Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

Re: New to Comcast, any suggestions?

I do have another (sorry) question:

Comcast sent me both the VOIP modem, a RCA DHG535-2 model, which is Docsis 2.0, as well as a Cisco Docsis 3.0 (no VOIP) modem.

Upon calling Comcast and asking why, they told me that in case I went to a higher speed package, I could hook up the Cisco modem via splitter, and use the RCA for phone and the Cisco for internet. I was assured that I was not going to pay rent on 2 modems, and suggested that I hold on to the Cisco modem whether or not I used it.

This sounds a bit peculiar to me...not sure if this was correct information...does anybody here know?

If this is do-able, is there any reason that I would want/need to do so at my present speed? I doubt that the "performance" tier would particularly benefit from Docsis 3.0, but I am a total noob when it comes to cable internet, as my whole experience with broadband for the last 10+ years has been dsl only.

I would sure appreciate any observations/comments on this!
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by PeteC2:

I do have another (sorry) question:

Comcast sent me both the VOIP modem, a RCA DHG535-2 model, which is Docsis 2.0, as well as a Cisco Docsis 3.0 (no VOIP) modem.

Upon calling Comcast and asking why, they told me that in case I went to a higher speed package, I could hook up the Cisco modem via splitter, and use the RCA for phone and the Cisco for internet. I was assured that I was not going to pay rent on 2 modems, and suggested that I hold on to the Cisco modem whether or not I used it.

This sounds a bit peculiar to me...not sure if this was correct information...does anybody here know?

If this is do-able, is there any reason that I would want/need to do so at my present speed? I doubt that the "performance" tier would particularly benefit from Docsis 3.0, but I am a total noob when it comes to cable internet, as my whole experience with broadband for the last 10+ years has been dsl only.

I would sure appreciate any observations/comments on this!

You definitely want to use Doc 3.0 on your internet, assuming your area is Doc 3.0 enabled.

I have the CC Biz performance starter and I got an SMCD3G which is Doc 3.0, although it's not needed for my plan, but it's nice to have it. The 4 channels bonded for download speeds is I think much more stable than a Doc 2.0 modem.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
There are indeed benefits to be had by using a D3 capable modem on an upgraded to D3 system such as increased connection reliability due to the multiple bonded channel redundancy and failover capability. There are also increased capacity/reduced congestion benefits which result in increased reliability of receiving one's provisioned speeds especially during times of peak usage/demand. Higher Powerboost assisted speeds have been noted as well. It's a win win for both the provider and the subscriber.
Robyn5
join:2012-03-09

Robyn5 to PeteC2

to PeteC2
The modem I got yesterday is an Arris T6862G - a Docsis 3.0 gateway which handles both phone and internet (although I'm only using the internet). I don't like splitting signals unless I have to. You might keep this in mind if you wind up having any problems with either or both of the units you received. Robyn

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

1 edit

PeteC2 to EG

MVM

to EG
Thanks EG, sounds like good advice, but for now, I am not real excited about splitting the signal between two modems...although maybe that is not a big deal? Who knows though, I may yet find myself in a tweaking mode however!

If I see congestion being an issue in my location, that may become a big consideration. As I am new to cable, I have to see how peak/non-peak congestion affects my connection.
PeteC2

PeteC2 to Robyn5

MVM

to Robyn5
said by Robyn5:

The modem I got yesterday is an Arris T6862G - a Docsis 3.0 gateway which handles both phone and internet (although I'm only using the internet). I don't like splitting signals unless I have to. You might keep this in mind if you wind up having any problems with either or both of the units you received. Robyn

I have considered already the possibility of buying a VOIP Docsis 3 modem since in the long haul, renting is not cost-effective (assuming that I will stay with Comcast a good while).

Did you buy your modem or is this one from Comcast?

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by PeteC2:

I have considered already the possibility of buying a VOIP Docsis 3 modem since in the long haul, renting is not cost-effective (assuming that I will stay with Comcast a good while).

