share rss forum feed

AndrewW

join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to kingdome74

Re: [Newsgroups] Newsgroups and DMCA Takedowns

said by kingdome74:

Here's how I ended working my way through the take downs - I have an unlimited account from Newshosting, a block account from Blocknews, and a three-month, speed limited (10Mbps) $20 account from Astraweb. Generally speaking I can get most everything.

I do something similar but I really don't have 100% confidence in my arrangement and I am looking for something better/simpler. Some users claim to be totally untouched by the DMCA and use only single providers. Who are they using? Do they have VIP access?

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
reply to sandman_1
said by sandman_1:

Just have Astra and XSUsenet and I have been getting everything I want. Don't have a block account but I guess I have been fortunate to not need one.

I find it amazing that major releases that have been nuked by almost everyone are still alive and well months later on XSUsenet.

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
reply to technovert
said by technovert:

DMCA compliance is a regulatory requirement for the services to operate in the USA. Infringing content is required to be removed by the common carrier service provider after notice is given. Some of the providers seem to attract more notices than others, but all of the big usenet providers comply with DMCA notices. You could perhaps try a European provider who exclusively operates servers and its business in Europe but I suspect due to datacenter terms and conditions and similar laws in the EU you would find most if not all providers comply with notices once received.

Do you know of any list of European providers who ignore DMCA requests?

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
reply to zod5000
said by zod5000:

I've been finding alot of older stuff is missing with astraweb. Astraweb seems to be slow in responding to DMCA notices. So anything posted recently on astraweb is ok, but alot of older posts have the issues.

All they really do is remove some of the posts so the file doesn't work. I think most usenet providers follow dmca notices now. Since they only take down parts of the file, get a fill server.

Most people download recent stuff anyways, but it'll come handy if you need to download something old. Blocknews is another block service if you use astraweb as your main provider.

I have a fill server.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to AndrewW
said by AndrewW:

I do something similar but I really don't have 100% confidence in my arrangement and I am looking for something better/simpler. Some users claim to be totally untouched by the DMCA and use only single providers. Who are they using? Do they have VIP access?

If you have your servers all set up there should not be anything to worry about. The newsreader will take care of the rest.

Those that arent affected most likely just have different downloading habits (ie..what they are after, how soon they download a post, etc).

For end users, my personal opinion is I think it is only going to get worse.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
said by swintec:

said by AndrewW:

If you have your servers all set up there should not be anything to worry about. The newsreader will take care of the rest.

Those that arent affected most likely just have different downloading habits (ie..what they are after, how soon they download a post, etc).

For end users, my personal opinion is I think it is only going to get worse.

Provided I have the right fill servers which is something I'm trying to ascertain. My thinking is it is already getting worse with one having to add more fill servers and constantly adjusting providers. Is it even possible today to have a Usenet provider who ignores DMCA requests?

ophelus

join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO
reply to AndrewW
I honestly still don't find any DMCA problems bothering me when I signed up with gn or not.. I used XSusenet though as a nice 1 mbit backup and or primary provider at times

Bark

join:2006-03-19
Grand Junction, CO
reply to AndrewW
said by AndrewW:

That would make sense. I couldn't see how a DMCA request would work so fast. Nonetheless its only GN users who are complaining about these missing files. One would think that the premium newsgroup provider would bend over backwards to ensure that important content remain on their servers as it remained on every other Usenet provider's, rather then cause tremendous grief amongst its users, motivating them to leave with at least two claiming they were sundering 5 year relationships with GN. What's amazing to me is that GN users, including myself at one point, would laugh at Astraweb users about their seeming incessant whining about incompletes encouraging them to get a real Usenet provider. Now its the GN users doing the whining and switching to Astraweb, which I may add never ended up working for me.

All the major releases associated with the nzbs I sent you (some 20,000 nzbs in total downloaded from Nzbmatrix alone) were deleted by GN within 3 days of the nzbs being released making a mockery of their claimed retention and causing even more users to abandon their service. These I assume were DMCA takedowns. Apparently GN's new motto is “If you snooze, you lose with Giganews”.

GN tech said the two posts for which you sent me links by IM were rejected because the msg-id's have 2 '@' characters. Nothing to do with DMCA and GN will not change its article acceptance code for that one infrequent poster of small posts. The related posts, the big ones, were DMCA'd from GN and Highwinds 3 days after posting. They must follow the law if they want to stay in business.

