uniqs
share rss forum feed

robman50

join:2010-12-14
reply to DarkLogix

Re: [Parts Check] HDD WEI score greater than 5.9

said by DarkLogix:

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

What graphics card are you using.. 2.7 score??.. no graphics drivers installed?.. o_O..

Its a VM on ESXi, so ya no video card in use, just a virtual video card, and VMware hasn't updated yet so no compatable driver yet.

I think VMWare just uses something like an low end SVGA virtual video card. It might also have 8 or 16MB VRAM.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

said by robman50:

said by DarkLogix:

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

What graphics card are you using.. 2.7 score??.. no graphics drivers installed?.. o_O..

Its a VM on ESXi, so ya no video card in use, just a virtual video card, and VMware hasn't updated yet so no compatable driver yet.

I think VMWare just uses something like an low end SVGA virtual video card. It might also have 8 or 16MB VRAM.

Ya the vram is change-able (ie you can set it to whatever you want) but it's unable to start the driver provided by vmware tools

even if it did I doubt it would change the score much

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10

It dosen't. I tried playing RA3 on a Win7 virtual machine using a thin client for kicks, and it lacked the ability to be anything greater than a slideshow.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

did you up the vvram (virtual video ram) that you allocated to it?

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

Of course. It has to do again with the drivers, and the way VDI works. VDI in general is horrible for most things that require lots of graphics processing power.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

1 edit

ya, just checking

imo someday VMware should make ESXi able to use cuda power to give VM's more power

then you could add on a tesla unit such as the Tesla M2090

btw does upping the VVram have any effect?

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to FizzyMyNizzy

Click for full size
what SSD are you running? I moved to a revo drive 120GB

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-60GBP2 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Not on raid of any kind. And on sata ii port. 7.7wei on the ssd.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to robman50

You guys understand that the WEI score isn't just a performance score, right? It's a capability score, with a performance modifier.

Some scores are capped (low AND high cap) depending on the presence of specific features, no matter how it performs. The performance will only affect ranking within those caps. Microsoft don't actually publish exactly what capabilities they're looking for in all categories.

For example when Windows 8 comes out it'll probably be impossible to get a perfect score in all categories because some categories will probably be looking for features that aren't yet available in hardware, so it can address hardware evolution over the life of the OS.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

said by IamGimli:

You guys understand that the WEI score isn't just a performance score, right? It's a capability score, with a performance modifier.

We know that. We have nothing else to talk about.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to IamGimli

said by IamGimli:

...be looking for features that aren't yet available in hardware, so it can address hardware evolution over the life of the OS.

Which makes it even more useless since many of the "proposed" and "next generation" features touted at the time never make it to widespread implementation.

robman50

reply to robman50

So if an standard HDD is capped at 5.9 no matter how 'high performance' it is, than if a game needs an recommended WEI score of 6.0 than that system must need an SSD to get that score?

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

I've never heard of a game using WEI to determine requirements.

WEI is mostly useless really.

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI
reply to robman50

said by robman50:

So if an standard HDD is capped at 5.9 no matter how 'high performance' it is, than if a game needs an recommended WEI score of 6.0 than that system must need an SSD to get that score?

A. This will never happen. Games use internal benchmarks to recommend settings, not WEI. I've never seen a game that cared about HD performance, either.

B. No matter how "high performance" a hard drive is, it is orders of magnitude slower than SSD with respect to latency. If there is a game that needs (for whatever bizarre reason) SSD then, a hard drive should be disqualified.
--
My Site

robman50

reply to pnjunction

said by pnjunction:

I would have to agree with you. Since games are mostly aimed at the GPU, RAM, and CPU. Even though I have mostly 6 and 7's down the board except for the HDD my games run quite well on my hardware.

robman50

reply to pog4

MS Flight WEI
Here is an example of what I meant by a game wanting a system with 6.0. Mind you this is the only 2012 game I have on my system. Everything else is Pentium 4 and Core 2 Duo/Quad for XP and Vista so they don't need much for a higher WEI score.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to pnjunction

said by pnjunction:

I've never heard of a game using WEI to determine requirements.

There was a time when an idea of microsoft's was to use "Games for windows" where it'd recommend a WEI to play.

It didn't really catch on and was only listed on some microsoft games and even then it was just a suggested score that was listed in addition to minimum, recomended, and best system requirements.

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI
reply to robman50

It figures that it's a MS game using WEI.

I interpret this as meaning they recommend you get an SSD but require that your GPU scores at least a 4.0.

An SSD might well help with this game. I believe it loads textures seamlessly/dynamically and has long load times.

The 4.0 is likely GPU-related for most people. There aren't many CPUs that score less than that. Probably none in the desktop category over the last 4 years. Similarly, most 7200 HDs will score at least 5.0.
--
My Site