spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ElectricWag

join:2012-03-14

[AB] BB50 / CISCO Modem - DHCP address served is outside range

Have BB50 Service and the CISCO modem. Also suffer from the daily resets. Originally thought that it was only happening in the very early am but has been getting worse during the day over the last couple of weeks.
The thing that my modem seems to suffer from...
Even though I have set the LAN IP addresses to a new range from the default, the modem will periodically reset and at least one of the previously connected ports at 192.168.55.xx gets served an address at 192.168.0.211 or 213. I originally thought that it was a faulty switch further down in the network but I have removed every level but the CISCO modem and it happened to my main pc that was connected directly to one of the 4 CISCO ports.
Is there a firmware update that needs to be pushed to the modem from Shaw?
Is the preferred mode of operation still bridged mode to a second router?

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

1 edit

Re: [AB] BB50 / CISCO Modem - DHCP address served is outside ran

said by ElectricWag:

It is my personal opinion that anyone that wants to really control their own network should run and support their own router. You can then choose your own firmware, all the settings, the hardware you are using, etc.

The modem/router combos are more of a convenience for those who don't care or know how to run a network themselves.

So you'll have to decide what is your preferred method.

Edit:
I'll toss a link to the Small Net Builder router charts since SNB goes good reviews of home networking devices.
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/r···rts/view

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12

said by ravenchilde:

said by ElectricWag:

It is my personal opinion that anyone that wants to really control their own network should run and support their own router. You can then choose your own firmware, all the settings, the hardware you are using, etc.

The modem/router combos are more of a convenience for those who don't care or know how to run a network themselves.

So you'll have to decide what is your preferred method.

I second this advice, well said ravenchilde.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to ElectricWag

If you have the knowledge to understand changing the subnet, you are likely a good candidate for using your own router.

If you have no idea what an IP address is, I would recomend no router at all, or the Gateway system.

This is my opinion, do what works best for you.

Firmware updates, will get pushed by the CMTS, if the version on the modem, does not match the version the CMTS wants.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.