uniqs
borntochill
join:2003-02-09
united state

borntochill to mgraves1

to mgraves1

Re: [Equipment] For Those Looking for an Atom Based PC For Aster

said by mgraves1:

Just a few days ago I posted something related this regarding hp thin clients.

»www.mgraves.org/2012/03/ ··· n-hosts/

These can be had with Atom or Via cpus for under $200 ready to roll.

Anyone know what the real-world power footprint looks like running PiaF 2 on one of these thin clients such as the HP T5565? Its power supply is rated at 65w but will it actually use that much?

For us, it's a consideration since there is the question of whether the added PBX versatility/utility is worth the roughly extra $80-90 per year in electricity going forward in our SOHO setup. I'm aware of PlugPBX alternatives, but the relative ease of installation and power of a PiaF installation sounds much more appealing since I'm inexperienced in both Linux and Asterisk.

The main goal is GV integration with new IP phones so maybe something like $35/year SIPSorcery plan or using an Obi110 as a proxy might be more cost effective. Dunno.

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

1 edit

Trimline

Premium Member

said by borntochill:

said by mgraves1:

Just a few days ago I posted something related this regarding hp thin clients.

»www.mgraves.org/2012/03/ ··· n-hosts/

These can be had with Atom or Via cpus for under $200 ready to roll.

Anyone know what the real-world power footprint looks like running PiaF 2 on one of these thin clients such as the HP T5565? Its power supply is rated at 65w but will it actually use that much?

For us, it's a consideration since there is the question of whether the added PBX versatility/utility is worth the roughly extra $80-90 per year in electricity going forward in our SOHO setup. I'm aware of PlugPBX alternatives, but the relative ease of installation and power of a PiaF installation sounds much more appealing since I'm inexperienced in both Linux and Asterisk.

The main goal is GV integration with new IP phones so maybe something like $35/year SIPSorcery plan or using an Obi110 as a proxy might be more cost effective. Dunno.

On the Q180, and I'm sure most of the related siblings, the power is quoted as:

Save Energy—and Money.
Power consumption for most tasks is only 20W, making the Q180 exceptionally energy efficient. Indeed, it uses 80 percent less energy than a traditional desktop, helping the environment and keeping your electricity bills low.

»shop.lenovo.com/us/itemd ··· CC8A1ACC

Running these small foot prints on Linux would not consume as much monthly $$ as a hosted service. I'm not sure what a few ATA's consume, but I'm going to guess it would be about the same, or less, as hosting your own small server. Certainly not $80-$90 per year.

Edit: Added my own annual costs for electricity:

20 Watts × 24 hours/day × 365 days/year) ÷ 1000
= 48 kWh × 14.5 cents/kWh
= $6.96/year ÷ 12
= .58 per month

mgraves1
Premium Member
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX

mgraves1 to borntochill

Premium Member

to borntochill
said by borntochill:

I've used T5700 series for several years and in various capacities. The models that I have were recycled. That is, they were being sent to Dell to be recycled by a major broadcaster. A friend saw the box and held it for me. Since they pay Dell to recycle that sort of thing it was as win-win.

Mine are older so Transmeta Crusoe CPUs, but my kilawatt meter proves to me that they don't ever draw more than 11 watts. That even after I installed a laptop hard drive and a second NIC in an expansion chasis.

Since I live in hurricane alley I'm very concerned about power draw on UPS/generator. These thin clients are in fact the smallest power draw in my entire arsenal of technology.
borntochill
join:2003-02-09
united state

borntochill to Trimline

to Trimline
said by Trimline:

On the Q180, and I'm sure most of the related siblings, the power is quoted as:

Save Energy—and Money.
Power consumption for most tasks is only 20W, making the Q180 exceptionally energy efficient. Indeed, it uses 80 percent less energy than a traditional desktop, helping the environment and keeping your electricity bills low.

»shop.lenovo.com/us/itemd ··· CC8A1ACC

Running these small foot prints on Linux would not consume as much monthly $$ as a hosted service. I'm not sure what a few ATA's consume, but I'm going to guess it would be about the same, or less, as hosting your own small server. Certainly not $80-$90 per year.

Edit: Added my own annual costs for electricity:

= $6.96/year ÷ 12
= .58 per month

That's very helpful, although I believe your calculation is wrong. Wouldn't that be 175.2 kWh per year? If so, 20W @ 14.5cents/kWh, would give you an annual electricity cost of $25.40.

In my post above, I calculated 65W @ 15cents/kWh to be about $85.41/year extra electricity. If real-world usage is only 20 watts, that's a much more acceptable bite. Still I'd need to factor in both the electricity and hardware cost compared to, say, a $35/year SipSorcery plan which has no hardware/electricity expense.

I guess the question is: in a SOHO setting, do the added features of hosting one's own Asterisk server make it worth spending the extra money and time?

Edit: for the lazy, here is the first of numerous power cost calculators that came up in google: »www.citytrf.net/costs_ca ··· ator.htm.
borntochill

borntochill to mgraves1

to mgraves1
said by mgraves1:

I've used T5700 series for several years and in various capacities.
Mine are older so Transmeta Crusoe CPUs, but my kilawatt meter proves to me that they don't ever draw more than 11 watts. That even after I installed a laptop hard drive and a second NIC in an expansion chasis.

Good to know. Thanks.
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total to Trimline

to Trimline
said by Trimline:

= $6.96/year ÷ 12
= .58 per month

= 175.2 kWh × 14.5 cents/kWh
= $25.40/year ÷ 12
= $2.12 per month

[Edit] Just spotted borntochill's post. Sorry for the duplication.