uniqs
AndrewW
join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON

AndrewW to swintec

to swintec

Re: [Newsgroups] Newsgroups and DMCA Takedowns

said by swintec:

Amsterdam (netherlands) is very rich in connectivity which is why you see the majority of Usenet servers there, fast, "cheap", great peering, etc.

Yes, Amsterdam is rich in connectivity but by the actions of the district court of Amsterdam, it has erected a virtual curtain across its portion of the global digital highway thus removing itself from the digital highway on which the free flow of uncensored and unfiltered information so critically dependant. We cannot allow some district court in some small country to act as a global censor of information.
said by swintec:

In this big rat race, I would rather have DMCA than no servers at all. Lots of discussion still goes on. Sucks we have gotten to this point, but I am not sure what the solution is. Get rid of NZB Indexers that make things easy? Make a Usenet Island in the middle of the Pacific where everything runs? I dunno...

Having DMCA greatly diminishes the value of Usenet given that this effectively reduces the retention window to about 3 days much like Giganews has exhibited on some releases lately. It makes Usenet's long-term viability questionable and really enhances the case for p2p/vpn.

How would getting rid of NZB indexers relieve the US Usenet providers of having to comply with a DMCA notice? All it would do is make Usenet relevant only for an ever diminishing few and greatly expedite the ultimate demise of Usenet.

I think picking a relatively poor country where the protection of IP rights ranges from minimal to nonexistent and copyright protection is mostly seen as a transfer of wealth from poor countries to the rich ones, would be an ideal location for placing a Usenet server farm.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by AndrewW:

How would getting rid of NZB indexers relieve the US Usenet providers of having to comply with a DMCA notice? All it would do is make Usenet relevant only for an ever diminishing few and greatly expedite the ultimate demise of Usenet.

If I am looking for my copyrighted works I go to the super easy search tools of indexers and NZB forums, grab the NZB, do a few copy and pastes of the message IDs and fire off the complaint.

You know as well as I do, dealing with headers is enough to make your head spin. The time and resources to search out ones intellectual property, if it even exists at all, would not be efficient.

Maybe an obscure naming convention for headers? I do not know really.
said by AndrewW:

I think picking a relatively poor country where the protection of IP rights ranges from minimal to nonexistent and copyright protection is mostly seen as a transfer of wealth from poor countries to the rich ones, would be an ideal location for placing a Usenet server farm.

What country do you have in mind? Which poor country is going to have gigabits and gigabits of decent connectivity to the rest of the world? What poor country has half decent facilities so the servers / data center have an uptime of 99.999%? All without astronomical pricing because users want $5 a month unlimited accounts so they can saturate there 100 MBit internet connection with 3 connections.

I get what you are saying though. Problem is, with what it takes to run a system, resource and cash wise, in an industrialized , modern nation I can only imagine what it would be if you plunked things down in a "poor" country where many of the citizens may not even have internet or power access.

I do agree something needs to happen though. Users may need to realize that it will either come at the expense of pricing or ease of use and access.