trying to synch to iCal from Outlook and then synch from iCal to Google Calendar. I got it to kind of work in one direction but my wife had so much crap in her calendar that it actually choked up iCal. Reverse synching just didn't happen. Unless M$ decides to natively support CalDAV synching/import/export with Outlook it is a lost cause. I wouldn't waste your time.

Thanks - I see that now

I will keep the default iCal and iMail apps for now as the default tools - they provide seamless syncing.....

It is nice to have word, excel and pp on the mac though - now if someone would just come up with Visio for the Mac
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

said by dellsweig:

It is nice to have word, excel and pp on the mac though - now if someone would just come up with Visio for the Mac

I use Omnigraffle Pro ($200 in the app store) as a sub for Visio. The Pro version offers Visio support (imports of VSD and import export of VDX). From the omnigroup website you can download a 2 week free trial before actually pulling the trigger on 2 Benjamins.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
reply to dellsweig

I use the latest version of Omnigraffle Pro on my work Macbook. It is ok. Many Visio created files don't display entirely accurately as there is some sort of issue with stencil/shape rendering. It is a fairly big memory hog, as well. But, it is an option and it is marginally functional for the task.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

smunro622
Premium
join:2006-02-15
Madison Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to dellsweig

I agree with everyone visio has to be added but this will only help me 65%. I use net zoom when handing diagrams to my customers. Its a great program and i have resorted to boot camp for my needs. Yes i have tried omni graffle and concept draw its ok but with netzoom and visio all my diagrams are awesome...