ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
join:2001-08-02
La Porte, IN

ztmike

Premium Member

Stay away from Verizon

I decided to go with Verizon Wireless and pick up the Samsung Galaxy Nexus after all the PR about Verizon being the best in coverage and reliability..let me tell you that is FAR from the truth. Their service here in Michigan City, IN is by far the WORST even worse than Sprint ..and that's really saying something.

And their coverage maps? Don't EVER rely on them from Verizon. Had my home with coverage and only to find out after I got the service I was in a "dead zone" called up Verizon to complain and got transfered to network department for them to tell me they'll send a tech out in the field to do "tests" and they'll get back with me in a couple days..I get a call a day or two later and basically they told me that I'm in a dead zone and to get service else where, REALLY Verizon!? Once I told them that their coverage map had me in a service zone and told them that is false advertising they had no reply really to that one only to repeat themselves with "get service elsewhere if you don't get good coverage with us."

Thank-god I canceled within the 14 day window..but I still had to pay a $38 restocking fee and was still billed for service that I received in that time.

WORSE. COMPANY. EVER.

Have since went with T-Mobile and couldn't be happier, fastest mobile speeds over all the other major networks (42Mbps in area), free wifi calling anywhere there's wifi and cheaper overall service than any of the others with a good phone, "Galaxy S2."

P.S Verizon's 3G speeds were slower than Sprints also, downtown Michigan City, IN I was lucky to get 4 bars out of 5...a town with a population of close to 50,000.
iFail 5G
join:2011-08-03

iFail 5G

said by ztmike:

I decided to go with Verizon Wireless and pick up the Samsung Galaxy Nexus after all the PR about Verizon being the best in coverage and reliability..let me tell you that is FAR from the truth. Their service here in Michigan City, IN is by far the WORST even worse than Sprint ..and that's really saying something.

And their coverage maps? Don't EVER rely on them from Verizon. Had my home with coverage and only to find out after I got the service I was in a "dead zone" called up Verizon to complain and got transfered to network department for them to tell me they'll send a tech out in the field to do "tests" and they'll get back with me in a couple days..I get a call a day or two later and basically they told me that I'm in a dead zone and to get service else where, REALLY Verizon!? Once I told them that their coverage map had me in a service zone and told them that is false advertising they had no reply really to that one only to repeat themselves with "get service elsewhere if you don't get good coverage with us."

Thank-god I canceled within the 14 day window..but I still had to pay a $38 restocking fee and was still billed for service that I received in that time.

WORSE. COMPANY. EVER.

Have since went with T-Mobile and couldn't be happier, fastest mobile speeds over all the other major networks (42Mbps in area), free wifi calling anywhere there's wifi and cheaper overall service than any of the others with a good phone, "Galaxy S2."

P.S Verizon's 3G speeds were slower than Sprints also, downtown Michigan City, IN I was lucky to get 4 bars out of 5...a town with a population of close to 50,000.

It varies from city to city, and even tower to tower. Verizon has 4G LTE here in the rural south and is faster than the only kind of internet we get which is satellite.

Meanwhile T-Mobile barely has service, and the little service they do have is GPRS which is 20kbps.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

Was it really necessary to quote his entire post for the three sentences that you wrote?

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
That's just your own personal experience in one small geographic area. The majority of the 100 million or so Verizon customers will likely disagree with you.

I travel frequently, mostly through rural areas, and am very rarely outside of a Verizon 3G signal. Almost never outside of a voice signal.
iFail 5G
join:2011-08-03

iFail 5G to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks
said by Crookshanks:

Was it really necessary to quote his entire post for the three sentences that you wrote?

Was it really necessary to reply to a post about a quote?
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to ztmike

to ztmike
Depends on the city, as iFail 5G said.

In Denver, Verizon no longer has the fastest network, from what I've seen. T-Mobile does, for downloads anyway. 10-20 Mbps down, 2.5-3 Mbps up in most of the Denver metro. Verizon has higher upload speeds (around 5 Mbps) but downloads are in the 5-12 Mbps area (as advertised, but not very fast). AT&T is 2-5 Mbps if I remember correctly, and Sprint is 1 Mbps for all intents and purposes (4G is evasive).

In South Florida, I've seen my T-Mobile aircard hit 20 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up. Sprint is 1Mbps, maybe a bit more. Didn't test with Verizon while there last December.

In Fredericksburg, TX, Verizon only has 3G, albeit at 2-2.5 Mbps down, 600-800 kbps up. Sprint is 0.5-2 Mbps down, 350-650 kbps up. AT&T is 1-4 Mbps down (usually 2 Mbps), 1 Mbps up. T-Mobile only has GPRS here.

In nearby Kerrville, Verizon is next to worthless, Sprint has comparable speeds to what they have here, AT&T is comparable to what they are here, T-Mobile is comparable to what they are here...and the local just-turned-on-3G provider has 2-3 Mbps down, 500-800 kbps up, taking the crown for fastest service.

It's all a game of YMMV. I have Sprint because, frankly, I don't want to pay for Verizon at this point and I want at least 3G wherever I happen to be. Sprint delivers on this, so I'm with them.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks
said by Crookshanks:

Yes.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to ztmike

to ztmike
said by ztmike:

Verizon 3Gs speeds are faster than what Sprint offers in my area which is ZERO service. So really fuck off Sprint.

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich to ztmike

to ztmike
I argee with you stay way from Verizon!!! There coverage is a joke.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
Verizon had good coverage when I lived in Iowa (predominently rural) and I moved to Springfield MA (dense urban area) and their coverage was spotty and my house and the Eastfield Mall were in dead zones. They have a store by the Eastfield Mall and they had to install a repeater on the roof of their store to get reception in the store. I jumped ship with them in 2004 (paying an ETF) and went with then Cingular (who had recently went from TDMA to GSM at the time and had bought out the original AT&T wireless). They had better reception but not perfect as they had poor quality handsets (the Cingular phone I had at the time was an LG L1400 which was a downgrade from my VZW LG VX6000, which was nicer). Fast forward to 2011, AT&T is a sinking ship in terms of quality (declining reception, aging infrastructure, and increasing number of dropped calls), I jumped ship with AT&T and went back to Verizon as they have filled in their dead spots, improved their service/coverage, and added iPhone to their lineup. I think I'll stick with Verizon.

My mother refuses to switch her phone to Verizon so now we have two cell phone bills.

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
That's because they cap the rates, but The New iPad's LTE is set to 72Mbps according to advertisements.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

72 Mbps is the entire capacity of a 10x10 LTE system. Kinda like 42 Mbps for DC-HSPA+. They aren't capping the rates (people have hit 30/15 before). You just don't get anywhere near theoretical maximum speeds in practice.