spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Poser
join:2002-07-28

Poser

Retention Offer from Rogers

I called Roger's to cancel, here was their offer:

Extreme Internet Service (28mb/1mb) $61.99 - 30% off = 43.39.

CSR said there was a "promotion" to get the modem fee waived, savings of $99.99 + tax. She said it was a Docsis 3 modem with wireless, which modem was she referring to?

Installation fee is N/A because I already have Express with them.

Usage allowance per month is 120GB, double the 60gb we have now - and we have been going over 60GB over the last 5 months. $2.00 per gb IF we go over 120.

Final price after taxes according to my estimates - $49.03.

Help me decide what I should do!

The Good:

Lowest price in terms of speed and purchasing a modem.

The Bad:

1 year commitment required
Low 120gb cap (in comparison to Teksavvy, Start, Velcom and Distributel)
$2.00 / gb if we go over the cap
Its putting more money into the hands of evil
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

I would only take the offer if the Docsis 3 modem is the CISCO. The SMC is garbage. Also, if you have any other services with Rogers, such as cable, you should also be able to get a deal with these as well. Don't settle for a deal on just the Internet!
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to Poser

to Poser
Don't worry about the modem, if they give you the SMC modem then you can take it back to the rogers store and ask for a Cisco modem.

Another offer they have is 70% off internet for two years but you have to keep any cable TV package at normal price for the entire two year contract period. This is a very good deal if and only if you own your cables boxes otherwise you end up paying big $$$ for cable box rental.
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

They often offer 30% off Cable with free cable boxes as well. Since most people pay more for TV than they do for Internet, if you can swing this deal it is much better than 70% off Internet but paying regular price for cable.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to Poser

to Poser
I had that deal until a couple weeks ago when I switched to the deal technocar2 mentioned. Definitely do the math to see what works better for you, it saved me $20/mo here to switch (and get double the speed to boot!)

My only comment is that unless it has changed recently, it's misleading for them to say that the modem savings is $99...to me that implies that they're giving you a free modem but in reality they're waiving the monthly rental fee, so you're really only saving $7 * 12 = $84. Still not bad, but that's not the point.
rainor94
join:2009-03-05

rainor94 to Poser

to Poser
Switch to Teksavvy. $46.95 + tax a month and you get rid of all the negatives. The big issue for you is usage in a year if your usage continues to increase do you want to continuously check to make sure you don't go over or pay the overages?

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to Poser

Anon

to Poser
If you think you can comfortably stay below the cap and if you haven't had issues in terms of reliability with Rogers then I would take the offer. If you've never had issues with reliability, taking a one year contract IMO is a non issue. Most people treat internet as an essential service these days so if you know you're going to need internet for the next 365 days and don't have issues with your service I don't see the harm in signing up for one year. If you move, the contract is transferable and if you move out of the service area, the ECF is waived. In addition, if you move to a TPIA provider, Rogers is still making a lot of money from you.

If the cap is the biggest issue, then it would make sense to jump ship.

Poser

Poser to Hooter

to Hooter
Hooter, the rep said the modem had a wireless feature. What is the exact model name of the CISCO modem?

technocar2, my family lives in the stone age, we're still on analog cable! HAHA! No boxes for us.

Ree9, I explicitly asked the rep if the modem is mine for keeps even after the year is up. She said yes it would be mine. I need to record these calls!

yyzlhr, Rogers has been very reliable. I just want the best deal overall. I don't mind signing a 1 year contract - but anything beyond that is pushing it. But if I can get 70% off for 2 years, that makes extreme only $18 a month! Or Ultimate 75Mb/s (250gb) for $29.99....

Going back to the wireless modem, I don't really need it. I'm fine with going with a plain old modem. I have a DLINK router that will do what I need it to do.

I'll call back and see what happens.
sakraycore
join:2008-01-08
Scarborough, ON

sakraycore to Poser

to Poser
I believe it's just the router part of SMC that sucks.

I'm using the SMC modem + WRT54GL for the router and it's rock solid.
Sunfox
join:2003-12-14
Stouffville

Sunfox

Rogers won't sell you a plain old modem, because they don't have any for D3 tiers like Extreme. You can have the SMC, or you can have the Cisco. Both are wireless routers.
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter to Poser

to Poser
said by Poser:

Hooter, the rep said the modem had a wireless feature. What is the exact model name of the CISCO modem?

It is a Cisco DPC3825. Regardless of whether or not you have the SMC or the Cisco, many people use their own routers. Reports indicate that the Cisco is the better modem though.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to sakraycore

to sakraycore
said by sakraycore:

I believe it's just the router part of SMC that sucks.

I'm using the SMC modem + WRT54GL for the router and it's rock solid.

Same here (though a Dir-655 for the router). I haven't had any problems with the modem part since I got it back in May. I'm getting the advertised speeds.

I'm hoping to be able to get some kind of retention deal once my current discount expires in May. The third-part providers have better prices and caps, but I don't like the little game that Rogers plays with them re: support when there's a problem. No Internet for several days? That wouldn't work too well here since I use the Internet for phone and TV as well. Plus the Internet is the only Rogers service I have left, so why do I get the feeling that my line would get disconnected "by accident" some time after switching to an independent? argh
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to Poser

to Poser
Yeah I'd confirm whether they're giving you the modem or not. From what I understand the higher speed tiers only have a wireless n modem option, and it's $199 on their website, so that doesn't jive with what she told you.

And I don't know if you can get Extreme+ for $18. I didn't ask for clarification, since I wanted Ultimate anyway, but they made it sound like the 70% off wasn't available on anything other than Ultimate.
Samgee
join:2010-08-02
canada

Samgee to Poser

to Poser
They'll say anything to get you to stay, and while it appears to be a good deal, it really isn't if you go over the cap.

Look around, there are plenty of other providers with much better deals that don't force you into a contract.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by Samgee:

They'll say anything to get you to stay, and while it appears to be a good deal, it really isn't if you go over the cap..

And if you don't go over the cap?
Samgee
join:2010-08-02
canada

Samgee

Then he's saving about $5 a month on a 1 year term with modem and taxes included. So provided he doesn't use any more than 122 GB/month it's a good deal.

Poser

Poser

I would love to get 25/7 for under $60. The only way I can see that happening is if they allow us to buy our own modem.
sakraycore
join:2008-01-08
Scarborough, ON

sakraycore to Hooter

to Hooter
What reports?
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

Reports from users on these boards and other discussion forums on-line.