jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

1 edit

jfmezei

Premium Member

Bell Canada launched FTTH in Québec City

This will be most interesting at the regulatory level. And when you consider how ISPs have trouble supporting 60mbps speeds on TPIA, wait this customers want 175mbps.

»www.newswire.ca/fr/story ··· bec-city

»www.bell.ca/Bell_TV/Prom ··· qc_en_fr

Up to 175mbs dowload, up to 30mbps upload.

$225 million in investment. And the PR release sounds like a politically aimed with liberal use of "innovation" and "investment" and "competition" keywords.

I'd have to look back to see how many years it took from annnouncement of project (I think 2009 or 2010) until the formal launch.

Fibe is now available in the boroughs of Québec, Beauport, Sillery, Ste-Foy, Cap-Rouge, Charlesbourg, L'Ancienne-Lorette, Loretteville, Sainte-Thérèse-de-Lisieux and Montmorency. Lévis will also soon be connected to the Fibe network.

This has interesting implications on matching speeds since Bell will obviously not upgrade its copper to FTTN/VDSL and until small ISPs have access to FTTH, they will not be able to offer the same speeds that bell offers on its web site under the "Fibe" brand which is the same as what is being used for copper.

edit: redid the URLs, DSLR had mangled them.

blueey
@mtw.ru

blueey

Anon

Bell is making million dollar investments to shore up landline losses

(90, 000 last quarter: »business.financialpost.c ··· t-cable/, Guess where the majority are going? To cable's bundle.) and gain market share from the dominant cable companies (80% internet, TV, home phone market share in some areas)...

And you guys want to ride the network? Talk about leeches.

Bell has to deal with cable companies with superior last-miles, the overwhelming DSL customer base of resellers, and now little kids who want to share the next-generation fiber network.
glavoie84
join:2006-09-08
Quebec, QC

glavoie84 to jfmezei

to jfmezei
175mbps with a 100GB monthly limit... Enough speed to bust the monthly limit in 1:20! They broke a new record!

alienzzz
join:2011-02-17

alienzzz to blueey

to blueey
said by blueey :

and now little kids who want to share the next-generation fiber network.

Uhm, there is no sharing. Bell's FIB is useless. With their ridiculous caps not even their own customers will be able to use it.

Why even bother with this charade? Just ask for people to mail you their bank account numbers and then transfer cash directly.

Team up with Nigerian scammers. That should be their next business model.... would work better than this pretense that they somehow improving connectivity. What a joke.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to blueey

Premium Member

to blueey
said by blueey :

And you guys want to ride the network? Talk about leeches.

Leech? Wholesale ISPs do provide some revenue to Bell for network access. In fact, should Bell not be able to improve their customer base they may start doing more wholesale pricing promos to attract more third party customers. Bell needs wholesale to combat cable.
jfmezei
Premium Member
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

This is sigificant because:

We've just come though YEARS of haggling at CRTC to get VDSL2 speeds called "FTTN" which Bell claimed was a totally different network. And now Bell is going FTTH and it too will want to take years before it is made available to ISPs.

It is also notable because limited FTTH deployemnts in greefields have some far had the standard Fib speeds, but the one in QUébec city really blows cable out.

And with Bell,s allegedly superior FibTV product compared to Videotron, they may be able to reclaim some market share if they are able to price agressively enough to get customers wiened from Videotron.

The problem is that providing 175mbps retail service when small ISPs have to pay $2213/100mbps means that the small ISPs would not be able to offer such speeds affordably.

Note: I added the URLs back to the first post. Somehow DSLR had de-URLed them.
Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin to jfmezei

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

Up to 175mbs dowload, up to 30mbps upload.

100gb cap

BAHAHA there must be so many people with their heads stuck up their a$$es at bell

blueey
@mtw.ru

blueey to jfmezei

Anon

to jfmezei
It would be unfair for resellers to have access to Bell's FTTH network. FTTH is very expensive and takes a very long time to break even, justifying Bell having complete control over pricing of the network services. The penetration rate is not even that great (Even though FTTH is superior to cable, Verizon FiOS is having difficulty gaining market share.)

