spc
uniqs
Geekball
join:2004-01-19
UK

Geekball to stoz

to stoz

Re: [Config] Setup Cisco 877 to work with Bt Infinity

No worries Stoz, the 2Wire doesn't do VPN as far as I know so if you need it for that then yes, the 877 is better. Just out of curiosity, why not pick the 871 if it was for Infinity (unless it was one you had laying around)? Firstly, it's cheaper as you don't have the integrated ADSL modem and second it's got a dedicated WAN port which you could run the PPPoE over..

The 877 is designed for ADSL(2+) so didn't need to do anything over 24Mb/s WAN-to-LAN.. We have another one running NAT and that gets about 33 - 34Mb/s on a speed test whereas our 1841s get around 39Mb/s. Obviously, the choice is yours - you have the equipment that will do 30ish Mb/s as it stands or you can get a more expensive model that will handle the extra speed. You only need the VDSL router if you don't want the OpenReach modem as per the 1941 and HWIC-1VDSL thread.

Yeah, I covered the static IP.. It's handled by the "ip address negotiated" command for a single static IP assuming you put in your BT provided username and password rather than a generic "hub" login. If you had "5 static IPs" then you need another VLAN or a Loopback interface with the static IP (and you still need to use the BT username and password I believe) - This is what we have.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Paul
stoz
join:2012-03-13

stoz

Hi Paul,

We checked with an IT support company for a router that would do all we required (after first checking that it met EAL4 certification, which we may require in the future). They assured us that 877 would be fine with VDSL so we went ahead and got it hoping to config it ourselves using SDM. So far I massively prefer using telnet to configure it through the console though!

I didn't realise that it'd be so tricky to get it up and running (well, it's probably fairly straight forward if you're familiar with Cisco, but I'm new to it!) It has been tough finding other people who've done it, and re-creating their success.

Actually the only thing I can't seem to do is get any feedback from the router on where I'm going wrong - logging, debugging etc any idea how I can check why it's not working as currently I just plug it in, hope for the best but I'm literally stumbling in the dark with no idea where it's going wrong.

Many thanks for all your help so far I'll let you know how I get on.
Geekball
join:2004-01-19
UK

Geekball

Remind me not to use that IT support company then! Yes, I (and I'm sure many others) prefer the command line too. SDM has been superseded by Configuration Professional now I think (see »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· dex.html) which is a bit better but still can't do everything you can do on the command line.

For logging, look into syslog - very useful if combined with something like splunk. If you're on telnet/SSH, use the "terminal monitor" command to have the logging pumped to your telnet/SSH session ("term no mon" turns it off again).

On the troubleshooting side, there's a lot of debug commands that will help - there's also a lot of useful info on Cisco's website, samples with verification checks that show you that what you just did worked.

Good luck with it, hopefully that config will at least get you up and running - you'll have to set up PAT against the dialer interface too but there's plenty of info on doing that out there.

Cheers,

Paul

OVERKILL
join:2010-04-05
Peterborough, ON

OVERKILL to stoz

to stoz
said by stoz:

Hi Paul,

We checked with an IT support company for a router that would do all we required (after first checking that it met EAL4 certification, which we may require in the future). They assured us that 877 would be fine with VDSL so we went ahead and got it hoping to config it ourselves using SDM. So far I massively prefer using telnet to configure it through the console though!

I didn't realise that it'd be so tricky to get it up and running (well, it's probably fairly straight forward if you're familiar with Cisco, but I'm new to it!) It has been tough finding other people who've done it, and re-creating their success.

Actually the only thing I can't seem to do is get any feedback from the router on where I'm going wrong - logging, debugging etc any idea how I can check why it's not working as currently I just plug it in, hope for the best but I'm literally stumbling in the dark with no idea where it's going wrong.

Many thanks for all your help so far I'll let you know how I get on.

How long have you had this router? The 877 is EOL:
»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 144.html

(and so is basically its entire obsolete family), so I'm quite surprised somebody recommended it to you. 881, 891 or a 1921/1941 should have been what was pushed your way as far as recommendations go.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

Indeed. It doesn't even support VDSL. If you're going to have to use an external VDSL modem, there are a lot of better options. (a cisco device with native VDSL will not be cheap... 886VA or 887VA approx. $500(US))