Search similar:

uniqs
fox77
join:2001-02-12
Culver City, CA

fox77

[IE] Open Link in Same Browser

Hi:
We are using Internet Explorer 8 and when a webpage is open and we click on a link on that page it opens a new instance of Internet Explorer to display the new page. We would like to open the link in the browser instance that is already open, the one that was/is displaying the link. No new browser.

I have looked around and could not find an answer, but I am sure it is just a click on a radio button of something... at least I hope.

Thanks,
fox7

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

i had the same problem, formatting and re-installing seeemed to fix this

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to fox77

Premium Member

to fox77
Resetting IE will reinstall default configuration. This can be done via the 'Advanced' tab in 'Internet Options'. You will have to change your homepage back to what it is. Favorites will remain intact though its always a good idea to have them backed up regardless.

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba to fox77

MVM

to fox77
Click for full size
If you select Tools\Internet Options....down in Tabs area select Settings, then select "The current tab or Window" at bottom....that should do what You want ?
fox77
Culver City, CA

fox77

Ok, I have done and uninstall and reinstall of IE 8, didn't fix the problem. I have done the radio button 'The current tab or winddow', and that did not fix the issue either.

More suggestions??

I have turned off the add-ons and the problem still was there. Under the Administrator account the problem is not pressent.

fox7

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by fox77:

Under the Administrator account the problem is not pressent.

If I understand you correctly, on one machine if you use the local administrator account, the problem is not present. However, if you login using an account other then the local admin, you have the problem.

A few questions for you:

1) What OS are you running this on?
2) Is the other non-admin account a local account, or is it an account from a domain?
3) Does the problem happen with multiple non-admin accounts, or just select ones?

Knowing that the IE settings and configurations are specific to each user account, that could be why it works for the Admin, and not an account that is not the admin. I ask about the OS and the account type, as there could be a modification that is being set via Group Policy on a domain account that is causing a given setting to be modified in IE. If this was the case, a re-install of IE would also cause that to happen, as GPO would override any local settings.

--Brian
fox77
Culver City, CA

fox77

plencnerb:
Thanks for your interest in our issue.

Windows XP Pro SP3, IE 8.

There is no domain. This is a workgroup situation. No group Policies. By the fact it works Ok when I log-in as admin says to me that the User's registry has a different value than the Admin account where this is control and IE 8 is not corrupt across the machine. There are only the 2 accounts on the machine.

Thanks,
fox7

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to fox77

Premium Member

to fox77
I thought that IE7 was the last version of Internet Explorer that was verified to work correctly on XP.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to Bubba

MVM

to Bubba
Normally this stops if I select the Let Internet Explorer decide how pop-ups should open in the When a pop-up is encountered: section.
JRosenfeld
join:2005-06-06
UK

JRosenfeld to fox77

to fox77
Right click on the link, it should offer option: open in new tab, open in new window,...

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to Msradell

to Msradell
IE8 is the last one available to XP and to work correctly on it.
fox77
Culver City, CA

1 edit

fox77

Click for full size
Hey, thanks for your suggestions and trying to help out. I have fixed the problem.

As I said above with it working under Administrator and not working as the user on the same machine it has to be something in the registry that is loading with the user. So on my machine I went a looking!! I opened registry editor and did a search for Internet Explorer and got a hit in HK Current User. That would follow my thinking that it should possibly be in here. So I started looking at the folders and found one called New Window. So I looked in there, (see attached image) and there isn't much there on my working fine IE 8 machine. I went and looked at the problem machine under the user account in the above location and there was an additional value. I exported it for safety, then deleted it, re-booted the machine and all is well.

fox7

Edit:
Here is the Key/Value I exported and deleted:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\New Windows\Allow]
"www.emdserono.com"=hex: