uniqs
share rss forum feed

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
reply to CTMustang

Re: [Rant] Youtube has been SUCKING lately..

Youtube uses my whole 12Mbps connection, on IPv6 =P.

I'm always watching 1080p when available.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to CTMustang

YouTube is crap here too.. I can consistently pull 30 megs from almost anywhere except YouTube.. it does this up and down dance ^v^v^v^v^ with bandwidth.. with it averaging around 530megs. Total BS if you ask me.

It has to be something YT is doing with certain high speed I
SPs .. (Comcast here)

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to CTMustang

Since this thread is still here, I will add my comments/thoughts.

I too have been having problems since March with YouTube and some other video sites. It just would not play well or was choppy. I started to think what had changed, me or them. Did update to a newer version of ZA around then? Since I did not watch that many videos and was lazy, did not try to track down the problems, until the last week or so.

Running Process Explorer, noticed vsmon.exe was running at 70%+ at the time, pegging the CPU at 100% with other programs running. Doing a Google, found many, many others complaining of same in different forums, including ZoneAlarm's. This program is associated with ZoneAlarm. ZoneAlarm was brushing the problems off.

Ran tracert to YT and nothing showed up there out of the ordinary.

So shut ZA down and Youtube ran fine on Comcast 12/3.

Have since uninstalled ZA and am just using Windows Firewall. Overall web surfing has also improved. Before opening tabs in Firefox that were graphics heavy would slow down FF. Also speed tests were horrible before uninstalling. Now back to normal.

Was blaming my old Laptop for not keeping up - 6 year old, Latitude D610, Single Core 2Ghz, 2 Gig Ram, Video on Board and connected wirelessly. XP Pro, SP3 with all patches.

I have since duplicated this on a backup laptop and uninstalling ZoneAlarm has solved the problem for my that one as well. Of course YMMV. I am planning to replace this aging one, with a new laptop this summer, just waiting for the right one at the right price to hit the market.

hth

The Dord
Gamecenter CX
Premium
join:2005-01-06
Belleville, MI
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
reply to pokesph

It seems like that to compete with Comcast's TV and In Demand service (and Uverse's similar programs), they are throttling video sites like Youtube.
--
»twitter.com/The_Dord -- Twitter Account

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

said by The Dord:

It seems like that to compete with Comcast's TV and In Demand service (and Uverse's similar programs), they are throttling video sites like Youtube.

I can see that happening now that google is doing ppv movies over youtube. so much for network neutrality!

chipper

join:2012-05-28
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to CTMustang

in the last couple of weeks, youtube won't buffer the video till the end. i have play it for the video to be streamed.

is there anyone experiencing this too?

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

I sure am, and probably every one else that uses that site. I am thinking this is something new you tube is trying out. And ever since it has been doing this, is when the other problems have started.
(that I have noticed)
It seems to know if you have it on pause or not. If it is paused, it will stop buffering. In a way I think they should keep it this way.
It does seem to stream faster when you are actually watching it.

There is no doubt in my mind they are constantly changing, testing new ways to "improve" their site. I'm not saying this is good or bad, but they just cant leave well enough alone.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to chipper

Yeah, the suspension of buffering when the video is paused seems to be a new feature. Saves bandwidth for YouTube, no doubt. Incredibly inconvenient for me when I am on a slow connection, or when YouTube's serving stuff extra slowly at peak hours -- because in those circumstances I like to pause and preload the whole video till the end before I start watching it. Now, I have to download the MP4 with a utility or something.

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Callcentric
reply to CTMustang

»survey.googleratings.com/wix/p52···l=9&G=US

Youtube is doing a survey. Actually its at the top of your your tube page. Tell them what you think and especially the lame new page design.

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan
reply to CTMustang

i've noticed slowdowns with youtube too (though not as bad as it was a few weeks ago) and also noticed that the videos will not buffer all the way till the end when the video is paused anymore.

netsurfer1

join:2012-04-13
Atlanta, GA
reply to CTMustang

I am experiencing the same thing also. So I rarely go to this site these past few days.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to chances14

said by chances14:

i've noticed slowdowns with youtube too (though not as bad as it was a few weeks ago) and also noticed that the videos will not buffer all the way till the end when the video is paused anymore.

makes watching youtube videos on cricket service USELESS.

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan

solution for slow connections is to use a youtube downloader to download the videos to your computer and watch them that way. other than that, you're going to be seeing that little buffering icon an awful lot

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to CTMustang

At work I have a gig connection (limited by the gig switch on my floor) and youtube has been reminding me of real player.