Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

[Equipment] For Those Looking for an Atom Based PC For Asterisk

I use the Lenovo Q100's series for my asterisk system. Lenovo has the newer Q180's on sale for a few days. I just ordered another one - see the specs. These are extremely quiet, and can be had at a very good price.

»shop.lenovo.com/us/desktops/idea···ies/q180

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms

Re: [Equipment] For Those Looking for an Atom Based PC For Aster

A new PIAF 2 release came out recently, and they are (for the first time I can remember) advocating a "homebrew" PC. This setup is around $200-250.
»nerdvittles.com/?p=810
--
...because I care.

ajhaji
Premium
join:2002-03-02
North York, ON
reply to Trimline
I bought a barebones ZOTAC box for my last Asterisk build. Put in some RAM and a cheap SSD and the total was under $300 plus tax.

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
said by ajhaji:

I bought a barebones ZOTAC box for my last Asterisk build. Put in some RAM and a cheap SSD and the total was under $300 plus tax.

I saw that as well, but had difficulty determining what parts I needed. It was all very intriguing. When I found the Q180's had pretty much everything, I pressed the buy button. No fuss, no muss.

They work well as an HTPC too...

I am an equipment junkie. Let me know the stats on your ZOTAC.

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to Trimline
Just a few days ago I posted something related this regarding hp thin clients.

»www.mgraves.org/2012/03/hp-thin-···n-hosts/

These can be had with Atom or Via cpus for under $200 ready to roll.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3
enjoying the inflight wifi?

Trimline
Premium
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
reply to mgraves1
said by mgraves1:

Excellent prices, I just may order one on Monday as a test box. I've always had extremely good results with HP products. Small and quiet is a must for me, seen and not heard is my motto.

Thanks for the info.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
Almost makes me sorry I picked up a T23 for $100, but I saved a few bucks, have a built in "UPS" and a screen for initial install. Still, it's a used machine from way back when (P3 1.2/1GB/20GB). Those thin clients really are the way to go if you're rolling out new stuff and reliability's the key.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Trimline
This is an alternative option. I like dealing with this company, quick turnaround, competitive pricing, quality products:

»www.mini-box.com/M350-enclosure-···-adapter

»www.mini-box.com/Intel-D2500CCE-···herboard

Just add 2G of memory and a SSD and you are done.

mgraves1
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

enjoying the inflight wifi?

Nah, that was done on my G2 while at IAH. Pity the Galaxy Nexus I ordered didn't deliver in time to come along to the UK.

ajhaji
Premium
join:2002-03-02
North York, ON
Reviews:
·AEI Internet
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to Trimline
said by Trimline:

I got the ZOTAC ID12-U barebone, which is an Atom D525 (dual-core 1.8 GHz). Popped in 2 GB of DDR3 RAM, a 40 GB Intel SSD, and you're done. It's a great little box. Quite quiet. The only thing that isn't so nice is that the HDMI port only supports resolutions up to 720p. So this wouldn't be a good choice for an HTPC.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
said by ajhaji:

said by Trimline:

I got the ZOTAC ID12-U barebone, which is an Atom D525 (dual-core 1.8 GHz). Popped in 2 GB of DDR3 RAM, a 40 GB Intel SSD, and you're done. It's a great little box. Quite quiet. The only thing that isn't so nice is that the HDMI port only supports resolutions up to 720p. So this wouldn't be a good choice for an HTPC.

The thin clients suggested by Mike are more than good enough for the application but cheaper than the Zotacs by a large margin. With that being said, I use on of those little ATOM boxes (an Acer Aspire REVO 3610) as my main media player (Linux + XBMC).
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

gweidenh

Houston, TX
reply to ajhaji
For HTPC applications, you will need a model with the Nvidia ION chipset or similar GPU.

With that config, the lil Zotac box can spit out 1080p

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
said by gweidenh:

For HTPC applications, you will need a model with the Nvidia ION chipset or similar GPU.

With that config, the lil Zotac box can spit out 1080p

NVidia ION is a great chipset for HD video playback. Might be a bit of an overkill for an * box
--
—George Bernard Shaw

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
reply to FiReSTaRT
said by FiReSTaRT:

With that being said, I use on of those little ATOM boxes (an Acer Aspire REVO 3610) as my main media player (Linux + XBMC).

