how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LCromwell

join:2012-03-12
New Braunfels, TX

[Cable] Network adapter settings

Ok I have been having trouble getting the D/L and U/L speeds RR level 3 tech says I should get. He had me go into my Network Adapter (Intel Pro/1000 PL Network Connection) Intel MOBO. The setting is set at 100Mbps/Full Duplex Link Status has a green light. Speed and Duplex is set to Auto Detect.
tech said it should be set to 1000. I only have this setting (Auto- negotiate 1000mbps) for the 1000. When I select it the green link light goes out on the Link Status and it shows a cable diconnect in my task bar. Reading in the window also says I have a cable diconnected or a bad cable. Well if it works on 100 why not 1000? Then the Tech told me to see Intels site about a driver update which I did and finally got a 2010 driver update. Still same problem.
Words in window box of adapter for the 100 setting are :
Speed and Duplex Setting. By default, Intel® adapters are set to automatically detect and negotiate speed and duplex settings. If the adapter fails to connect, you can set the speed and duplex settings to match those of the link partner. The Auto-negotiate 1000Mbps setting sets the adapter to advertise only that speed during auto-negotiation.

EEE Enabled: "EEE Enabled" is displayed if this device has negotiated an Energy Efficient Ethernet link with its link partner
Connection test passed.

Test details

This connection obtained an IP address
from a DHCP server.
Ping Gateway 172.16.0.1: Passed
Link speed: 100Mbps. The link partner
is not capable of higher speeds.
So I am at a loss of what to do now? I posted this info on Intels forums page days ago and have heard nothing back.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
What is the device the other end of your enet cable is connected to, a modem or a router? The NIC in that device also has to support a 1Gb connection as well otherwise you get the results you did when you tried to force it to sync at 1Gb.
What OS is your PC running?

LCromwell

New Braunfels, TX
said by aguen:

What is the device the other end of your enet cable is connected to, a modem or a router? The NIC in that device also has to support a 1Gb connection as well otherwise you get the results you did when you tried to force it to sync at 1Gb.
What OS is your PC running?

I am running XP Home SP2.
I am plugged into my 600 Netgear router plug in 4 and then a UBEE modem plugged into LAN 1 with the wireless turned off onthe Modem.

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to LCromwell
Ok, if I read your response correctly, your cable modem (UBEE) is connected to a lan port on the Netgear router and your PC is connected to another lan port on the same router. If that is correct, then I have to ask why?? The modem should be connected to your routers wan port.

LCromwell

New Braunfels, TX
The modem is connected from its WAN (Yellow receiver) with yellow cable into ETH1 on the Modem.

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to LCromwell
I was referring to the wan port on the N600 router should be connected to the UBEE, not a lan port on the N600 which is what your previous post seemed to indicate.

UBEE modem plugged into LAN 1

LCromwell

New Braunfels, TX
I mean't The cable from the Netgear router was plugged into (ETH1) light flashing green on ETH1) LAN 1 of the UBEE modem. I assume ETH and LAN mean same thing here?changabl

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to LCromwell
You and I aren't talking about the same thing here. I'm going to suggest that you ask the moderator here to move this thread over to a more suitable forum for your issue: »Time Warner Cable TV/Voice
or, you can just go directly to this forum and start over again.

LCromwell

New Braunfels, TX
Ok. Sounds like I have wasted your time. Sorry if that is the case.