spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hooterville9

join:2008-10-15
Gainesville, FL

AT&T DSL Gateway = 2 Wire - Netgear - Pace ?

Have the 2 Wire Gateway from AT&T and it has been giving us problems so AT&T is going to replace it with the Netgear 7550.

Which is the best of the 3 they offer?

2 Wire, Netgear 7550 or the Pace?

Thanks.

jr9730inTX

@mchsi.com
What I hear is the Netgear and Pace gateways are on equal footing so each should work well for anyone..

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to Hooterville9
NONE of the above....

I'd get me a Motorola 3347 instead...

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to Hooterville9
The pace is a rebranded 2wire
The netgear is a rebranded westell

Hooterville9

Gainesville, FL
reply to medbuyer
and this is going to work with my AT&T DSL?

medbuyer

said by Hooterville9:

and this is going to work with my AT&T DSL?

yes....technically that's fir business accounts but if you can get one from craigslist or ebay, AT&T will allow it, support it and troubleshoot any issues, just not replace the unit in the event it dies.

the 3347 is considered cream of the crop....

Hooterville9

Gainesville, FL
The ones I see on eBay are from Qwest. Will they work with AT&T?

medbuyer

said by Hooterville9:

The ones I see on eBay are from Qwest. Will they work with AT&T?

uuhhmmm...look for 3347-02-1006, 1006L or a 1022 suffix...

those from Qwest will work too but needs a little tweaking...

you're better off with an AT&T model which is plenty on ebay...a simple 3347 search yielded so many results...and make sure it comes with the power supply.

Hooterville9

Gainesville, FL
AT&T is sending me the Netgear 7550 for free to replace my 2 Wire.
I'll just hold off and see how this one works.

The problems I'm having with the 2 wires is that the ports keep dying off. The last one only had one port working of the 4.

jr9730inTX

@mchsi.com
reply to wayjac
I would say not rebranded, the companies were aquired.
The 7550 and 4111 are new 802.11 N boxes, not the legacy older models..

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
Pace bought 2wire and rebranded the product line
Netgear bought the westell dsl modems only and rebranded them

buildersboy

join:2009-07-10
Dunnellon, FL
reply to Hooterville9
Im using a Linksys X2000 Wireless-N Router with ADSL2+ Modem. It has been rock solid, did need a firmware update upon install. Best Buy has them in stock for $99.

medbuyer

said by buildersboy:

Im using a Linksys X2000 Wireless-N Router with ADSL2+ Modem. It has been rock solid, did need a firmware update upon install. Best Buy has them in stock for $99.

except for the fact that this is an unsupported modem and when you encounter issues, AT&T will most likely point to your modem as the culprit and if you push, there's a big chance they'll charge you for troubleshooting.

Hooterville9

Gainesville, FL
Got in the Netgear 7550 today from AT&T and it says Westell on the bottom, not Netgear. Seems to work fine so far but man does it feel like a cheap piece of plastic China crap.
I sure hope this holds up for a while.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
Can you post a picture of the bottom of the netgear 7550

Hooterville9

Gainesville, FL
Give me a while and I'll get a picture. I guess I should cover up my numbers on the router?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by Hooterville9:

I guess I should cover up my numbers on the router?

If you feel the need to do that do it
The numbers are useless if you don't have the router

Hooterville9

Gainesville, FL
Click for full size
Click for full size
OK, I covered up the numbers. I have no idea what I'm doing.
Manufactured on 09/2011 so it's been sitting around a while.
What do you think of this thing?

willmw

join:2002-02-09
Thomson, GA

1 edit
reply to Hooterville9
When I got tired of my barely 2 year old 2Wire fritzing out on me, I did a little research and ended up getting an Actiontec GT784WN from WorstBuy. Been very pleased so far.

Hooterville9

Gainesville, FL
And this will work with AT&T OK?

willmw

join:2002-02-09
Thomson, GA
I don't know for sure that it's 'fully' supported by them, but it has a feature where it automatically configures for several carriers. I'm in Georgia so Bellsouth/AT&T and it was totally plug & play. All I had to do was configure preferred SSID and other wireless settings/preferences.

butopia

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
reply to Hooterville9
Hooterville-

I installed one of these netgear WIRELESSLY and it has worked fine. Have not used the Pace. Also have 2 locations using the Motorola business wireless/router but its setup is more geeky. If you get one of these cheap or free should work fine.

Hooterville9

Gainesville, FL
Will any of the higher end Netgear routers that Bestbuy sells work with AT&T?
I would just like to find a router that is a little better quality then the ones supplied by AT&T.

medbuyer

said by Hooterville9:

Will any of the higher end Netgear routers that Bestbuy sells work with AT&T?
I would just like to find a router that is a little better quality then the ones supplied by AT&T.

Netgear stuff in general are crap...I know as I worked in a logistics company that handled returns and replacements.

If you want an all in one modem and router that's fully supported by AT&T, the 3347 which is for business clients would be an ideal choice.

If you want just a modem, still the 3347 and get a separate router like a Cisco or Linksys from Best Buy and have the 3347 in bridged mode.

The key here is making sure you get a modem that AT&T will support for any troubleshooting issues, otherwise, you're on your own.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to Hooterville9
If it helps the pace 4111n now has dual core processing and a lot more ram for running things. The firmware for it was rewritten from the ground up and when I saw the screenshots in training class it looks much, much cleaner.

I haven't heard hardly any complaints about the 4111n. Short of being bad right out of the box, however you can get that problem with any router you buy right out of the box.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!