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
said by Bark:

said by AndrewW:

That would make sense. I couldn't see how a DMCA request would work so fast. Nonetheless its only GN users who are complaining about these missing files. One would think that the premium newsgroup provider would bend over backwards to ensure that important content remain on their servers as it remained on every other Usenet provider's, rather then cause tremendous grief amongst its users, motivating them to leave with at least two claiming they were sundering 5 year relationships with GN. What's amazing to me is that GN users, including myself at one point, would laugh at Astraweb users about their seeming incessant whining about incompletes encouraging them to get a real Usenet provider. Now its the GN users doing the whining and switching to Astraweb, which I may add never ended up working for me.

All the major releases associated with the nzbs I sent you (some 20,000 nzbs in total downloaded from Nzbmatrix alone) were deleted by GN within 3 days of the nzbs being released making a mockery of their claimed retention and causing even more users to abandon their service. These I assume were DMCA takedowns. Apparently GN's new motto is “If you snooze, you lose with Giganews”.

GN tech said the two posts for which you sent me links by IM were rejected because the msg-id's have 2 '@' characters. Nothing to do with DMCA and GN will not change its article acceptance code for that one infrequent poster of small posts. The related posts, the big ones, were DMCA'd from GN and Highwinds 3 days after posting. They must follow the law if they want to stay in business.

Thanks for updating us on GN's position. Unfortunately this rejection seems to be happening more frequently then they would like to admit. There is a more recent post in the same Nzbmatrix section where a number of GN users are complaining of a missing post. GN is certainly free to do what it wants as are GN's customers as they abandon their service and flee to their competitor's in droves. As for it being DMCA'd from Highwinds as well, I am not surprised but more tolerable as I'm paying 1/3 GN's price. Nonetheless, I'm still seeking a reliable provider unmoved by DMCA notices or any other notices. Finally, I haven't downloaded the whole thing but it still appears to be available on Astraweb's Euro server.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to AndrewW
The big issue is the fact no provider will ever come out and say yeah we know we got copyrighted stuff on our severs and say we don't take it down. That is opening yourself up to be sued.

All you can do is look at user comments and see if they had an issue getting a show. HBO seems to be the one people have the most issues with. Exp I got game of thrones BR rip yesterday and some in the comments said they could not get it but I'm using Astraweb and it worked fine for me.

ReeG

join:2012-02-27
North York, ON
reply to AndrewW
I've been a long time newshosting.com customer and recently there has been a lot of problems with countless posts of games give "430 no such article" errors. I was set to renew Wed but have chosen to cancel at this time and am looking into another provider. I'm leaning toward Astraweb at the moment.

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
reply to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

The big issue is the fact no provider will ever come out and say yeah we know we got copyrighted stuff on our severs and say we don't take it down. That is opening yourself up to be sued.

All you can do is look at user comments and see if they had an issue getting a show. HBO seems to be the one people have the most issues with. Exp I got game of thrones BR rip yesterday and some in the comments said they could not get it but I'm using Astraweb and it worked fine for me.

I've been looking at those user comments as well. I've just never seen so many unhappy campers voice their dismay and publicly declare their departure from their Usenet provider with the offending party in this case being Giganews. Evilelect seems to be their one sole supporter left. I wonder if he actually downloads anything?

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
reply to ReeG
said by ReeG:

I've been a long time newshosting.com customer and recently there has been a lot of problems with countless posts of games give "430 no such article" errors. I was set to renew Wed but have chosen to cancel at this time and am looking into another provider. I'm leaning toward Astraweb at the moment.

My renewal is this Thursday and I too will be cancelling my service. Although many people seem to be gravitating towards Astraweb whose Euro servers seem to be immune to DMCA takedowns, I have found Astraweb to be unreliable over the long run with serious issues, at least for me, popping up inevitably. I use them as backup but for a primary provider I want something better. I'm thinking of giving this French provider a shot, »gibinews.eu/en/ . I'm definitely staying away from anything that Verisign can possibly sink its teeth into and that would be anything with a .com address.

pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to AndrewW
quote:

I'm currently on AstraWeb and I'm experiencing a lot of "430 no such article" errors, which in turn, return INCOMPLETE articles which are irreparable. It's getting real annoying. So far it has happened with game files I'm attempting to download which are in the 200-300d retention range.

