spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

robman50

join:2010-12-14

[Parts Check] HDD WEI score greater than 5.9

Is it possible to get an standard HDD to get an WEI score greater than 5.9? Or would an HDD score of 6.0+ only happen with an SSD?

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

You got it need an ssd.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to robman50

Sounds right HDD 5.9. I think Raid is around 6.2 WEI. I dont remember.

SSD is 7.x score I notice.

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI
reply to robman50

You might scrape 6.0 with RAID but the test is biased for SSD. I believe because of the 4KB random I/O, an HDD can't put a candle to an SSD in that aspect.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
reply to FizzyMyNizzy

I could be wrong but even hdd raid doesn't crack 5.9 in that stupid score. I have a raid0 that does over 200 MB/s and still 5.9.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY

Wont velociraptor on raid might pass it a little bit?

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10

Nope. RAID 0 with 15k SAS drives still doesn't break 5.9 WEI.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
reply to robman50

My RAID setup also registers a 5.9 score.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to robman50

Who cares about the WEI, isn't it a horribly meaningless thing?

GCoop

join:2004-12-08
Charlottesville, VA
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..

said by signmeuptoo:

Who cares about the WEI, isn't it a horribly meaningless thing?

Yes. But its a benchmark number dangit. We need , Strike that, WE MUST increase that number at all costs.... LOL

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
reply to signmeuptoo

Yep. I don't pay much attention to it myself.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to FizzyMyNizzy

Click for full size
said by FizzyMyNizzy:

Sounds right HDD 5.9. I think Raid is around 6.2 WEI. I dont remember.

SSD is 7.x score I notice.

in Win8 the score max goes to 9.9, though I haven't loaded Win8 on a SSD system so..

this WEI pic is from a ESXi VM with 4x 15k SAS drives in raid 5 with 512 Battery backed cache with Win8 (the vmware video driver failed to load btw)

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY

Windows 8 wont install on my 50gb Vertex 2 LOL. I hope it would install on my 60gb.. =S. I am waiting for W8 retail to come out first now.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to DarkLogix

I would test on the other ESXi (ie the production one but I'm not updating that host just to load a win8 vm)

the production ESXi has 8x 15k SAS drives in raid 5 w/ 512mb BBWC

robman50

reply to robman50

Would any of the 3rd gen SATA 6.0 Gb/s break that 5.9?
I might eventually make my system a RAID system with 2 SATA 6.0 Gb/s drives or just wait until the SSD prices come down more.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY

I have 7.7 WEI score using »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231377

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
reply to DarkLogix

What graphics card are you using.. 2.7 score??.. no graphics drivers installed?.. o_O..

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI
reply to robman50

No. 600MB/s far exceeds what any single hard drive can do any way. The test doesn't only test throughput, also random/access times and HDDs are way slower due to moving parts.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to FizzyMyNizzy

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

What graphics card are you using.. 2.7 score??.. no graphics drivers installed?.. o_O..

Its a VM on ESXi, so ya no video card in use, just a virtual video card, and VMware hasn't updated yet so no compatable driver yet.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to robman50

Just to show how pointless the WEI is; this »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···22148375 is the drive in my Optiplex 790 (SFF), which scores a 5.9 WEI. These »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···22148617 are the drives in this »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···59106086 which also score a 5.9 WEI.

robman50

reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

Its a VM on ESXi, so ya no video card in use, just a virtual video card, and VMware hasn't updated yet so no compatable driver yet.

I think VMWare just uses something like an low end SVGA virtual video card. It might also have 8 or 16MB VRAM.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by robman50:

said by DarkLogix:

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

I think VMWare just uses something like an low end SVGA virtual video card. It might also have 8 or 16MB VRAM.

Ya the vram is change-able (ie you can set it to whatever you want) but it's unable to start the driver provided by vmware tools

even if it did I doubt it would change the score much

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

It dosen't. I tried playing RA3 on a Win7 virtual machine using a thin client for kicks, and it lacked the ability to be anything greater than a slideshow.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

did you up the vvram (virtual video ram) that you allocated to it?

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

Of course. It has to do again with the drivers, and the way VDI works. VDI in general is horrible for most things that require lots of graphics processing power.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

1 edit

ya, just checking

imo someday VMware should make ESXi able to use cuda power to give VM's more power

then you could add on a tesla unit such as the Tesla M2090

btw does upping the VVram have any effect?

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to FizzyMyNizzy

Click for full size
what SSD are you running? I moved to a revo drive 120GB

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY

G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-60GBP2 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Not on raid of any kind. And on sata ii port. 7.7wei on the ssd.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to robman50

You guys understand that the WEI score isn't just a performance score, right? It's a capability score, with a performance modifier.

Some scores are capped (low AND high cap) depending on the presence of specific features, no matter how it performs. The performance will only affect ranking within those caps. Microsoft don't actually publish exactly what capabilities they're looking for in all categories.

For example when Windows 8 comes out it'll probably be impossible to get a perfect score in all categories because some categories will probably be looking for features that aren't yet available in hardware, so it can address hardware evolution over the life of the OS.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY

said by IamGimli:

You guys understand that the WEI score isn't just a performance score, right? It's a capability score, with a performance modifier.

We know that. We have nothing else to talk about.