mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to gweidenh

Re: [Equipment] For Those Looking for an Atom Based PC For Aster

said by gweidenh:

As much as a love the RasBerry Pi, lets be honest.

1) It has yet to ship
2) Has no US distribution
3) Does not come with a power supply, or USB network dongle, USB harddrive, or USB hub or many other necessary items to make this a working HTPC system (read: its not really $25)
4) Does not have a GPU that really can come close to anything the Atom/Ion combo delivers.

As someone who once tried running Astlinux on Gumstix you are 100% right on-the-money. There's a huge difference between testbed platforms for experimentation and production systems, even for home use. I still have the Gumstix hardware, but it sits idle, too inconvenient to stay in use.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

borntochill

join:2003-02-09
united state
reply to Trimline

said by Trimline:

On the Q180, and I'm sure most of the related siblings, the power is quoted as:

Save Energy—and Money.
Power consumption for most tasks is only 20W, making the Q180 exceptionally energy efficient. Indeed, it uses 80 percent less energy than a traditional desktop, helping the environment and keeping your electricity bills low.

»shop.lenovo.com/us/itemdetails/3···CC8A1ACC

Running these small foot prints on Linux would not consume as much monthly $$ as a hosted service. I'm not sure what a few ATA's consume, but I'm going to guess it would be about the same, or less, as hosting your own small server. Certainly not $80-$90 per year.

Edit: Added my own annual costs for electricity:

20 Watts × 24 hours/day × 365 days/year) ÷ 1000
= 48 kWh × 14.5 cents/kWh
= $6.96/year ÷ 12
= .58 per month

That's very helpful, although I believe your calculation is wrong. Wouldn't that be 175.2 kWh per year? If so, 20W @ 14.5cents/kWh, would give you an annual electricity cost of $25.40.

In my post above, I calculated 65W @ 15cents/kWh to be about $85.41/year extra electricity. If real-world usage is only 20 watts, that's a much more acceptable bite. Still I'd need to factor in both the electricity and hardware cost compared to, say, a $35/year SipSorcery plan which has no hardware/electricity expense.

I guess the question is: in a SOHO setting, do the added features of hosting one's own Asterisk server make it worth spending the extra money and time?

Edit: for the lazy, here is the first of numerous power cost calculators that came up in google: »www.citytrf.net/costs_calculator.htm.

borntochill

united state
reply to mgraves1

said by mgraves1:

I've used T5700 series for several years and in various capacities.
Mine are older so Transmeta Crusoe CPUs, but my kilawatt meter proves to me that they don't ever draw more than 11 watts. That even after I installed a laptop hard drive and a second NIC in an expansion chasis.

Good to know. Thanks.

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Anveo
reply to Trimline

said by Trimline:

= 48 kWh × 14.5 cents/kWh
= $6.96/year ÷ 12
= .58 per month

= 175.2 kWh × 14.5 cents/kWh
= $25.40/year ÷ 12
= $2.12 per month

[Edit] Just spotted borntochill's post. Sorry for the duplication.
--
DPC2100 - WRT610N - SPA2102 - Asterisk 1.8.10.0 on Xen Virtual Server
VoIP.MS - Voxbeam - Localphone - Numbergroup - IPKall - UKDDI

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
reply to gweidenh

said by gweidenh:

1) It has yet to ship

Read this to find out more.

2) Has no US distribution

Not ATM. But, I hope it soon will be.

3) Does not come with a power supply, or USB network dongle, USB harddrive, or USB hub or many other necessary items to make this a working HTPC system (read: its not really $25)

Read this to find out more.

4) Does not have a GPU that really can come close to anything the Atom/Ion combo delivers.

Read the FAQ (see section: What SoC are you using?) and you will find out how many GPUs a RaspberryPi has.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3

I'm glad you agree with me.

Cal96

join:2004-11-05
Oceanside, CA

This was posted recently in the NSLU2-General forum regarding the Raspberry Pi. »tech.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/···age/8572

Although a very interesting device for its intended educational purpose, the Raspberry Pi will have a few strikes going against it as a replacement for the NSLU2 with regards to being NAS. First, for the time being, it doesn't ship with a case and it's a bit vulnerable being naked. Also, from information in the RPi forums, it doesn't look like its USB ports will deliver enough current to power a 2.5" USB hard drive whereas the NSLU2 can.

borntochill

united state
reply to Trimline

The Foxconn nT435H Book-size Intel Atom D425 barebones kit was on sale yesterday at Newegg for just $89.99 with a promo code. Dude!