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
Like mentioned before in this thread, Astra has problems with articles around the 300 days range. It isn't an DMCA issue. They had a problem awhile back with the server and still haven't fixed all the missing articles. If you have a free account with XSUsenet, it can fill in the missing articles for that date range fine since they have up to 600 days retention.

pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
said by sandman_1:

Like mentioned before in this thread, Astra has problems with articles around the 300 days range. It isn't an DMCA issue. They had a problem awhile back with the server and still haven't fixed all the missing articles. If you have a free account with XSUsenet, it can fill in the missing articles for that date range fine since they have up to 600 days retention.

Sounds good, thank you!

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA
reply to AndrewW
There a way around the DMCA Takedowns.

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Cleveland, OH
said by 90115534:

But who wants to take the time and effort to download headers anymore? So, tedious. The number of posts to usenet has increased tremendously in the last 5 years.

A good backup usenet server will take care of DMCA problems most of the time.

Premium
Kenner, LA
said by Stem Bolt:

said by 90115534:

But who wants to take the time and effort to download headers anymore? So, tedious. The number of posts to usenet has increased tremendously in the last 5 years.

A good backup usenet server will take care of DMCA problems most of the time.

It does not require downloading headers.

Babar
Premium
join:2001-05-09
Washington
reply to 90115534
Such as?

Premium
Kenner, LA
said by Babar:

Such as?

I don't know if I should tell you are not because I don't know if you are a spy. I will say anyway.

Newsleecher Supersearch of course. Newsgroup header indexing sites like binsearch, etc.

Babar
Premium
join:2001-05-09
Washington
Oh, OK.

It sounded like you had some super stealthy solution...

Babar, non-spy
--
"Geez, I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake."

Premium
Kenner, LA
said by Babar:

Oh, OK.

It sounded like you had some super stealthy solution...

Babar, non-spy

For some it may be. Those who don't know newsgroups.

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
How does binsearch bypass DMCA? You still have to pull the articles from your provider in the end so if it doesn't have it, you are shit out of luck.

nynjspeed

join:2001-09-10
Howell, NJ
reply to AndrewW
giganews has turned out to be a pos...there's stuff just 20 days old that already isn't available...not good for the $25/mo package i'm paying now...

Astraweb is the way to go now i take it?
--
"...life is a state of mind......."

AndrewW

Toronto, ON

1 edit
reply to sandman_1
said by sandman_1:

How does binsearch bypass DMCA? You still have to pull the articles from your provider in the end so if it doesn't have it, you are shit out of luck.

I would like to know as well!

Earlier you mentioned that Astraweb has problems filling posts in a certain age range. Why then does it not have peering arrangements with other providers to fill those gaps?

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
reply to nynjspeed
said by nynjspeed:

giganews has turned out to be a pos...there's stuff just 20 days old that already isn't available...not good for the $25/mo package i'm paying now...

Astraweb is the way to go now i take it?

I'm not sure that Astraweb is the way to go at least for me. For some weird reason I keep getting this stalling issue with them which I have never been able to resolve. Be that as it may, a lot of people are switching over to Astraweb and report they are able to download a lot of the stuff which is just unavailable on Giganews but it certainly isn't nirvana. I'm testing out Ngroups right now and I'm trying to get this 128 day old post of a major release that was not available on Highwinds or some of the other providers including GN. Ngroups is trying to download it through Astraweb. I guess they have a peering arrangement with them and it is missing from Astraweb as well.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by AndrewW:

Ngroups is trying to download it through Astraweb. I guess they have a peering arrangement with them and it is missing from Astraweb as well.

That is not how it works. It sounds like you have a newsreader (probably SabNZB) that shows MSG IDs in the logs / status tab. This just reflects who the article was posted through originally, not who it is downloading from.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
said by swintec:

said by AndrewW:

Ngroups is trying to download it through Astraweb. I guess they have a peering arrangement with them and it is missing from Astraweb as well.

That is not how it works. It sounds like you have a newsreader (probably SabNZB) that shows MSG IDs in the logs / status tab. This just reflects who the article was posted through originally, not who it is downloading from.

You're right. I do use Sabnzbd+ and I guess I misinterpreted the domain name in the connections tab. Thanks for pointing that out. Regardless, the post I 'm trying to get is still most likely missing from Astraweb given the fact that it was not there a few weeks ago when I tried to download it from them.

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA
reply to AndrewW
It always pays to have a back up server to use as well. But first do you have the US server as primary and the EU one as a backup in sabnzbd? If not, I would do that first.

Second you can get a free account from xsusenet to help fill in the gaps: »www.xsusenet.com/en/