Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AndrewW

Re: [Newsgroups] Newsgroups and DMCA Takedowns

Here's how I ended working my way through the take downs - I have an unlimited account from Newshosting, a block account from Blocknews, and a three-month, speed limited (10Mbps) $20 account from Astraweb. Generally speaking I can get most everything.

AndrewW

join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

said by kingdome74:

Here's how I ended working my way through the take downs - I have an unlimited account from Newshosting, a block account from Blocknews, and a three-month, speed limited (10Mbps) $20 account from Astraweb. Generally speaking I can get most everything.

I do something similar but I really don't have 100% confidence in my arrangement and I am looking for something better/simpler. Some users claim to be totally untouched by the DMCA and use only single providers. Who are they using? Do they have VIP access?

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by AndrewW:

I do something similar but I really don't have 100% confidence in my arrangement and I am looking for something better/simpler. Some users claim to be totally untouched by the DMCA and use only single providers. Who are they using? Do they have VIP access?

If you have your servers all set up there should not be anything to worry about. The newsreader will take care of the rest.

Those that arent affected most likely just have different downloading habits (ie..what they are after, how soon they download a post, etc).

For end users, my personal opinion is I think it is only going to get worse.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

AndrewW

join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

said by swintec:

said by AndrewW:

If you have your servers all set up there should not be anything to worry about. The newsreader will take care of the rest.

Those that arent affected most likely just have different downloading habits (ie..what they are after, how soon they download a post, etc).

For end users, my personal opinion is I think it is only going to get worse.

Provided I have the right fill servers which is something I'm trying to ascertain. My thinking is it is already getting worse with one having to add more fill servers and constantly adjusting providers. Is it even possible today to have a Usenet provider who ignores DMCA requests?