Given the huge investment, long time to break even and the ample competition cable companies, cable resellers, and wireless provides, Bell should have exclusivity over its FTTH network.
jfmezei
Premium Member
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

said by blueey :

Bell should have exclusivity over its FTTH network.

Hey Mirko ! I see they taught you how to use a russian proxy to be anonymous on DSLR

It is exactly because it cost so much to deploy that Bell should seek partners in the form of indie ISPs who increase the amout of business generated by that infrastructure.
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

Ah, I see B#ell joined Videotron and Cogeco's The Sky's The Limit club. There's no overage limit on Fibe 50 and Fibe 175.
said by Bell Internet: Fibe 175 :
$1.00/additional GB (no maximum)
So, who wants to calculate how much maxing out the connection would cost?

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Remind me again what benefit you get with this Bell fibre crap? You get 175 Mbps and you can barely you use it.
X10A
join:2004-07-13
Brossard, QC

X10A to jfmezei

to jfmezei
175 21.875 second
60 mins 1312.5 mb
hour 78750 mb
day 1890000 mb
month 56700000 mb
55371.09375 gb
bell overage 55271.1 gb
1$/gb 55272$

assume if he can go all out without anydowntime 55272+base charge

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

said by X10A:

175 21.875 second
60 mins 1312.5 mb
hour 78750 mb
day 1890000 mb
month 56700000 mb
55371.09375 gb
bell overage 55271.1 gb
1$/gb 55272$

I'm saving this for future reference. I have quotes with Bell and Allstream that can give me a dedicated business 100 meg pipe for $2000/month at my house.

blueey
@mtw.ru

blueey to jfmezei

Anon

to jfmezei
Bell wants to compete through speed, not necessarily caps with FTTH. Cable companies have traditionally competed through speed and charged a premium for those willing to pay (you'd be surprised, a lot of ppl. will pay more for higher speeds) and now Bell wants to compete that way and break cable's monopoly in that market.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Rogers is providing both speed and higher caps to their entire footprint. Bell needs to do a lot better.
X10A
Brossard, QC

X10A to jfmezei

to jfmezei
man.. even videotron has better cap....although they are 1.5$/gb

what I do not understand is why not a bigger city like toronto? I understand they may be hurting in quebec city, but it does not make sense to me.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to grunze510

Premium Member

to grunze510
said by grunze510:

Download @ 175Mbps = 56.70TB/month
Upload @ 30Mbps = 9.72TB/month

Overage $67,914.08

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by JC_:

said by grunze510:

Download @ 175Mbps = 56.70TB/month
Upload @ 30Mbps = 9.72TB/month

Overage $67,914.08

That's a lot of Angelo's
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to X10A

to X10A
said by X10A:

man.. even videotron has better cap....although they are 1.5$/gb

what I do not understand is why not a bigger city like toronto? I understand they may be hurting in quebec city, but it does not make sense to me.

I wouldn't say they have better caps... TGV 120 has a limit of 30Gb upload... which is quite sad.
X10A
Brossard, QC

X10A to jfmezei

to jfmezei
oh god I forgot about upload
lawrence171
join:2001-12-24
Canada

lawrence171 to blueey

to blueey
said by blueey :

Bell has to deal with cable companies with superior last-miles, the overwhelming DSL customer base of resellers, and now little kids who want to share the next-generation fiber network.

Not to mention, their own incompetence. People are willing to pay for a superior service, and Bell has provided no justification for paying more for their services.

They have retarded technical support people, pathetic support in every way, poor DNS server reliability, packet loss issues...etc. Heck, their own technical support people outright refuses to even open up a ticket even if you contacted them in GOOD FAITH regarding packet loss on their network.

I used to pay more for the superior service, but once their service became merely as good a 3rd party ISPs, or worse, I stopped paying for it.