spc
Search similar:

uniqs
AndrewW
join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON

AndrewW

[Newsgroups] Newsgroups and DMCA Takedowns

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a comprehensive list of Usenet providers who do not do DMCA takedowns? The reviews I read never seem to include this aspect. With so many people fleeing GN because of this, I believe it has become the deciding issue for many including myself.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22

My little input - Astraweb seems to NOT do the DCMA takedowns. Any Highwinds system or reseller DOES do them.
Bark
join:2006-03-19
Grand Junction, CO

Bark to AndrewW

to AndrewW
I recently encountered an 800 day old post (PC game) that was either removed or expired from every news server in the world, including Astraweb.
AndrewW
Toronto, ON

AndrewW to goober22

to goober22
said by goober22:

My little input - Astraweb seems to NOT do the DCMA takedowns. Any Highwinds system or reseller DOES do them.

I've been with a Highwinds reseller (Newshosting) for the last few months and its been so so. It's had some major misses which I have filled with another provider. No where near as bad as GN given the comments by users of Nzbmatrix where GN is reported to be taking some stuff down within minutes of being posted. Its as if some SOPA agent is working inside GN. Still I feel there is no point in sticking with Highwinds if they do any takedowns and I'm looking for another provider.
AndrewW

AndrewW to Bark

to Bark
said by Bark:

I recently encountered an 800 day old post (PC game) that was either removed or expired from every news server in the world, including Astraweb.

How were you able to establish that?

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

Keep in mind that the USENET protocol includes a cancel command which will delete posts from every server worldwide.
Bark
Grand Junction, CO

Bark to AndrewW

to AndrewW
There are only a few providers that have more than 800 days, and the post was missing from all of them. In Astraweb's case, the files were replaced with "DMCA'd" messages.
AndrewW
Toronto, ON

AndrewW to aannoonn

to aannoonn
said by aannoonn :

Keep in mind that the USENET protocol includes a cancel command which will delete posts from every server worldwide.

When and by who is this cancel command used? I've been able to download stuff from Newshosting well after its been deleted by GN. I'm also able to download stuff from a European provider months after its gone missing from GN and Highwinds.
AndrewW

AndrewW to aannoonn

to aannoonn
The Usenet Wiki has the following to say about the cancel command.

“Removal of copyrighted content from the entire Usenet network is a nearly impossible task, due to the rapid propagation between servers and the retention done by each server. Petitioning a Usenet provider for removal only removes it from that one server's retention cache, but not any others. It is possible for a special post cancellation message to be distributed to remove it from all servers, but many providers ignore cancel messages by standard policy, because they can be easily falsified and submitted by anyone. For a takedown petition to be most effective across the whole network, it would have to be issued to the origin server to which the content has been posted, but has not yet been propagated to other servers. Removal of the content at this early stage would prevent further propagation, but with modern high speed links, content can be propagated as fast as it arrives, allowing no time for content review and takedown issuance by copyright holders.”

So I need to amend my initial question by requesting a list of Usenet providers who ignore DMCA takedown notices and cancel commands.
Bark
Grand Junction, CO

Bark to AndrewW

to AndrewW
said by AndrewW:

...comments by users of Nzbmatrix where GN is reported to be taking some stuff down within minutes of being posted.

I think someone was just guessing about that because I haven't seen it happening.

IM or eMail to me the Nzbmatrix post ID # of something that has comments about being quickly removed and we shall see. Or start a topic on their forums without breaking the rules for discussing what you are downloading.
AndrewW
Toronto, ON

AndrewW

Hi Bark,

Check your PM.

Andrew
Bark
Grand Junction, CO

Bark

It looks like Giganews is simply rejecting the non-standard Message-ID's in some posts. Both posts in your IM have them; two sets of square brackets in the right half of the msg-id and technically that's not NNTP protocol. Nothing to do with DMCA, Giganews is being strict about accepting properly formatted articles. I'll ask the Giganews CTO about it.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to AndrewW

Premium Member

to AndrewW
said by AndrewW:

So I need to amend my initial question by requesting a list of Usenet providers who ignore DMCA takedown notices and cancel commands.

