All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jjanarth6
join:2003-07-04
Tucson, AZ

jjanarth6

Wow Internet Connection Dropping for 30 seconds to 2 min ??

I am in Troy, MI. Past few weeks the internet connection will drop for 30 seconds to 2 min every few hours. First I thought it was my wireless so I ended up moving to a Wired connection but still face this issue. This happens mostly when I am doing Skype calls or GoToMeeting presentations. May be its happening other times but these are the times I notice.

Any one else have same type of issues

Jay

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

mix

Mine has been working fine over here in Shelby Twp. You were using wireless, does that mean you had your own wireless router, or were/are you using a router that is built into the cable modem?
gene32
join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH

gene32 to jjanarth6

to jjanarth6
said by jjanarth6:

I am in Troy, MI. Past few weeks the internet connection will drop for 30 seconds to 2 min every few hours. First I thought it was my wireless so I ended up moving to a Wired connection but still face this issue. This happens mostly when I am doing Skype calls or GoToMeeting presentations. May be its happening other times but these are the times I notice.

Any one else have same type of issues

Jay

I think somebody mentioned a similar problem a while back in maybe the Ultra TV thread. I've experienced the following problem on my hard wired PC where when I'm surfing around; port 80 traffic seems to go into some sort of black hole for 30-60 seconds then returns. Other traffic is not affected, just browsing. I don't think this is tied to Ultra TV because I had this problem when I was using my own cable modem and own router. Like if I request google.com and hit enter, FireFox will just sit there for 30-60 seconds and then bring up Google. It never times out, just pauses for a LONG time then keeps trucking for an hour or so then problem repeats. I think I'm going to change the lease time on the Arris gateway from 60 minutes to 6 hours and see if that solves it.
srty
join:2012-03-11
Troy, MI

srty to jjanarth6

to jjanarth6
Wow I thought I was alone. I'm also in Troy, MI, and I'll be playing an online game. Suddenly, the connection will drop, for roughly 30 seconds. It drives me nuts. At least for me, this problem began in the last 2 weeks.

mix
Romeo, MI

mix

Interesting. It would be even more interesting if both you guys were using the same CMTS.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to jjanarth6

Premium Member

to jjanarth6
If you guys can send me your account information, I can try and take a closer look. There are two CMTSs in Troy, I will take a peek at both of them, but having specific modems to look at would make locating a potential problem easier.
gene32
join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH

gene32 to srty

to srty
said by srty:

Wow I thought I was alone. I'm also in Troy, MI, and I'll be playing an online game. Suddenly, the connection will drop, for roughly 30 seconds. It drives me nuts. At least for me, this problem began in the last 2 weeks.

I play a lot of Tribes Ascend (several hours a night, 2 or 3 times a week) and never had problems with the game disconnecting, only with web surfing pausing for 30-60 seconds. WOW_Dan, I don't live in Michigan but do you still want my account info?

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by gene32:

said by srty:

I play a lot of Tribes Ascend (several hours a night, 2 or 3 times a week) and never had problems with the game disconnecting, only with web surfing pausing for 30-60 seconds. WOW_Dan, I don't live in Michigan but do you still want my account info?

That was directed at jjanarth6 and srty. I have your account info already Gene. That doesn't really sound like a problem on our end, but maybe something internal. Do you experience that issue on multiple computers (that is if you have multiple computers)?
jjanarth6
join:2003-07-04
Tucson, AZ

jjanarth6

Dan

I have sent my account details. I do not do much web browsing so if this happens a lot I am not noticing, how ever when I am doing a Skype Call, RDP connection or GoToMeeting presentations I will see this drop, the network will disconnect for for about 30 seconds , a complete disconnect with not traffic on any ports then it will be back.

I am directly connected to the modem through a switch. I have played around with few switches but still the same issue.

Jay
ajz8
join:2012-03-22
Birmingham, MI

ajz8 to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
Dan - I'm around the corner from the users in Troy. Am in Birmingham and having exact same issues. Frustrating. Any updates to the problem?
Dagnabit
join:2007-02-17
Warren, MI

Dagnabit to jjanarth6

to jjanarth6
I am still having this issue. Every 10-30 minutes, the wireless connection will drop for about 2 minutes. This happens on my Windows and my Son's iMac, at the same time. Is there a resolve?
It doesn't happen on my hardwired Mac Mini, that's a steady connection, only happens over wireless.

mix
Romeo, MI

mix

If it's only over wireless... well I guess my question would be then, is the wireless built into the cable modem, or are you using your own router?
Dagnabit
Warren, MI

Dagnabit

said by mix:

If it's only over wireless... well I guess my question would be then, is the wireless built into the cable modem, or are you using your own router?

I'm using the router built in to the Ultra TV gateway.
potance
join:2012-01-20
Utica, MI

potance to jjanarth6

to jjanarth6
Wow_Dan, I get this as well in Shelby Twp MI. You should still have my info to look at, but let me know if you need it again.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

We are working with the manufacturer of the modems to troubleshoot issues with the NAT translation on the built in routers. At this time, I don't have any more information on it. If your modem has a built in router and you want to resolve this issue, you can put the modem into a bridged mode and disable the router to resolve it. This does not work with Ultra TV currently, as you can not bridge the gateway. We are looking for a solution at this time. If your software that is disconnecting allows you to set a keep-alive, that should also help to resolve the issue as well.
Dagnabit
Warren, MI

Dagnabit

said by Just_Dan:

We are working with the manufacturer of the modems to troubleshoot issues with the NAT translation on the built in routers. At this time, I don't have any more information on it. If your modem has a built in router and you want to resolve this issue, you can put the modem into a bridged mode and disable the router to resolve it. This does not work with Ultra TV currently, as you can not bridge the gateway. We are looking for a solution at this time. If your software that is disconnecting allows you to set a keep-alive, that should also help to resolve the issue as well.

Dan, any estimate on when this will be fixed? VERY frustrating.
tmitche2
join:2002-12-22
Utica, MI

tmitche2

I was having this problem with ultra dropping out quite a bit. I turned off the wireless on their router and reconnected my old router turning off DHCP on it so I was still getting fed from the gateway for ip but I'm using it for wireless and have had no drops in over 3 weeks since making that change.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to Dagnabit

Premium Member

to Dagnabit
said by Dagnabit:

said by Just_Dan:

Dan, any estimate on when this will be fixed? VERY frustrating.

I can't give any estimate at this time, I don't know any more about this than what I have mentioned.
Expand your moderator at work