Re: [Newsgroups] Newsgroups and DMCA Takedowns

Hi Bark,

Check your PM.

Andrew
Bark
join:2006-03-19
Grand Junction, CO

Bark

It looks like Giganews is simply rejecting the non-standard Message-ID's in some posts. Both posts in your IM have them; two sets of square brackets in the right half of the msg-id and technically that's not NNTP protocol. Nothing to do with DMCA, Giganews is being strict about accepting properly formatted articles. I'll ask the Giganews CTO about it.
AndrewW
join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON

AndrewW

said by Bark:

It looks like Giganews is simply rejecting the non-standard Message-ID's in some posts. Both posts in your IM have them; two sets of square brackets in the right half of the msg-id and technically that's not NNTP protocol. Nothing to do with DMCA, Giganews is being strict about accepting properly formatted articles. I'll ask the Giganews CTO about it.

That would make sense. I couldn't see how a DMCA request would work so fast. Nonetheless its only GN users who are complaining about these missing files. One would think that the premium newsgroup provider would bend over backwards to ensure that important content remain on their servers as it remained on every other Usenet provider's, rather then cause tremendous grief amongst its users, motivating them to leave with at least two claiming they were sundering 5 year relationships with GN. What's amazing to me is that GN users, including myself at one point, would laugh at Astraweb users about their seeming incessant whining about incompletes encouraging them to get a real Usenet provider. Now its the GN users doing the whining and switching to Astraweb, which I may add never ended up working for me.

All the major releases associated with the nzbs I sent you (some 20,000 nzbs in total downloaded from Nzbmatrix alone) were deleted by GN within 3 days of the nzbs being released making a mockery of their claimed retention and causing even more users to abandon their service. These I assume were DMCA takedowns. Apparently GN's new motto is “If you snooze, you lose with Giganews”.
Bark
join:2006-03-19
Grand Junction, CO

Bark

said by AndrewW:

That would make sense. I couldn't see how a DMCA request would work so fast. Nonetheless its only GN users who are complaining about these missing files. One would think that the premium newsgroup provider would bend over backwards to ensure that important content remain on their servers as it remained on every other Usenet provider's, rather then cause tremendous grief amongst its users, motivating them to leave with at least two claiming they were sundering 5 year relationships with GN. What's amazing to me is that GN users, including myself at one point, would laugh at Astraweb users about their seeming incessant whining about incompletes encouraging them to get a real Usenet provider. Now its the GN users doing the whining and switching to Astraweb, which I may add never ended up working for me.

All the major releases associated with the nzbs I sent you (some 20,000 nzbs in total downloaded from Nzbmatrix alone) were deleted by GN within 3 days of the nzbs being released making a mockery of their claimed retention and causing even more users to abandon their service. These I assume were DMCA takedowns. Apparently GN's new motto is “If you snooze, you lose with Giganews”.

GN tech said the two posts for which you sent me links by IM were rejected because the msg-id's have 2 '@' characters. Nothing to do with DMCA and GN will not change its article acceptance code for that one infrequent poster of small posts. The related posts, the big ones, were DMCA'd from GN and Highwinds 3 days after posting. They must follow the law if they want to stay in business.
AndrewW
join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON

AndrewW

said by Bark:

said by AndrewW:

GN tech said the two posts for which you sent me links by IM were rejected because the msg-id's have 2 '@' characters. Nothing to do with DMCA and GN will not change its article acceptance code for that one infrequent poster of small posts. The related posts, the big ones, were DMCA'd from GN and Highwinds 3 days after posting. They must follow the law if they want to stay in business.

Thanks for updating us on GN's position. Unfortunately this rejection seems to be happening more frequently then they would like to admit. There is a more recent post in the same Nzbmatrix section where a number of GN users are complaining of a missing post. GN is certainly free to do what it wants as are GN's customers as they abandon their service and flee to their competitor's in droves. As for it being DMCA'd from Highwinds as well, I am not surprised but more tolerable as I'm paying 1/3 GN's price. Nonetheless, I'm still seeking a reliable provider unmoved by DMCA notices or any other notices. Finally, I haven't downloaded the whole thing but it still appears to be available on Astraweb's Euro server.