I don't know how much you had spent your $$$ on the hardware to do XBMC. However, I believe one can achieve the same (and may be better) for as little as $25 with a RaspBerryPi (NOT RaspBerryPie).
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

gweidenh

Houston, TX

1 recommendation

As much as a love the RasBerry Pi, lets be honest.

1) It has yet to ship
2) Has no US distribution
3) Does not come with a power supply, or USB network dongle, USB harddrive, or USB hub or many other necessary items to make this a working HTPC system (read: its not really $25)
4) Does not have a GPU that really can come close to anything the Atom/Ion combo delivers.

borntochill

join:2003-02-09
united state
reply to mgraves1
said by mgraves1:

Anyone know what the real-world power footprint looks like running PiaF 2 on one of these thin clients such as the HP T5565? Its power supply is rated at 65w but will it actually use that much?

For us, it's a consideration since there is the question of whether the added PBX versatility/utility is worth the roughly extra $80-90 per year in electricity going forward in our SOHO setup. I'm aware of PlugPBX alternatives, but the relative ease of installation and power of a PiaF installation sounds much more appealing since I'm inexperienced in both Linux and Asterisk.

The main goal is GV integration with new IP phones so maybe something like $35/year SIPSorcery plan or using an Obi110 as a proxy might be more cost effective. Dunno.

Trimline
Premium
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms

1 edit
said by borntochill:

said by mgraves1:

Anyone know what the real-world power footprint looks like running PiaF 2 on one of these thin clients such as the HP T5565? Its power supply is rated at 65w but will it actually use that much?

For us, it's a consideration since there is the question of whether the added PBX versatility/utility is worth the roughly extra $80-90 per year in electricity going forward in our SOHO setup. I'm aware of PlugPBX alternatives, but the relative ease of installation and power of a PiaF installation sounds much more appealing since I'm inexperienced in both Linux and Asterisk.

The main goal is GV integration with new IP phones so maybe something like $35/year SIPSorcery plan or using an Obi110 as a proxy might be more cost effective. Dunno.

On the Q180, and I'm sure most of the related siblings, the power is quoted as:

Save Energy—and Money.
Power consumption for most tasks is only 20W, making the Q180 exceptionally energy efficient. Indeed, it uses 80 percent less energy than a traditional desktop, helping the environment and keeping your electricity bills low.

»shop.lenovo.com/us/itemdetails/3···CC8A1ACC

Running these small foot prints on Linux would not consume as much monthly $$ as a hosted service. I'm not sure what a few ATA's consume, but I'm going to guess it would be about the same, or less, as hosting your own small server. Certainly not $80-$90 per year.

Edit: Added my own annual costs for electricity:

20 Watts × 24 hours/day × 365 days/year) ÷ 1000
= 48 kWh × 14.5 cents/kWh
= $6.96/year ÷ 12
= .58 per month

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to mazilo
said by mazilo:

said by FiReSTaRT:

With that being said, I use on of those little ATOM boxes (an Acer Aspire REVO 3610) as my main media player (Linux + XBMC).

I don't know how much you had spent your $$$ on the hardware to do XBMC. However, I believe one can achieve the same (and may be better) for as little as $25 with a RaspBerryPi (NOT RaspBerryPie).

About $200 shipped, without an OS (not that I needed one) at the time when RaspberryPi wasn't even on the horizon. Not sure how good it is at decoding compressed hidef video, but who knows.. The REVO has been serving me well since 09
--
—George Bernard Shaw

mgraves1
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to borntochill
said by borntochill:

I've used T5700 series for several years and in various capacities. The models that I have were recycled. That is, they were being sent to Dell to be recycled by a major broadcaster. A friend saw the box and held it for me. Since they pay Dell to recycle that sort of thing it was as win-win.

Mine are older so Transmeta Crusoe CPUs, but my kilawatt meter proves to me that they don't ever draw more than 11 watts. That even after I installed a laptop hard drive and a second NIC in an expansion chasis.

Since I live in hurricane alley I'm very concerned about power draw on UPS/generator. These thin clients are in fact the smallest power draw in my entire arsenal of technology.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

mgraves1
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

As much as a love the RasBerry Pi, lets be honest.

1) It has yet to ship
3) Does not come with a power supply, or USB network dongle, USB harddrive, or USB hub or many other necessary items to make this a working HTPC system (read: its not really $25)
4) Does not have a GPU that really can come close to anything the Atom/Ion combo delivers.

