Search similar:

uniqs
CTMustang
Premium Member
join:2007-09-10
New Canaan, CT

CTMustang

Premium Member

[Rant] Youtube has been SUCKING lately..

Seriously, WTF.

I'm on BOOST+ where it gets almost 60mbps down and youtube has been horrible for the past month or two.

What are they doing different??? This was never a big problem in the past...

I'm trying to watch a damn squirrel get launched off a deck and the thing freezes and locks up right before the launch!!! so frustrating, it's this youtube taken over by google FFS??

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

routing....latency.....server issues.......tracert to youtube.com can help some....

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to CTMustang

Premium Member

to CTMustang
said by CTMustang:

Seriously, WTF.

I'm on BOOST+ where it gets almost 60mbps down and youtube has been horrible for the past month or two.

What are they doing different??? This was never a big problem in the past...

I'm trying to watch a damn squirrel get launched off a deck and the thing freezes and locks up right before the launch!!! so frustrating, it's this youtube taken over by google FFS??

pause it until it all come in then view or try other dns servers.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to CTMustang

Anon

to CTMustang
said by CTMustang:

It's been taken over by the pro-squirrel lobby.

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5 to CTMustang

Premium Member

to CTMustang
It only does that in France.

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S to CTMustang

Premium Member

to CTMustang
OOL DNS is the worst
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to CTMustang

to CTMustang
Tried blocking the ads and using the html5 version of the site? »www.youtube.com/html5

Firefox WebM video search addon »mycroft.mozdev.org/searc ··· ube+WebM

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to CTMustang

to CTMustang
I'm on 15 mbps here and even 1080p videos loads pretty fast. No need to pause it to let it load.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to CTMustang

Premium Member

to CTMustang
Has nothing to do with DNS. You're on the site so it was already resolved. Furthermore queries get cached.
Not all servers are in the same location. There may be issues with a slow particular server or the path between you and the server.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to CTMustang

Premium Member

to CTMustang
I don't know what it is, but with my ISP (TekSavvy), although I can pull 5.8Mbps to several speedtest sites without a problem, I have a hard time pulling more than 500kbps from most YouTube servers.

I ran a little experiment in which I extracted the URL to the video itself, replaced the domain name with the resolved IP address into the URL.

The reason for resolving the IP address is twofold:

1) Ensure the video stream is coming from the same server.
2) Ensure the stream is not coming from any ISP's YouTube cache server.

Then I loaded this URL on two different ISPs, from the same computer (a laptop), no more than 5 minutes apart. The video pulled an average of 500kbps on TekSavvy, and yet it saturated the 15Mbps connection of the other ISP (Telus).

I repeated this several times, doing the process in different orders and trying popular as well as very unpopular videos.

The result is completely repeatable. The Telus DSL connection ALWAYS streams faster than the TekSavvy DSL connection.

The poor performance is fairly consistent from one YouTube server to another. The only server I get decent performance from is a Peer One Networks cache server (TekSavvy gets their internet transit from Peer One in the west).

In other words, I've been able to get around the problem by loading up a video, then after a couple seconds refreshing the page, causing the video to be streamed from the Peer One Networks cache server instead of YouTube's servers.

What's really puzzling about this is that other video sites such as Vimeo stream at full speed with no problem at all.

Even TekSavvy themselves haven't been able to make heads or tails of this problem.

Normally I'm pretty good at pinpointing the source of internet-related problems, but this one has me completely stumped.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to CTMustang

to CTMustang

Flash muct be extremly CPU intensive as most of the vids DO NOT PLAY WELL FOR ME! (Even now @ 240p)

Its gotta be flash because if i play 240p stuff WITH VLC it plays fine!!

FLASH IS THE WORST WAY TO STREAM VIDEO...

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to cowboyro

to cowboyro

Re: [Rant] Youtube has been SUCKING lately..

said by cowboyro:

Has nothing to do with DNS. You're on the site so it was already resolved. Furthermore queries get cached.
Not all servers are in the same location. There may be issues with a slow particular server or the path between you and the server.

Actually, it could.

I've been told that YouTube have many servers, and depending on the DNS you use, you could get sent to a different server.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

said by 19579823:

Flash muct be extremly CPU intensive as most of the vids DO NOT PLAY WELL FOR ME! (Even now @ 240p)

Either you're running an insanely slow computer, or there is something terribly wrong. Even my old P3 1.2Ghz laptop can play 360p flash videos smoothly (although it does use 95% CPU).

My desktop computer (Core 2 Duo E8400 clocked at 3.8GHz) registers only 15% CPU usage when playing a 1080p YouTube flash video.

My newer laptop can also handle 1080p flash without a problem, though due to its slower CPU (2.26GHz Core 2 Duo), it peaks at 40% CPU usage.

The more recent flash versions enable GPU hardware acceleration which takes a lot of load off the CPU. Still not as efficient as something like VLC or MPC, but far better than flash used to be before they added hardware acceleration.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

Whats the latest flash that Windows 98 SE supports?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to CTMustang

to CTMustang
I think its flash9f is the newest you can run on 98se.. I have 9 but i dunno what letter.. (9.0.16)

Is it the size of the OCX file that determines how good playback is though?? (9.0.16 is 2.09 Megs -- 7.0.19 is only 917k)
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned)

Eh, if 98SE is all you need switch to ReactOS, it's a good enough replacement for it as most everything that ran on 98SE should run fine on it as well as support newer software versions...

