Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER

Premium Member

[Rant] Acer piece of junk...

I repaired an Acer 5542 laptop because it was infected with some sort of rootkit that the owner had managed to get.
[It is generally a good idea not to run the system as the administrator... which allowed it to get furthor into the system]

First I tried the usual... Spybot S&D, Mbam etc... that did not work, [I downloaded the programs using another computer and to make sure it was not infected as well - scanned with a/v- tested clean.]
Installed spybot, tried running it- it had a warning message come up, your system may be infected.. well I knew that- had it try to scan the system to remove the problem.. it failed.
[I copied the installer from a dvd to the hard drive- checked the md5 of both files- the one on the disc was correct- the other was not.] I already had the any important data already backed up... well before the computer was infected.
Decided to go ahead and format it, using the Windows 7 installer and have it install Home Premium x64 [has MS COA].. completes the format gets to the 'Expanding files... was at 90% error 0x80070570.. very common error..
Tried the same disc in virtual box... it worked. Tried downloading a disc image from Digital River and burn and 2.4x.. also failed.
Virtual Box- »www.virtualbox.org/
Ordered the factory restore set from Acer.. it failed to restore- error 'WIMApplyImage cannot apply image'. [Acers recovery program had copied the 3rd dvd to the hard drive when it errored out.
Using Virtual Box [with Windows 7 64 OS.] on 32 bit host.. I ran the restore and it worked.. Installed True Image +Plus Pack- had it backup to a 16 gig usb flash drive, and make it bootable. [
Ran the TI restore on the laptop.. it worked [used the univarsal restore- due to numerous hardware diffrences.] The system detected the hardware and set it up..

The real rant is that the Acer eRecovery program [which is MS Windows PE based btw] doesn't always work- The real credit goes to Acronis True Image.. which works more often then Acers own recovery! I will however be recommending people use True Image..

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

I had a rook kit from a bad download a few weeks ago.
Nothing would remove it using all the tools you listed even in safemode.
I found this: Kaspersky Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller
»support.kaspersky.com/fa ··· 08283363
Worked in about 2 minutes and removed it.
It is a great tool for rootkits

cabana
Department of Adjustments
Mod
join:2000-07-07
New York, NY

2 recommendations

cabana to AMDUSER

Mod

to AMDUSER
Been there ... done that ... and to add insult to injury ... My Acer went on two fun filled vacation trips back to the Acer "repair" shop ... I am assuming that the Acer had a great time because it came back installed with its very own pr0n collection... when I called to inquire "what the hell" ... I was told no big deal... I should simply wipe it off my computer "these things happen" and prolly "some tech" was "testing" my Acer to see that he had repaired it ... I felt the need to bleach my computer after that comment!

Enjoying my Macs ... and the Acer ... might have suffered a fatal blow (ThatHadNothingToDoWithTheLargeHammerOnMyDesk)

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

1 edit

AMDUSER to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
Hmm... I may have to add that to my list of tools to try.
I do however, have the computer up and running atm.. installing a/v etc.. before taking it online. Will be setting up a non-admin account for regular day-to-day use and password protecting the admin account.

Side note: If I actually owned this computer, I would have parted it out on eBay, after running DBAN on the drive for 7 passes.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe to AMDUSER

to AMDUSER
Had a problem like that, Tried reinstalling Windows 7 to get rid of a nasty rootkit, in fact I tried to do it 3 times & it died near the end 3 times. Finally decided to just reformat & install Ubuntu 10.04. It installed fine, drive looked ok, so I reformatted and tried reinstalling Windows 7 again, this time no problems. Go figure?

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to AMDUSER

Premium Member

to AMDUSER
Sounds like something got buggered good on that unit...I have an Acer 5050 from 2006 that refuses to quit. It looks like crap (the layer of silver plastic is paper thin and wears to black in spots) but keeps on going.

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to AMDUSER

to AMDUSER
No problems with Acer too here... got an old one that is about from 2006 too. It's ugly, but still works fine and the battery is still good enough too. Since I've got something stronger now I use it as a small server with no need for an UPS
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to AMDUSER

Premium Member

to AMDUSER
Posting from a acer. just keeps kicking.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to AMDUSER

Premium Member

to AMDUSER
I never liked Acer's recovery. HP is one of the better ones
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to Santa Fe

to Santa Fe
said by Santa Fe:

Had a problem like that, Tried reinstalling Windows 7 to get rid of a nasty rootkit, in fact I tried to do it 3 times & it died near the end 3 times. Finally decided to just reformat & install Ubuntu 10.04. It installed fine, drive looked ok, so I reformatted and tried reinstalling Windows 7 again, this time no problems. Go figure?

So why not stick with Linux and reduce your risk of being pwnt by 99%?

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe

I did go back to Xubuntu 10.10. Just wanted to see if formatting with Linux would fix the problem.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned)

said by Santa Fe:

I did go back to Xubuntu 10.10. Just wanted to see if formatting with Linux would fix the problem.

Eh, I tried Ubuntu Studio 11.10 which is now using XFCE and ended up upgrading to Linux Mint 12 for Mate and Cinnamon. It's based on Ubuntu so yes, it was an actual upgrade lol. All the Ubuntu 3rd party repos and PPAs work fine with it etc.