As someone who once tried running Astlinux on Gumstix you are 100% right on-the-money. There's a huge difference between testbed platforms for experimentation and production systems, even for home use. I still have the Gumstix hardware, but it sits idle, too inconvenient to stay in use.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

borntochill

united state
reply to Trimline
said by Trimline:

On the Q180, and I'm sure most of the related siblings, the power is quoted as:

Save Energy—and Money.
Power consumption for most tasks is only 20W, making the Q180 exceptionally energy efficient. Indeed, it uses 80 percent less energy than a traditional desktop, helping the environment and keeping your electricity bills low.

»shop.lenovo.com/us/itemdetails/3···CC8A1ACC

Running these small foot prints on Linux would not consume as much monthly $$ as a hosted service. I'm not sure what a few ATA's consume, but I'm going to guess it would be about the same, or less, as hosting your own small server. Certainly not $80-$90 per year.

Edit: Added my own annual costs for electricity:

= $6.96/year ÷ 12
= .58 per month

That's very helpful, although I believe your calculation is wrong. Wouldn't that be 175.2 kWh per year? If so, 20W @ 14.5cents/kWh, would give you an annual electricity cost of $25.40.

In my post above, I calculated 65W @ 15cents/kWh to be about $85.41/year extra electricity. If real-world usage is only 20 watts, that's a much more acceptable bite. Still I'd need to factor in both the electricity and hardware cost compared to, say, a $35/year SipSorcery plan which has no hardware/electricity expense.

I guess the question is: in a SOHO setting, do the added features of hosting one's own Asterisk server make it worth spending the extra money and time?

Edit: for the lazy, here is the first of numerous power cost calculators that came up in google: »www.citytrf.net/costs_calculator.htm.

borntochill

united state
reply to mgraves1
said by mgraves1:

I've used T5700 series for several years and in various capacities.
Mine are older so Transmeta Crusoe CPUs, but my kilawatt meter proves to me that they don't ever draw more than 11 watts. That even after I installed a laptop hard drive and a second NIC in an expansion chasis.

Good to know. Thanks.

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Anveo
·VMedia
reply to Trimline
said by Trimline:

= $6.96/year ÷ 12
= .58 per month

= 175.2 kWh × 14.5 cents/kWh
= $25.40/year ÷ 12
= $2.12 per month

[Edit] Just spotted borntochill's post. Sorry for the duplication.
--
DPC2100 - WRT610N - SPA2102 - Asterisk 1.8.10.0 on Xen Virtual Server
VoIP.MS - Voxbeam - Localphone - Numbergroup - IPKall - UKDDI

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
reply to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

1) It has yet to ship

Read this to find out more.

Not ATM. But, I hope it soon will be.

Read this to find out more.

Read the FAQ (see section: What SoC are you using?) and you will find out how many GPUs a RaspberryPi has.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

gweidenh

Houston, TX
I'm glad you agree with me.

Cal96

join:2004-11-05
Oceanside, CA
This was posted recently in the NSLU2-General forum regarding the Raspberry Pi. »tech.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/···age/8572

Although a very interesting device for its intended educational purpose, the Raspberry Pi will have a few strikes going against it as a replacement for the NSLU2 with regards to being NAS. First, for the time being, it doesn't ship with a case and it's a bit vulnerable being naked. Also, from information in the RPi forums, it doesn't look like its USB ports will deliver enough current to power a 2.5" USB hard drive whereas the NSLU2 can.

borntochill

united state
reply to Trimline
The Foxconn nT435H Book-size Intel Atom D425 barebones kit was on sale yesterday at Newegg for just $89.99 with a promo code. Dude!

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···56119051

I ordered one. When it arrives I'll throw a stick of RAM and a used laptop drive in it and take it out for a spin with PiaF 2. I think it's back to $129 today but various flavors of these Foxconn kits go on sale periodically at Newegg so this probably isn't your last opportunity to pick one up on the cheap.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Are you shitting me? I signed up for price alerts, and they didn't send me squat. I've even been checking NewEgg daily. Bastards.
--
...because I care.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to borntochill
They have a forum to share deals like that. I've picked up a few good things. I have it in my favorites so I see any new posts.

»Users find Hot Deals