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···56119051

I ordered one. When it arrives I'll throw a stick of RAM and a used laptop drive in it and take it out for a spin with PiaF 2. I think it's back to $129 today but various flavors of these Foxconn kits go on sale periodically at Newegg so this probably isn't your last opportunity to pick one up on the cheap.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

Are you shitting me? I signed up for price alerts, and they didn't send me squat. I've even been checking NewEgg daily. Bastards.
--
...because I care.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to borntochill

They have a forum to share deals like that. I've picked up a few good things. I have it in my favorites so I see any new posts.

»Users find Hot Deals

borntochill

united state
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Are you shitting me? I signed up for price alerts, and they didn't send me squat. I've even been checking NewEgg daily. Bastards.

The problem with the Newegg price alerts is that they won't help if the discount is delivered through a promo code, which was the case yesterday. The price was still $129.99 but the code knocked $40 off in the shopping cart.

I found the deal on FatWallet last night just before I went to sleep and probably barely beat the deal deadline. You might want to put a Foxconn price alert with FW too in case somebody posts the deal there next time.

borntochill

united state
reply to billaustin

said by billaustin:

They have a forum to share deals like that. I've picked up a few good things. I have it in my favorites so I see any new posts.

»Users find Hot Deals

That Hot Deals forum seems awfully low traffic. I don't think a lot of people read it. If I hear about another Foxconn deal, I'll be sure to post it on this forum which does get a fair amount of traffic.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to borntochill

said by borntochill:

The Foxconn nT435H Book-size Intel Atom D425 barebones kit was on sale yesterday at Newegg for just $89.99 with a promo code.

I saw that too, but I had recently bought an Intel D525MW mobo with a rackmount case that Newegg had on sale for $109. I still need a power supply and a stick of DDR3 before I put it to use.

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
reply to mgraves1

said by mgraves1:

Just a few days ago I posted something related this regarding hp thin clients.

»www.mgraves.org/2012/03/hp-thin-···n-hosts/

These can be had with Atom or Via cpus for under $200 ready to roll.

Ordered an HP t5565 Thin Client - do you have any notes to share on installing Asterisk? Or is this just a regular install once memory is added.

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3

My advise is not Asterisk specific, but for any embedded linux distribution.

When using a thin client, you will likely be using a Disk on Module, or DOM. Think of this as a small SSD drive that is intended to boot the operating system on the device.

I actually wrote a blog post about this for pfsense. Many of the same rules will apply for Asterisk.

»www.hammerweb.com/blog/2011/11/p···-client/

The key issue is that with any flash media, their lifespan is greatly reduced if you perform a lot of writes from the device. The best way to use these devices is simply to boot and then run from a RamDisk.

This means you will want to use a distribution specifically designed to be a for an embedded device. This generally means that writes are minimized and log files are kept in RAM.

There are two ways of getting this OS image onto the DOM module. I prefer to use a USB CD-ROM and install the OS much like you would do on any computer. However, you must delete the swap partition during the drive setup, and you will need to choose the embedded kernel during the install.

Another popular method is to use a Linux Live CD and boot into a linux environment. Then, using the 'dd' command, you copy the .img file over to the DOM.

Of course, if your thin client has a traditional HDD, then all of the above can be ignored.

mgraves1
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to Trimline

said by Trimline:

Ordered an HP t5565 Thin Client - do you have any notes to share on installing Asterisk? Or is this just a regular install once memory is added.

With respect to Asterisk here's an older piece, not based on a thin client, be an embeded approach: »www.mgraves.org/?p=1092

Then there's a music server project based upon a T5700: »www.mgraves.org/2009/01/how-to-d···p-t5700/

The mechanics of the project should be transferable.

Michael
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

scott2020

join:2008-07-20
MO
reply to mgraves1

Never mind, I finished reading the thread. Not used to the iPad yet I guess...

mgraves1
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to gweidenh

said by gweidenh:

The key issue is that with any flash media, their lifespan is greatly reduced if you perform a lot of writes from the device. The best way to use these devices is simply to boot and then run from a RamDisk.

This means you will want to use a distribution specifically designed to be a for an embedded device. This generally means that writes are minimized and log files are kept in RAM.

There are two ways of getting this OS image onto the DOM module. I prefer to use a USB CD-ROM and install the OS much like you would do on any computer. However, you must delete the swap partition during the drive setup, and you will need to choose the embedded kernel during the install.