Cancel commands are really a non-issue to be honest. DMCA can affect any provider at any given time and none want to get the reputation that they "ignore" them. They may not get many or any, but as public discussions continue about them ignoring them...this information moves up the chain and does not go unnoticed.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to AndrewW

Premium Member

to AndrewW
Here's how I ended working my way through the take downs - I have an unlimited account from Newshosting, a block account from Blocknews, and a three-month, speed limited (10Mbps) $20 account from Astraweb. Generally speaking I can get most everything.
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1 to AndrewW

to AndrewW
Just have Astra and XSUsenet and I have been getting everything I want. Don't have a block account but I guess I have been fortunate to not need one.
technovert
Premium Member
join:2007-06-14
Canada

technovert to AndrewW

Premium Member

to AndrewW
DMCA compliance is a regulatory requirement for the services to operate in the USA. Infringing content is required to be removed by the common carrier service provider after notice is given. Some of the providers seem to attract more notices than others, but all of the big usenet providers comply with DMCA notices. You could perhaps try a European provider who exclusively operates servers and its business in Europe but I suspect due to datacenter terms and conditions and similar laws in the EU you would find most if not all providers comply with notices once received.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to AndrewW

to AndrewW
I've been finding alot of older stuff is missing with astraweb. Astraweb seems to be slow in responding to DMCA notices. So anything posted recently on astraweb is ok, but alot of older posts have the issues.

All they really do is remove some of the posts so the file doesn't work. I think most usenet providers follow dmca notices now. Since they only take down parts of the file, get a fill server.

Most people download recent stuff anyways, but it'll come handy if you need to download something old. Blocknews is another block service if you use astraweb as your main provider.
AndrewW
Toronto, ON

AndrewW to Bark

to Bark
said by Bark:

It looks like Giganews is simply rejecting the non-standard Message-ID's in some posts. Both posts in your IM have them; two sets of square brackets in the right half of the msg-id and technically that's not NNTP protocol. Nothing to do with DMCA, Giganews is being strict about accepting properly formatted articles. I'll ask the Giganews CTO about it.

That would make sense. I couldn't see how a DMCA request would work so fast. Nonetheless its only GN users who are complaining about these missing files. One would think that the premium newsgroup provider would bend over backwards to ensure that important content remain on their servers as it remained on every other Usenet provider's, rather then cause tremendous grief amongst its users, motivating them to leave with at least two claiming they were sundering 5 year relationships with GN. What's amazing to me is that GN users, including myself at one point, would laugh at Astraweb users about their seeming incessant whining about incompletes encouraging them to get a real Usenet provider. Now its the GN users doing the whining and switching to Astraweb, which I may add never ended up working for me.

All the major releases associated with the nzbs I sent you (some 20,000 nzbs in total downloaded from Nzbmatrix alone) were deleted by GN within 3 days of the nzbs being released making a mockery of their claimed retention and causing even more users to abandon their service. These I assume were DMCA takedowns. Apparently GN's new motto is “If you snooze, you lose with Giganews”.
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1 to zod5000

to zod5000
I havent had problems with real old articles with Astra but they do have issues with articles around the 300 day range. If you get something from that range, it won't complete. It isn't a DMCA issue, it is some technical foul up they had back some months ago and never resolved.
AndrewW
Toronto, ON

AndrewW to swintec

to swintec
said by swintec:

said by AndrewW:

Cancel commands are really a non-issue to be honest. DMCA can affect any provider at any given time and none want to get the reputation that they "ignore" them. They may not get many or any, but as public discussions continue about them ignoring them...this information moves up the chain and does not go unnoticed.

I didn't think it was an issue as well but the anonymous poster suggested it was. However the question then would be who is at the head of this chain and are there any providers who ignore or cannot be touched by this chain in any substantial fashion?
AndrewW

AndrewW to kingdome74

to kingdome74
said by kingdome74:

Here's how I ended working my way through the take downs - I have an unlimited account from Newshosting, a block account from Blocknews, and a three-month, speed limited (10Mbps) $20 account from Astraweb. Generally speaking I can get most everything.

I do something similar but I really don't have 100% confidence in my arrangement and I am looking for something better/simpler. Some users claim to be totally untouched by the DMCA and use only single providers. Who are they using? Do they have VIP access?
AndrewW

AndrewW to sandman_1

to sandman_1
said by sandman_1:

Just have Astra and XSUsenet and I have been getting everything I want. Don't have a block account but I guess I have been fortunate to not need one.

I find it amazing that major releases that have been nuked by almost everyone are still alive and well months later on XSUsenet.
AndrewW

AndrewW to technovert

to technovert
said by technovert:

DMCA compliance is a regulatory requirement for the services to operate in the USA. Infringing content is required to be removed by the common carrier service provider after notice is given. Some of the providers seem to attract more notices than others, but all of the big usenet providers comply with DMCA notices. You could perhaps try a European provider who exclusively operates servers and its business in Europe but I suspect due to datacenter terms and conditions and similar laws in the EU you would find most if not all providers comply with notices once received.

