spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jayray2k
join:2012-03-14
Gill, MA

jayray2k

E1000, unplugged, button pushed...no internet, no network

Please help! I moved my router from upstairs to downstairs. Now there is some secret password or something that I have lost. This happened to me at my last apartment, and I ended up getting blackmailed into buying a new router. There was nothing wrong with that one, and there is nothing wrong with this one. I plugged it back in, and nothing! I have wired internet via the router ethernet jacks, but no internet on any of the three laptops in the house, and now my wife and son are both mad at me!

I was trying to figure it out, and pushed the button on top, which probably screwed things up worse than they were. Please help! I have no money for a new router right now!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Jason
jayray2k

jayray2k

Comcast blast internet. Linksys E1000 router. I think it has something to do with the WPA2 or WEP or something? Does that sound familiar?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to jayray2k

MVM

to jayray2k
By rights, just moving the router should not have changed any settings, so it is hard to guess what may have happened. Based on your post, I am guessing that you are not entirely comfortable going in through the router's web page? It may just be easier to re-set this up at this point.

I am going to recommend the easy way to re-set up your router.

1. Reset your router to factory specs by pressing the red reset button in the back for approx 5 seconds.

2. If you have not done so, install Cisco Easy Connect (if you do not have the disk, download it here, make sure you show the right router version) -

»homesupport.cisco.com/en ··· ys/E1000

3. Set up your router, name or re-name your SSID (easy connect will give it a name, but that is easy to change).

4. Again, sticking with the "easy" theme, take a flash drive and use easy connect to create a key to set up your additional computers/laptops.

There are other ways to go about this, but I am guessing that you have a pretty basic set up (no offense meant by that!), and this will work and should be relatively goof proof.

PS. The button on top of the router is the WPS button...just pushing it will not automatically re-connect everything...frankly, I never boither with WPS.

I hope that this helps.
PeteC2

PeteC2 to jayray2k

MVM

to jayray2k
said by jayray2k:

Comcast blast internet. Linksys E1000 router. I think it has something to do with the WPA2 or WEP or something? Does that sound familiar?

WEP/WPA/WPA-2 are the wireless security options, set up by a pass phrase. Again however, I do not see where unplugging, moving and re-plugging in the router would affect whichever pass phrase that was installed.

BTW, do not use WEP...and really, forget about WPA for that matter! You should only be using WPA-2 for your wireless security.
jayray2k
join:2012-03-14
Gill, MA

1 recommendation

jayray2k to PeteC2

to PeteC2
Thank you so much. I'm a little embarrassed that it was so easy, but you saved me from having to buy a new router. The fact that it was so easy makes it that much more insidious that neither Linksys nor Comcast were interested in helping me without charging. At any rate, I really, really, really, appreciate your anonymous help!

Jason

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

Jason, just glad to hear that you've got it back up and running!

You have no idea how many folks assume that their router is broken or at fault when these type of things occur. More perfectly good routers get thrown out that way

I can't really blame Comcast too much, as it is hard for them to take any responsibility for hardware that they do not directly support or service, but yes, how hard would it have been for Linksys to have walked you through this? Gives companies a bad name...and otherwise good products get bad reputations sometimes by having inadequate support.