Current consensus is that the only customer-owned telephony modem approved by Comcast is the Arris TM722G, which you must purchase from your local Best Buy (if available) that has a Comcast Communications Center/kiosk. About $150 for the modem plus professional installation. Some stores/areas will allow a "self install". Those may supply a kit that looks like this;

»blog.trebacz.com/2012/01 ··· ris.html

Also be advised that some market areas do not allow customer owned eMTA's at all. It's best to call in a see what your market area's policies are.

»www.arrisi.com/consumer/ ··· _Buy.pdf

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

EG, any concerns about splitting the signal, or do you think that having the Docsis 3.0 modem to be more important than splitting?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

What are your current (unsplit) signal levels?
Robyn5
join:2012-03-09

1 edit

Robyn5 to PeteC2

to PeteC2
Hi PeteC2 - It's a rental from Comcast. $7/month (same as for basic modem). At least where I live - greater JAX FL metro area - it's a tech install only. Which costs $49.95. Kind of a rip-off for a modem installation - but the tech did give us our money's worth in terms of checking our whole line system inside and outside - and our amplifier - and replacing all corroded /outdated parts (we have about 10 Comcast lines running into the house - took him about an hour to make them all "pretty" ). I reckon we got our money's worth.

Note that we built our house in 1995 - when we were on the old Mediaone cable internet (one of the first fiberoptic systems in the country). So we have a lot of redundant cable connections into the house (like 2 in my home office - one for TV - one for internet).

I know you said you had checked all your connections to make sure they were "clean" - but I wonder how you can do that in terms of checking stuff in the lines from the street to the box? Unless you work for an outfit like Comast - and have those neat little testing gadgets. Like you - we are refugees from AT&T (old Bellsouth) - and whenever I have had problems - my lines always tested clean - even when nothing was working.

Anyway - I decided to rent first - if only because I wanted to see how the service works - both in terms of the main LAN connection - and the wireless connections. If it stinks - I can always try AT&T again. And if it doesn't - and the modem works great - well $7/month is peanuts for a rental. I personally would pay $7/month to a total stranger never to hear the phrase "IP address conflict" again! Robyn

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

orion940 to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
I had the business class phone and internet installed (tech install) earlier this yr. In my house, the phone comes in in the basement, so thats where the phone modem is. I never would have gotten that all right. I got a 3-yr contract and there was no installation charge.

With the tech install he measured everything, and the internet was good. However, I started noticing a degradation in the TV (residential). It took me 2 calls, and a tech visit, there were issues at the pole. The fixed them. Ever since then, its been good.

Soooo bottom line, had I had to pay for the tech install, I would have.

O.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

1 edit

PeteC2 to Robyn5

MVM

to Robyn5
said by Robyn5:

I know you said you had checked all your connections to make sure they were "clean" - but I wonder how you can do that in terms of checking stuff in the lines from the street to the box? Unless you work for an outfit like Comast - and have those neat little testing gadgets. Like you - we are refugees from AT&T (old Bellsouth) - and whenever I have had problems - my lines always tested clean - even when nothing was working.

True enough...I am only referring to what comes in from the Cable box junction for my unit (large apartment complex, that has had a bulk agreement with Comcast since it was built). I did have the line checked by a Comcast tech when I went HD a couple of years ago, and supposedly we had very good signal...but I am hardly an expert about that! I do not know the actual signal levels coming into my unit.

Because this complex has always had a contract with Comcast (basic/extended cable are free here), there is a constant Comcast prescence out here with lots of maintenance.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
This page will help you find your signal levels »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How To Get Help!
, and posting that info (or as much as you can) will help us , to help you figure out if all you need is a splitter, or if you need an install tech's help.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by tshirt:

This page will help you find your signal levels »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How To Get Help!
, and posting that info (or as much as you can) will help us , to help you figure out if all you need is a splitter, or if you need an install tech's help.

