reply to navymaverick

Re: [PvP] Multi-boxing

»www.geekologie.com/2008/10/guy-p···raft.php

Arthritis

join:2011-10-20
Canada
reply to Immer

Not to highjack the thread but....

Have you ever experienced a raid encounter that was so challenging that you had to spend a lot of time mastering the various intricacies of it to even survive, let even come close to beat it? Im talking multiple, multiple wipe after wipe, frustration, cursing, keyboard smashing, you got to be kidding me folks type this is fucking retarded hard type of challenge?

What is it that keeps you and others coming back to beat this? Its not the epics; its not the achievements. But its that Fuckyeah! moment when everyone is on the same page and executes almost flawlessly together and a raid boss falls for the first time. Its quite a feeling and a very rewarding sense of accomplish.

What if I told you there was an encounter where you could essentially take that same boss, give it a lower health pool but multiply it by 3 or 5….and oh yeah, give it a cognitive thought process that cant be learned, studied or prepared for….
Welcome to Arena.

The mindsets between PvE and PvP are more similar than you think at a higher level, as is the rewarding feeling, pain, frustration and ultimate sense of accomplishment. My mindset in PvP is just as magnanimous as when I was progression raiding, if not more so.

Carl Jung said it best when he said In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order. I really believe this is the general mindset of higher end PvP and PvE players alike, namely entering that chaos, finding the secret order and excelling.

You cant compare experiences in heroic dungeons and LFR where douche mindsets are plentiful to high end progression raiding conduct which is much more serene in general. Similarly, you cant compare regular BG / low level arena / in realm world pvp douche mindsets to higher end arena / rated BG conduct.

TL/DR: You can approach PvP with the mindset and values of a Buddhist monk and still be quite successful at it and enjoy it.

Were all not dickheads.

Edit: I still can't quote properly

navymaverick

join:2011-07-21
Papillion, NE
kudos:3
reply to Phantasee

said by Phantasee:

The guy that had, like, 32 accounts went full retard IMO.

Mormon Belf?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8

so glad I wasn't sipping my coffee when the page loaded. this tie is brand new.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to Phantasee

Meet Worldwade...Orc Hunters, Kil'Jaeden.

»/speak/slidesh···LXN0dWZm

My shammy is somewhere in the midst of that mess.
--
Mcbrain, Goblin Shadow Priest, [P A R A G E N E S I S], Kil'Jaeden
Necrotize, Undead Rogue, [P A R A G E N E S I S], Kil'Jaeden
Mcbrain, Orc Enhancement Shaman, [Oblivious], Arthas

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Wow...

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

In my BC/Wrath Raiding guild, we had a 5box Shaman. It meant we didn't have to recruit 5 dps and she could (yes, irl woman) could be in the top 10 dps.
--
“Reality doesn't bite, rather our perception of reality bites.” - Anthony J. D'Angelo

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to drew

said by drew:

You managed to leave the N out three times. Bravo.

I #($&ing love you more and more.

That is exactly what I was thinking as I read that.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

I aim to amuse.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to Tirael

said by Tirael:

It meant we didn't have to recruit 5 dps and she could (yes, irl woman) could be in the top 10 dps.

said by Tirael:

she could (yes, irl woman) be in the top 10 dps.

said by Tirael:

in the top 10 dps.

When you added the DPS of all five shamans together maybe...

Haha...

Inb4sexist.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

You're just mad that you can't find a woman who can outdps you...inbed

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

To be fair, for most men that's actually a badge of pride.

Threatco

join:2011-04-19
Moncton, NB
reply to Arthritis

said by Arthritis:

Not to highjack the thread but....

Have you ever experienced a raid encounter that was so challenging that you had to spend a lot of time mastering the various intricacies of it to even survive, let even come close to beat it? Im talking multiple, multiple wipe after wipe, frustration, cursing, keyboard smashing, you got to be kidding me folks type this is fucking retarded hard type of challenge?

2 words..........

Heroic.....

Mimiron.....

/faint

He was not just the hardest boss I have ever killed. He was the peak of my raiding career. I took 10 people who had never done current tier raiding and dragged them kicking and screaming to our Rusted Proto-Drakes a couple weeks before ToC.

Of all the bosses, Mimiron was the hardest to exacute. I could say Yogg 1 light was harder to learn. But once you have done it once, it's very repeatable.

Not so for Mimiron. That is the kind if fight you just pray for crit heals. You become the disciple of the all powerful god of R.N.G.

The fire.. oh the fire. So much fire.... I told them, "Don't stand in the fire" But they would just not listen. I watched them burn. I tanked ask much as I could but there was nothing I could do as I watched my closest friends and allies fall one by one. Only to be resurected just to be allowed to again suffer and die. Over and over again. So strong was our desire to be one of the first owners of the prestigious Rusted Proto-Drake.

Once we finaly killed the mad gnomish robot we were extatic. It was an achievement like none other any of us had ever felt. Despite all his rockets and bullets and lasers and fire we persevered.

But the next weak he was magicly inexplicably rebuilt. And we could just not find the same luck to get him down a second time. We had to give up on "hardmode" and just kill him normal for a couple of weeks before we were able to kill him for a second time.

Redawg81
T3h N3wb

join:2001-08-04
Jacksonville, FL
reply to navymaverick

Ill refer my personal opinion on m-boxing
Just keep it outa pvp, nothing says fair like a guy hittin 1 button casting 5 spells. Just sayin.

If you feel froggy see how many characters you can rank in pve, then Ill be impressed.

