join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Johkal

Re: [Wireless] Linksys EA4500 router?

said by Johkal:

That needs clarification. Perhaps Pete can enlighten us whether or not options are available to set a name for each band beyond default.

Yep, you can name each band as you wish. I was pointing out only that the default set up named both bands the same, much as the airport extreme does.

For me it is a non-issue so I let it be, but if you are picky about which band you are assigning a device to, then I'd certainly use unique names for each band.

Easy Connect defaults to the maximum amount of compatibility and ease of set-up. As usual, max compatibility does not equate to maximum performance.
--
Deeds, not words

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

Thanks!

samurai123

join:2007-07-15
Santa Clara, CA
reply to PeteC2

So it turned out that EA4500 is exactly similar to E4200v2.

I bet Cisco made some good money during holidays when they released E4200v2.

The EA series routes needs some loving lol.. not mature enough firmware and CCC added some interesting fun on top of it lol.

Hope they have learned some lesson and pay attention to put a quality firmware.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by samurai123:

The EA series routes needs some loving lol.. not mature enough firmware and CCC added some interesting fun on top of it lol.

Any facts behind that, or is this merely a personal opinion?

I have the EA4500 and have no problems whatsoever with it, the firmware prior to the cloud version worked fine, and I so far have no issues with the cloud-based version either.
--
Deeds, not words

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to samurai123

»Cisco Backpedals a Little on Cloud Firmware

samurai123

Santa Clara, CA
reply to PeteC2

I had problem with internet connection ( will drop often ) on both bands on E4200v2. So I dumped it and not going to use until they fix the problems.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

you know its possible it was an issue with the wireless card driver in your computer?

samurai123

Santa Clara, CA

I wish that was the issue but when I replaced the router with my old Dlink one, no issues at all.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 recommendation

yeah I know that. Still doesn't mean its the router. It's been shown that certain driver versions of wireless cards could have issues with certain driver versions of routers which can usually be fixed by either downgrading or upgrading the driver of the wireless card or updating the router firmware. With the millions of wireless card and router combos out there its more common then not for a slight compatibility issue.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

reply to samurai123

said by samurai123:

I wish that was the issue but when I replaced the router with my old Dlink one, no issues at all.

your wireless adapter is complimentary to your Dlink ... That is the reason why.

There is a huge difference between complimentary technology and compatable technology ... It's always much better when technology is COMPLIMENTARY.

texxsharkk

join:2005-08-24
Lake Stevens, WA
reply to PeteC2

2 Quick questions about the Guest Network on this EA4500:

(1) How many clients will it support (my e4200 can only support 10)
(2) Do they still have to connect through a web browser to enter the password (as on the e4200)?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by texxsharkk:

2 Quick questions about the Guest Network on this EA4500:

(1) How many clients will it support (my e4200 can only support 10)
(2) Do they still have to connect through a web browser to enter the password (as on the e4200)?

1. Up to 50. The default is set at 5, but can be upped in multiples of 5 up to 50.

2. No, I have connected to the guest network directly (of course having to enter the password) as well as through a browser.
--
Deeds, not words