Thanks tshirt! I will check it out.
PeteC2

PeteC2

MVM

said by PeteC2:

said by tshirt:

I can only access a basic status page, which
is shown below:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RF Parameters
Downstream
Frequency 741 MHz Power -10 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio 33 dB Modulation QAM256
Upstream
Frequency 30 MHz Power 45 dBmV
Upstream Data Rate 5120 Ksym/sec Modulation QAM64

Status
System uptime 0 days 15h:48m:00s
Computers detected 1
CM Status Operational
WAN Isolation OFF
Time and Date Wed Mar 14 23:42:39 2012

Interface Parameters
Interface Name : LANCABLEUSBMTA
Provisioned Enabled State Up
Speed 100 Mbps MAC address 00-10-95-ff-ff-fe

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to EG

to EG
I came across a few other Comcast approved modems off its own website if its any help. The Ubee is also D3 supported.

Ubee
DVM3203B Ubee (formerly Ambit) DOCSIS 3.0 Telephony Modem

Thomson
DHG535 VoIP Cable Modem

Thomson
DHG536 VoIP Cable Modem with Battery Backup
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
Signals are borderline. probably fine for a doxsis2 modem but might act up with a doxsis three modem.
id09542
join:2002-04-25
Bloomington, IL

id09542 to PeteC2

to PeteC2
As long as you get the performance you subscribe to, I would not use both modems. Why have two wall warts, splitter etc when the end result is no different.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
said by PeteC2:

said by PeteC2:

said by tshirt:

Frequency 741 MHz Power -10 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio 33 dB Modulation QAM256

Your Downstream is on the edge of acceptable. I would say that SNR at 33 is unacceptable.
Did you still do the self install? Your upstream is in a good place but your forward levels are pretty darn low, and judging by the SNR readings compared to the upstream I would "guess" attenuation.
How long is your drop or outlets in feet? How many splits do you have already?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by CableTool:

Your Downstream is on the edge of acceptable. I would say that SNR at 33 is unacceptable.
Did you still do the self install? Your upstream is in a good place but your forward levels are pretty darn low, and judging by the SNR readings compared to the upstream I would "guess" attenuation.
How long is your drop or outlets in feet? How many splits do you have already?

Yes, I did the self install, but now wish that I had considered them being out here to ensure that I was getting an optimal signal...in hindsight that may have not been so smart!

However, I am getting great connectivity to this point, using the Docsis 2 VOIP modem (tried splitting in the Docsis 3 modem and there was an obvious signal issue at that point, so I ceased that experiment!). I am not on a high tier, just the "performance" setting.

I am only a few feet away from the wall outlet, however, that is not the first outlet coming into the apartment...I'd say 35 - 40 feet from there. i am using a splitter as I have a tv in my home office.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
well you certainly can't just re-split it in the office.
for best reliablity you are going to need a tech visit sometime, maybe suddenly. I think I'd call sooner and see if they can set up a convienent time for you, even if you have to pay a fee.

The good news is I bet your SNR will be awesome once they add a little power to that line.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by tshirt:

well you certainly can't just re-split it in the office.
for best reliablity you are going to need a tech visit sometime, maybe suddenly. I think I'd call sooner and see if they can set up a convienent time for you, even if you have to pay a fee.

The good news is I bet your SNR will be awesome once they add a little power to that line.

Thanks, yes I will do that very shortly! I do not mind paying a fee for a service visit...I simply did not realize that having a tech out here was much needed, and asked for the self-install option. Hate to admit it but I never gave any thought to having a weak or borderline signal coming in!
PeteC2

PeteC2

MVM

Re: New to Comcast, any suggestions? - Thank You!

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and suggestions!

I now have the Cisco DPC 3008 Docsis 3.0 modem split in with the RCA eMTA modem, and all is well, although the signal is borderline, and if it gives me any grief I'll get a tech out here.

Connectivity though is fine, and both phone and internet are working great, speeds both down and up are consistent.