kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to ztmike

Re: Stay away from Verizon

Depends on the city, as iFail 5G said.

In Denver, Verizon no longer has the fastest network, from what I've seen. T-Mobile does, for downloads anyway. 10-20 Mbps down, 2.5-3 Mbps up in most of the Denver metro. Verizon has higher upload speeds (around 5 Mbps) but downloads are in the 5-12 Mbps area (as advertised, but not very fast). AT&T is 2-5 Mbps if I remember correctly, and Sprint is 1 Mbps for all intents and purposes (4G is evasive).

In South Florida, I've seen my T-Mobile aircard hit 20 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up. Sprint is 1Mbps, maybe a bit more. Didn't test with Verizon while there last December.

In Fredericksburg, TX, Verizon only has 3G, albeit at 2-2.5 Mbps down, 600-800 kbps up. Sprint is 0.5-2 Mbps down, 350-650 kbps up. AT&T is 1-4 Mbps down (usually 2 Mbps), 1 Mbps up. T-Mobile only has GPRS here.

In nearby Kerrville, Verizon is next to worthless, Sprint has comparable speeds to what they have here, AT&T is comparable to what they are here, T-Mobile is comparable to what they are here...and the local just-turned-on-3G provider has 2-3 Mbps down, 500-800 kbps up, taking the crown for fastest service.

It's all a game of YMMV. I have Sprint because, frankly, I don't want to pay for Verizon at this point and I want at least 3G wherever I happen to be. Sprint delivers on this, so I'm with them.

NOCMan
MacChatter
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO
That's because they cap the rates, but The New iPad's LTE is set to 72Mbps according to advertisements.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
72 Mbps is the entire capacity of a 10x10 LTE system. Kinda like 42 Mbps for DC-HSPA+. They aren't capping the rates (people have hit 30/15 before). You just don't get anywhere near theoretical maximum speeds in practice.