spc
Search similar:

uniqs
chucknorris
join:2012-03-12
Mesa, AZ

chucknorris

[AZ] Modem resetting and UL/DL speed deterioration

hello, so for the past 6mos or so I have noticed a significant reduction in UL/DL speed. Additionally, my Cox modem (sorry, I dont have the model# with me) has been randomly resetting itself, at least 2-3x/day. Avg D/L 1MB U/L 900kb from testmy.net and I have Cox preferred service. My modem is ancient as well, it is a rental modem from Cox that I got back in 2000-ish? Its not even on Cox's supported modem page, lol! Ya, I should probably get a new modem.......but in the meantime......

I dont have as much detail as I would like to post, but I just wanted to post some chat session results from Cox to see if the numbers given are within spec. Does going from avg D/L of 1MB to 17MB just by performing a software update sound right with an old modem like mine?

Im assuming Rx = D/L and Tx = U/L right?

Me: can you run modem diagnostics to check for reset issues?

Ashley: Yes, Allow me a moment , please.

Ashley: Also I will update your modem.

Ashley: Done >

Ashley: Time Stamp :03/12/2012 12:34:02
Rx 0.0
Tx 42.0
SNR 33.4
Resets 2
Lost Sync 0
T3 0
T4 0

Ashley: QoS Upload Speed : 2300 Kbps
QoS Download Speed : 17250 Kbps

Thanks for the input!

AnonGuy
@cox.net

AnonGuy

Anon

Rx and TX are measurements of signal strength to the modem. They have nothing to do with speed.

And are you still paying a rental fee? If so either stop and go buy a modem or continue renting and go to a store and swap it.

Signals look OK except for a low SNR but that could also be the old modem.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix to chucknorris

to chucknorris
for the most part level are so so,would like to see snr about 2 db higher,but as for your speed issue as long as you are on a non supported modem that is way beyond its lifespan its almost pointless to trouble shoot till you get a current modem

as for your question about firmware, updating can have a impact on performance if its out of date
chucknorris
join:2012-03-12
Mesa, AZ

chucknorris

Thanks for the input guys! I'm looking at new modem from this century as I type

Yes, renting was a bad idea, Ive probably paid for 10 modems as this point, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Thanks again, I'll follow up if I continue to have issues with the new modem.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog to chucknorris

Premium Member

to chucknorris
If you haven't already purchased a modem let me know. I'm always looking for old obscure modems. And if you've been renting for ten years I think its a fair swap.

private message me your modem MAC and I'll take a look. If everything is kosher, I'll send you a Motorola SB6180 with a return shipping slip back to Atlanta.