share rss forum feed

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to mazilo

Re: [Equipment] For Those Looking for an Atom Based PC For Aster

As much as a love the RasBerry Pi, lets be honest.

1) It has yet to ship
2) Has no US distribution
3) Does not come with a power supply, or USB network dongle, USB harddrive, or USB hub or many other necessary items to make this a working HTPC system (read: its not really $25)
4) Does not have a GPU that really can come close to anything the Atom/Ion combo delivers.

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
kudos:1
said by gweidenh:

As much as a love the RasBerry Pi, lets be honest.

1) It has yet to ship
3) Does not come with a power supply, or USB network dongle, USB harddrive, or USB hub or many other necessary items to make this a working HTPC system (read: its not really $25)
4) Does not have a GPU that really can come close to anything the Atom/Ion combo delivers.

As someone who once tried running Astlinux on Gumstix you are 100% right on-the-money. There's a huge difference between testbed platforms for experimentation and production systems, even for home use. I still have the Gumstix hardware, but it sits idle, too inconvenient to stay in use.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
reply to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

1) It has yet to ship

Read this to find out more.

Not ATM. But, I hope it soon will be.

Read this to find out more.

Read the FAQ (see section: What SoC are you using?) and you will find out how many GPUs a RaspberryPi has.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3
I'm glad you agree with me.

Cal96

join:2004-11-05
Oceanside, CA
This was posted recently in the NSLU2-General forum regarding the Raspberry Pi. »tech.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/···age/8572

Although a very interesting device for its intended educational purpose, the Raspberry Pi will have a few strikes going against it as a replacement for the NSLU2 with regards to being NAS. First, for the time being, it doesn't ship with a case and it's a bit vulnerable being naked. Also, from information in the RPi forums, it doesn't look like its USB ports will deliver enough current to power a 2.5" USB hard drive whereas the NSLU2 can.