Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Gork

Re: L2TP VPN on USG - quick how-to

said by Gork:

Does this allow access to the USG's WAN Internet connection from the Android through the tunnel? Or just to LAN network resources?

The above example allows access to LAN only. Hower, this will effectively kill your internet access on Android phone since (I've just realized) split tunneling is disabled on Androdid VPN client thus all traffic is pushed throught VPN once the tunnel is up including traffic destined for internet. There seems to be no option to enable split tunneling on native Andorid VPN client.

To allow internet access through the VPN you have to
a) modify the example route #7 with Source: any
b) modify the example firewall rule #7 with To: any

This will allow access to LAN and internet.

EDIT: I've modified the screenshots to fix the route rule and added desctiption for the firewall rule.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
So your saying is that if you use VPN on the android, the only traffic will be through the tunnel (no direct android to internet) but you can still access the interenet through the USG connection out the USG WAN port to the internet.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

1 edit
Yes

On Android split tunneling seems to be disabled by default with no option to enable it.

iOS, Windows or OS-X msy behave differently by default, I have not tested those nor have any plans in near future.

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

1 edit
reply to Brano
Thanks Brano See Profile. I'm currently using OpenVPN on a computer behind my router. Before I replaced my 2WG with the 20W I couldn't figure out how to set up a VPN between a Shrew client and the 2WG, let alone a tunnel that would give me remote access to the Internet. I haven't tried anything with the 20W - I'm scared to upset the balance since I at least have a tunnel working with OpenVPN. Your guidance in this thread makes me want to try it with the 20W though, especially now that I can use the VPN client that comes with Windoze. I'd love to uninstall OpenVPN - that "server" computer has too many things running on it.

Saved a link to this thread, saved the page in an mht file - I WILL get up the courage to try this out! So happy you shared...

I'm sad to hear about the lack of split tunneling on the Android though.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
said by Gork:

Thanks Brano See Profile
I'm sad to hear about the lack of split tunneling on the Android though.

I don't really mind this default setting. It would have been worse if the split tunneling was enabled by default without option to turn it off.
This way I can "safely" browse internet from my phone using my home connection without ISP being able to watch

Of course having option to enable / disable would be nice.
I have to check of there are any 3rd party VPN clients for android.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
I thought android was a third party

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT
reply to Brano
Yeah, if split tunneling were enabled by default that would be worse.

.mht file updated.