Basically it's Windows, but not from Microsoft, and with a nice little repo of Windows compatible F/OSS software to help keep things up to date

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to PatPatate

Premium Member

to PatPatate

Re: [Rant] Youtube has been SUCKING lately..

Yes, that is the case. Different DNS will resolve to different servers on youtube's network.

Dragasoni
We're All Mad Here
Premium Member
join:2001-12-14
Palm Bay, FL

Dragasoni to CTMustang

Premium Member

to CTMustang
It's your routing to YouTube from whatever you are. Here in central Florida on RR it's terrible and has been this way for years. I have to pause the video and let it buffer. The last month or so, it only buffers 1 minute and then stops buffering until I hit play. I can't tell how many times I just give up on trying to watching something.

When I bring my laptop to my parents house in New York, YouTube works fantastic.

When I do a tracert to YouTube from home I have several crappy hops with either high ping times or timeouts. From my parents house, the routing is great without much loss and no timeouts.

Another trick that helps is YouTube downloader. Half the time I just add a bunch of videos into that application, download them, and watch them later.

-Dragasoni-

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to CTMustang

Premium Member

to CTMustang
That is a great video (and a lot more like them on YT)

I agree, YT has been screwed for the last few months.
They appear to keep trying new idiot idea's from some of their lame employees, and its all getting mucked up.

Just my opinion of course.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to CTMustang

Premium Member

to CTMustang
Watch the url sometimes, it states for me somethings (att.preferred.youtube.com)

So my take on it is, ATT and youtube have setup a special routing and thus kicks things back during prime time.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater to CTMustang

MVM

to CTMustang
Youtube uses my whole 12Mbps connection, on IPv6 =P.

I'm always watching 1080p when available.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium Member
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

pokesph to CTMustang

Premium Member

to CTMustang
YouTube is crap here too.. I can consistently pull 30 megs from almost anywhere except YouTube.. it does this up and down dance ^v^v^v^v^ with bandwidth.. with it averaging around 530megs. Total BS if you ask me.

It has to be something YT is doing with certain high speed I
SPs .. (Comcast here)

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to CTMustang

to CTMustang
Since this thread is still here, I will add my comments/thoughts.

I too have been having problems since March with YouTube and some other video sites. It just would not play well or was choppy. I started to think what had changed, me or them. Did update to a newer version of ZA around then? Since I did not watch that many videos and was lazy, did not try to track down the problems, until the last week or so.

Running Process Explorer, noticed vsmon.exe was running at 70%+ at the time, pegging the CPU at 100% with other programs running. Doing a Google, found many, many others complaining of same in different forums, including ZoneAlarm's. This program is associated with ZoneAlarm. ZoneAlarm was brushing the problems off.

Ran tracert to YT and nothing showed up there out of the ordinary.

So shut ZA down and Youtube ran fine on Comcast 12/3.

Have since uninstalled ZA and am just using Windows Firewall. Overall web surfing has also improved. Before opening tabs in Firefox that were graphics heavy would slow down FF. Also speed tests were horrible before uninstalling. Now back to normal.

Was blaming my old Laptop for not keeping up - 6 year old, Latitude D610, Single Core 2Ghz, 2 Gig Ram, Video on Board and connected wirelessly. XP Pro, SP3 with all patches.

I have since duplicated this on a backup laptop and uninstalling ZoneAlarm has solved the problem for my that one as well. Of course YMMV. I am planning to replace this aging one, with a new laptop this summer, just waiting for the right one at the right price to hit the market.

hth

SparkDawg
Premium Member
join:2005-01-06
Ypsilanti, MI

SparkDawg to pokesph

Premium Member

to pokesph
It seems like that to compete with Comcast's TV and In Demand service (and Uverse's similar programs), they are throttling video sites like Youtube.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

said by SparkDawg:

It seems like that to compete with Comcast's TV and In Demand service (and Uverse's similar programs), they are throttling video sites like Youtube.

I can see that happening now that google is doing ppv movies over youtube. so much for network neutrality!
chipper
join:2012-05-28
Beverly Hills, CA

chipper to CTMustang

to CTMustang
in the last couple of weeks, youtube won't buffer the video till the end. i have play it for the video to be streamed.

is there anyone experiencing this too?

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

I sure am, and probably every one else that uses that site. I am thinking this is something new you tube is trying out. And ever since it has been doing this, is when the other problems have started.
(that I have noticed)
It seems to know if you have it on pause or not. If it is paused, it will stop buffering. In a way I think they should keep it this way.
It does seem to stream faster when you are actually watching it.

There is no doubt in my mind they are constantly changing, testing new ways to "improve" their site. I'm not saying this is good or bad, but they just cant leave well enough alone.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to chipper

Premium Member

to chipper
Yeah, the suspension of buffering when the video is paused seems to be a new feature. Saves bandwidth for YouTube, no doubt. Incredibly inconvenient for me when I am on a slow connection, or when YouTube's serving stuff extra slowly at peak hours -- because in those circumstances I like to pause and preload the whole video till the end before I start watching it. Now, I have to download the MP4 with a utility or something.

nonamesleft
join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft to CTMustang

to CTMustang
»survey.googleratings.com ··· l=9&G=US

Youtube is doing a survey. Actually its at the top of your your tube page. Tell them what you think and especially the lame new page design.
chances14
join:2010-03-03
Michigan

chances14 to CTMustang

to CTMustang
i've noticed slowdowns with youtube too (though not as bad as it was a few weeks ago) and also noticed that the videos will not buffer all the way till the end when the video is paused anymore.