If you use an embedded Asterisk distro like Astlinux (»http://www.astlinux.org/) or Askozia (»www.askozia.com/diet/) then all of this is handled for you. They're specifically designed around operating from small format hardware, booting from Flash media.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to Trimline

I just ordered my new asterisk "server". This will be the first time I'm not running on actual server equipment.
I got:
1 x ($159.99) Foxconn NTA350-0H0W-B-A-NA AMD Hudson D1 1 x 204Pin AMD Radeon HD 6310 Black Mini / Booksize Barebone System $159.99
1 x ($81.00) OCZ Petrol PTL1-25SAT3-64G 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $81.00
1 x ($22.99) Kingston 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory Model KVR1066D3S7/4G $22.99
Subtotal: $263.98
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Total Amount: $263.98

I decided to spend the extra and get the dual core. Cant wait to try it out.
--
...because I care.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4

said by nunya:

I just ordered my new asterisk "server". This will be the first time I'm not running on actual server equipment.
I got:
1 x ($159.99) Foxconn NTA350-0H0W-B-A-NA AMD Hudson D1 1 x 204Pin AMD Radeon HD 6310 Black Mini / Booksize Barebone System $159.99
1 x ($81.00) OCZ Petrol PTL1-25SAT3-64G 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $81.00
1 x ($22.99) Kingston 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory Model KVR1066D3S7/4G $22.99
Subtotal: $263.98
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Total Amount: $263.98

I decided to spend the extra and get the dual core. Cant wait to try it out.

I sure would like to see if you can report back how much the system will consume electricity once you get it up running.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

borntochill

united state
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

I got:

Congrats! I've had my eye on that box too. It might even have enough horsepower to set up as a virtualization platform with an asterisk server being just one of its apps. Let us know how it works out.

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

Just an FYI, it came in earlier this week. I was able to load PIAF Red 64 bit and run on it.
A couple of side notes: The manufacturer only gives "Windows" support on this machine (Foxconn NTA350-0H0W-B-A-NA). After I installed PIAF, I lost all graphics (X). Since this is a headless unit, it doesn't matter much to me. Wireless is a no-go too.
I have not been able to find a linux video driver for the AMD Radeon HD 6310.
For shits and grins, I loaded windows 7 64 bit, and it's just fine and dandy.

Now for the good stuff. I decided to play around with it, and loaded Proxmox. Went off without a hitch. I then loaded PIAF Purple 64 bit in a container. It's up and running. I have not put it into production, and will not until I get a chance to burn it in and kick the tires.

I'm kind of stunned that this thing is running as a virtual host and doesn't seem to mind at all. What's crazy is this thing boots so fast it's almost unreal. I'd say less than ten seconds, and I'm not exaggerating.
I may try putting sugar, or FreeSwitch, or a couple of low volume websites on the other half.

I'll check the power draw later, but something tells me it's going to be much less than my old Dell 1650 that * is currently residing on.
--
...because I care.

BigMac777

join:2001-07-21
Green Valley, AZ
reply to Trimline

Shouldn't this be moved to the deals section? Don't understand why it's here. This is the VOIP section right?

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO

Why? It clearly says "Equipment" in the thread topic. We are discussing VoIP equipment. The topic is very relevant here.
--
...because I care.

Trimline
Premium
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

I have not been able to find a linux video driver for the AMD Radeon HD 6310.

I have bags under my eyes now working with these AMD Radeon videos. I grabbed the Q180, guess what, same issue, or similar to yours.

After the system installed and rebooted, all I got was this thin line on the top of the screen. Couldn't do a thing in Linux. Turns out, there are a number of Kernel bugs written around these drivers. A fix is to cascade down to PIAF in a month or so. Even a fresh install of RH did not correct the issue. I read Ubuntu and the like are all affected.

Your method of installation is probably the best. Keep us posted.

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

I got a bunch of thin horizontal lines at the top, and "static" on the bottom. I'm still kicking this box around. I added Sugar CRM, IncrediblePBX3, and IncredibleFAX2 - so far it hasn't blinked. Right now, I just have the fax DID, a Google Voice DID, and 1 residential DID on the system with 2 extensions.
--
...because I care.

Trimline
Premium
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms

Out of sheer frustration, I ordered one of these »www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Intel-Bareb···1&sr=8-1

The prices have sky-rocketed, but my entire system was around $250 with 8 Gig memory and hard drive. My old PIAF was on a quiet Lenovo Q100 but I got the famed message 'no longer supported" message. I did a reimplementation of PIAF on the Zotac and went live today after running load-n-soak for about 2 weeks. This box runs a bit warm, but screams. The Q100 will be re-imaged with PIAF and I may reinstate that as a production box; not sure yet.

I'm in deviceandenduser mode with 16 devices and 4 VoIP providers. This box doesn't even breath. The X Windows is beautiful as well, although Centos 6 applications are sorely lacking.

As far as wireless goes, I did get this box in WiFI mode. Problem is that PIAF in its native mode, does not support wlan0 fail2ban. My solution was to get one of these : »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KP···_details In "N" mode, the puppy still screams.

I will only use this method in the summer months in the peak of thunderstorm season (I've been hit by lightning twice), hence, I always have a backup system.