Search similar:

uniqs

Andrew_D28
join:2006-01-31
Houston, TX

Andrew_D28 to medbuyer

to medbuyer

Re: [General] DSL Frequent Disconnects Stats Included

Honestly I might just switch to a comparable Uverse plan, since according to the tech, the box for the service is on our apartment's property and not some distance away.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by Andrew_D28:

Honestly I might just switch to a comparable Uverse plan, since according to the tech, the box for the service is on our apartment's property and not some distance away.

If you're having dsl issues now and its giving you a headache, wait till you get Uverse and you'll be pulling your hair.

Uverse is just another flavor of dsl which has distance limitations as well.

When the tech said, the box is in your apartment, he meant incoming connections from att are within the complex, which is really should be the case.

What you need to know is how NEAR are you from the CO or central office, as this is where dsl signals start from, passed on to dslam's, terminal remotes etc. to reach you, the customer.

Andrew_D28
join:2006-01-31
Houston, TX

1 edit

Andrew_D28

Is it always a combination of the two (speed and stability issues) or can it be either or? My speed is usually pretty close to 2.30-2.40 mbps, and i've never really had any lag or speed issues...but the disconnect problems usually happen in the evening (around 4 or so) and then usually at night (anywhere between 9pm and midnight).

You'd think after having three techs out here, one would at least suggest we might be too far from the CO, but i'll definitely check into that.

Right now my connection stats are:

Current Noise Margin: 20.0 dB (Downstream) 21.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 6.8 dB (Downstream) 3.0 dB (Upstream)

Which according to the FAQ are pretty good.

Power is -

Current Output Power: -5.6 dBm (Downstream) 5.6 dBm (Upstream)
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by Andrew_D28:

Is it always a combination of the two (speed and stability issues) or can it be either or? My speed is usually pretty close to 2.30-2.40 mbps, and i've never really had any lag or speed issues...but the disconnect problems usually happen in the evening (around 4 or so) and then usually at night (anywhere between 9pm and midnight).

You'd think after having three techs out here, one would at least suggest we might be too far from the CO, but i'll definitely check into that.

it maybe a combination or either...

I'd say go back to your original speed plan and observe...that disconnect thing maybe fixed if you get your stability issues corrected first. it's harder to fix something that you aren't really supposed to be capable of getting...hope you understand what I mean...

find your CO here....»/coinfo

btw, there has been talks that AT&T is deliberately cooking up those disconnects so as to push users into U-verse but when they do, they always fall into the trap of getting more headache.

isn't there another ISP in your area? maybe cable?