Do you know of any list of European providers who ignore DMCA requests?
AndrewW

AndrewW to zod5000

to zod5000
said by zod5000:

I've been finding alot of older stuff is missing with astraweb. Astraweb seems to be slow in responding to DMCA notices. So anything posted recently on astraweb is ok, but alot of older posts have the issues.

All they really do is remove some of the posts so the file doesn't work. I think most usenet providers follow dmca notices now. Since they only take down parts of the file, get a fill server.

Most people download recent stuff anyways, but it'll come handy if you need to download something old. Blocknews is another block service if you use astraweb as your main provider.

I have a fill server.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to AndrewW

Premium Member

to AndrewW
said by AndrewW:

I do something similar but I really don't have 100% confidence in my arrangement and I am looking for something better/simpler. Some users claim to be totally untouched by the DMCA and use only single providers. Who are they using? Do they have VIP access?

If you have your servers all set up there should not be anything to worry about. The newsreader will take care of the rest.

Those that arent affected most likely just have different downloading habits (ie..what they are after, how soon they download a post, etc).

For end users, my personal opinion is I think it is only going to get worse.
AndrewW
Toronto, ON

AndrewW

said by swintec:

said by AndrewW:

If you have your servers all set up there should not be anything to worry about. The newsreader will take care of the rest.

Those that arent affected most likely just have different downloading habits (ie..what they are after, how soon they download a post, etc).

For end users, my personal opinion is I think it is only going to get worse.

Provided I have the right fill servers which is something I'm trying to ascertain. My thinking is it is already getting worse with one having to add more fill servers and constantly adjusting providers. Is it even possible today to have a Usenet provider who ignores DMCA requests?
ophelus
join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO

ophelus to AndrewW

to AndrewW
I honestly still don't find any DMCA problems bothering me when I signed up with gn or not.. I used XSusenet though as a nice 1 mbit backup and or primary provider at times
Bark
Grand Junction, CO

Bark to AndrewW

to AndrewW
said by AndrewW:

That would make sense. I couldn't see how a DMCA request would work so fast. Nonetheless its only GN users who are complaining about these missing files. One would think that the premium newsgroup provider would bend over backwards to ensure that important content remain on their servers as it remained on every other Usenet provider's, rather then cause tremendous grief amongst its users, motivating them to leave with at least two claiming they were sundering 5 year relationships with GN. What's amazing to me is that GN users, including myself at one point, would laugh at Astraweb users about their seeming incessant whining about incompletes encouraging them to get a real Usenet provider. Now its the GN users doing the whining and switching to Astraweb, which I may add never ended up working for me.

All the major releases associated with the nzbs I sent you (some 20,000 nzbs in total downloaded from Nzbmatrix alone) were deleted by GN within 3 days of the nzbs being released making a mockery of their claimed retention and causing even more users to abandon their service. These I assume were DMCA takedowns. Apparently GN's new motto is “If you snooze, you lose with Giganews”.

GN tech said the two posts for which you sent me links by IM were rejected because the msg-id's have 2 '@' characters. Nothing to do with DMCA and GN will not change its article acceptance code for that one infrequent poster of small posts. The related posts, the big ones, were DMCA'd from GN and Highwinds 3 days after posting. They must follow the law if they want to stay in business.
AndrewW
Toronto, ON

AndrewW

said by Bark:

said by AndrewW:

GN tech said the two posts for which you sent me links by IM were rejected because the msg-id's have 2 '@' characters. Nothing to do with DMCA and GN will not change its article acceptance code for that one infrequent poster of small posts. The related posts, the big ones, were DMCA'd from GN and Highwinds 3 days after posting. They must follow the law if they want to stay in business.

Thanks for updating us on GN's position. Unfortunately this rejection seems to be happening more frequently then they would like to admit. There is a more recent post in the same Nzbmatrix section where a number of GN users are complaining of a missing post. GN is certainly free to do what it wants as are GN's customers as they abandon their service and flee to their competitor's in droves. As for it being DMCA'd from Highwinds as well, I am not surprised but more tolerable as I'm paying 1/3 GN's price. Nonetheless, I'm still seeking a reliable provider unmoved by DMCA notices or any other notices. Finally, I haven't downloaded the whole thing but it still appears to be available on Astraweb's Euro server.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to AndrewW

Premium Member

to AndrewW
The big issue is the fact no provider will ever come out and say yeah we know we got copyrighted stuff on our severs and say we don't take it down. That is opening yourself up to be sued.

All you can do is look at user comments and see if they had an issue getting a show. HBO seems to be the one people have the most issues with. Exp I got game of thrones BR rip yesterday and some in the comments said they could not get it but I'm using Astraweb and it worked fine for me.