Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to richdelb

Premium Member

to richdelb

Re: [FYI] Our Pet Memorial Thread

said by richdelb:

Thanks folks. This one hurts many times more than anything I have ever experienced before. I am really torn up about Orion. This is just unbelievable. The Vets tell me so, the shelter is dumbfounded... It's something out of a Stephen King book or something.

So very sorry to hear this, but again, I ask, are they SURE it was FIP? If indeed it is, then the shelter you got Orion from is likely infected with it at as well and every cat in there would likely have it. It's a VERY contagious disease, but also is misdiagnosed because positive tests don't mean 100% that the cat HAS it.

richdelb
Go Hawks Go
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Algonquin, IL

1 recommendation

richdelb

Premium Member

FIP doesn't really work like that. Here is an excellent source or info on FIP: »www.marvistavet.com/html ··· fip.html

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by richdelb:

FIP doesn't really work like that. Here is an excellent source or info on FIP: »www.marvistavet.com/html ··· fip.html

It's an infectious disease. Your link says in part:

It is common wherever cats are housed in groups
and it is readily transmitted between cats.

Transmission is typically by contact with infected feces. This means that the litter box is the usual place where infection takes place. This infection is unusual in cats that free-roam outdoors (no litter box) or who live in homes where there is only one cat. The virus enters the new host’s body via the nose and mouth.

Households with fewer than 5 cats eventually spontaneously clear of coronavirus. Households with more than 5 cats virtually never clear of coronavirus.

Seems like the shelter can indeed be the source of the problem.