·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to borntochill

Re: [Equipment] For Those Looking for an Atom Based PC For Aster

said by borntochill:

said by mgraves1:

Just a few days ago I posted something related this regarding hp thin clients.

»www.mgraves.org/2012/03/hp-thin-···n-hosts/

These can be had with Atom or Via cpus for under $200 ready to roll.

Anyone know what the real-world power footprint looks like running PiaF 2 on one of these thin clients such as the HP T5565? Its power supply is rated at 65w but will it actually use that much?

For us, it's a consideration since there is the question of whether the added PBX versatility/utility is worth the roughly extra $80-90 per year in electricity going forward in our SOHO setup. I'm aware of PlugPBX alternatives, but the relative ease of installation and power of a PiaF installation sounds much more appealing since I'm inexperienced in both Linux and Asterisk.

The main goal is GV integration with new IP phones so maybe something like $35/year SIPSorcery plan or using an Obi110 as a proxy might be more cost effective. Dunno.

On the Q180, and I'm sure most of the related siblings, the power is quoted as:

Save Energy—and Money.
Power consumption for most tasks is only 20W, making the Q180 exceptionally energy efficient. Indeed, it uses 80 percent less energy than a traditional desktop, helping the environment and keeping your electricity bills low.

»shop.lenovo.com/us/itemdetails/3···CC8A1ACC

Running these small foot prints on Linux would not consume as much monthly $$ as a hosted service. I'm not sure what a few ATA's consume, but I'm going to guess it would be about the same, or less, as hosting your own small server. Certainly not $80-$90 per year.

Edit: Added my own annual costs for electricity:

20 Watts × 24 hours/day × 365 days/year) ÷ 1000
= 48 kWh × 14.5 cents/kWh
= $6.96/year ÷ 12
= .58 per month

borntochill

join:2003-02-09
united state
said by Trimline:

On the Q180, and I'm sure most of the related siblings, the power is quoted as:

Save Energy—and Money.
Power consumption for most tasks is only 20W, making the Q180 exceptionally energy efficient. Indeed, it uses 80 percent less energy than a traditional desktop, helping the environment and keeping your electricity bills low.

»shop.lenovo.com/us/itemdetails/3···CC8A1ACC

Running these small foot prints on Linux would not consume as much monthly $$ as a hosted service. I'm not sure what a few ATA's consume, but I'm going to guess it would be about the same, or less, as hosting your own small server. Certainly not $80-$90 per year.

Edit: Added my own annual costs for electricity:

= $6.96/year ÷ 12
= .58 per month

That's very helpful, although I believe your calculation is wrong. Wouldn't that be 175.2 kWh per year? If so, 20W @ 14.5cents/kWh, would give you an annual electricity cost of $25.40.

In my post above, I calculated 65W @ 15cents/kWh to be about $85.41/year extra electricity. If real-world usage is only 20 watts, that's a much more acceptable bite. Still I'd need to factor in both the electricity and hardware cost compared to, say, a $35/year SipSorcery plan which has no hardware/electricity expense.

I guess the question is: in a SOHO setting, do the added features of hosting one's own Asterisk server make it worth spending the extra money and time?

Edit: for the lazy, here is the first of numerous power cost calculators that came up in google: »www.citytrf.net/costs_calculator.htm.

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Anveo
reply to Trimline
said by Trimline:

= $6.96/year ÷ 12
= .58 per month

= 175.2 kWh × 14.5 cents/kWh
= $25.40/year ÷ 12
= $2.12 per month

[Edit] Just spotted borntochill's post. Sorry for the duplication.
--
DPC2100 - WRT610N - SPA2102 - Asterisk 1.8.10.0 on Xen Virtual Server
VoIP.MS - Voxbeam - Localphone - Numbergroup - IPKall - UKDDI