That would be epic

R3d
--
Why can't I decide why my feelings I hide? Always screwing with my mind, a thorn in my spine. Oh sure, it feels fine, wasting all our time. In the back of my mind, a thorn in my spine.We are the Children Of the KoRn.

Arthritis

Canada
reply to navymaverick

To the OP and on topic, I used to raid with a rogue who dual boxed a healer. Mind you it was always a tier or two lower than the content we actually worked on at the time, but he was a key binding genius in my opinion.

He actually encouraged most of the guild to at least dual box when levelling pre-heirlooms. I've run Hellfire enough to make me puke trying to gear the "new" level 60's in level 30 gear. lol

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT
reply to Redawg81

said by Redawg81:

Ill refer my personal opinion on m-boxing
Just keep it outa pvp

And likewise, keep any communication you can convey to more than one person outa pvp as well. Nothing says fair like having 20 players line up at a given location and telling them all to "fire now."

navymaverick

Papillion, NE
reply to navymaverick

What would you all think about boxing a team for RBGs? Tha would be quite interesting.

Arthritis

Canada

I think an AV with 8 multi-box teams of 5 on each side would be very entertaining

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to Gork

said by Gork:

Nothing says fair like having 20 players line up at a given location and telling them all to "fire now."

This argument is such nonsense. Nobody actually says a word about a multiboxer in rated BGs because it doesn't happen because it's a horrible idea. This level of coordination is impossible in non-rated play as you're limited to 5 people at one time to queue. And have you ever asked 5 people in vent to do the same thing at the same time? Protip: doesn't happen in ~100ms like it will with AutoHotKey.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Phantasee

I actually had a chat with ol' Worldwade last night in trade. He has 50 accounts. I nearly started a riot in /2 when someone called him a "loser" and I replied that he spends more money a month on WoW accounts than most of the "losers" in trade chat make on their paychecks...if they get them at all.

His guild is called Gator Raid (lol) on Kil'Jaeden if anyone is interested.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

poking the bear i see

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
reply to navymaverick

I love to see it in action tbh. Both in game, and to see how he is managing it hardware/keystroke-wise. Quite impressive.

50x15= $750/month. If he enjoys doing that, its a hell of a lot cheaper than some other hobbies. Its his money, he should do what makes him happy.

navymaverick

Papillion, NE
reply to navymaverick

I want to see the support he has in place for his gaming like power, cooling, monitors......

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to saillaw

said by saillaw:

50x15= $750/month. If he enjoys doing that, its a hell of a lot cheaper than some other hobbies. Its his money, he should do what makes him happy.

I agree 100%.

Imagine how much he spends at EB Games or Best Buy on release day. Not to mention what his equipment costs are, because I would assume he is running 10+ machines...then you factor in the power bill he pays monthly.

I'd be willing to guess he pays more like $1300 bucks a month on WoW related stuff.

But, I fully agree that it is his money and if he wants to spend it on that, then more power to him.

I mean people spend money on dumber shit.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravina_Island_Bridge
--
Mcbrain, Goblin Shadow Priest, [P A R A G E N E S I S], Kil'Jaeden
Necrotize, Undead Rogue, [P A R A G E N E S I S], Kil'Jaeden
Mcbrain, Orc Enhancement Shaman, [Oblivious], Arthas

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

I would have gone with a picture of someone's garage filled with $500K+ cars that never get driven... but, you know... shameless political plug kinda works... like bladestorm in arenas.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

Did you work for my last company too?

Redawg81
T3h N3wb

join:2001-08-04
Jacksonville, FL
reply to Gork

I erased my entire reply.

Bad troll is bad

Just sayin you dont... Ima leave this be

Vent lag + Location + Human response time + ISP Lag + .......

R3d

P.S. Just sayin, per usual

Threatco

join:2011-04-19
Moncton, NB
reply to navymaverick

Click for full size
There are so many multi-boxing threads too I am surprised no one mentioned it. Just do a search and you will see my thoughts on it if you care.

Got bored and made an SS, much love Navy. I know your cool.

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT
reply to drew

said by drew:

This argument is such nonsense ... have you ever asked 5 people in vent to do the same thing at the same time? Protip: doesn't happen in ~100ms like it will with AutoHotKey.

Probably doesn't happen because it's difficult to set up and learn. So is multiboxing, which is probably the biggest reason (behind cost) why multiboxing isn't more popular than it is.

I don't PvP with my multiboxing toons, unless I'm attacked first - and that's only world PvP. But that's just because I don't like the PvP aspect of the game.

I can say it takes a lot of time to learn how to multibox; it's not a simple thing to set up and master. And to PvP multibox is even harder. And, I'd bet if more people spent the time learning about how it works precisely instead of bitching about it they'd learn relatively quickly that it is fairly easy to circumvent most PvP multiboxers and use the difficulties involved with multiboxing against them.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Gork:

I don't PvP with my multiboxing toons, unless I'm attacked first - and that's only world PvP. But that's just because I don't like the PvP aspect of the game.

a kindred spirit (at least in this regard).
The WoW community, especially the pvp-l33t, are very quick to QQ the moment they are presented with something they don't have a counter for already. The default assumption is "blizz screwed up", "this is completely unbalanced", "I should be playing LoL"... or as in the case of MB in world pvp, "that guy's cheating!!!!"

how many MB have ranked 2v2/3v3/5v5 teams? If they can't get ranked... then it's not really a game imbalance. You just hate that you lost the fight. So do I... but I'm smart enough to blame pvp mindset... while applauding the planning, and imagination that MB requires (and maybe a little jealous of the bankroll).
--
Immergruen (resto/kitty) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Guild leader for Pride and Ego

than/then | to/two/too | A lot (notice the space in there) | you/your/you're