Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bulletsam

join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

[IL] Problem: latency and speeds... again.

20/2 package
Motorola SB5101U Modem
Netgear N300 Router/wired connections to comp. and PS3.

The speed issues started about 3 weeks ago, the latency issue has never been great. MediacomChad set up a tech visit last Friday, tech called late saying he was running behind, asked what was going on, I explained issues and when it started. He said they made changes at headend about that time, and nothing could be done till next Friday, so he never came to house.

Can someone look at these and maybe help point me in the right direction, please? pics of results --> »imgur.com/a/zTnAG

Thank you.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
Signals are within spec, I am surprised they didn't give you a D3 modem for your service package, mediacom must be different from most of the other major ISPs.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:118
reply to bulletsam
I currently have your speed issue escalated to area management. I will keeping in touch with them until I get good information regarding the problem. I hope that we can get this resolved for you asap.

bulletsam

Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to CptGemini
The ping to router, shouldn't all those be 1ms? also, the timeout on tracert to google and failed DCHP errors from modem?

What could be the cause of those?

...and MediacomChad I hope so. We just had this cleared up about 6-7 months ago.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
I will keep on this until it is resolved.

bulletsam

Charleston, IL
Thank you, again.

bulletsam

Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to bulletsam

Well, I don't like this much. Router... again, or?

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Quite possibly. I can do a 3 day voice session to scrub for any small signal fluctuations that we are not seeing on our graphs if you would like.

bulletsam

Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
Ok, thanks.

I'm trying to rule out this router, I really don't want to deal with getting Netgear to replace this thing. Damn thing is only 7 months old... but has lifetime warranty.

I've heard dealing with them can be a nightmare.

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by bulletsam:

Ok, thanks.

I'm trying to rule out this router, I really don't want to deal with getting Netgear to replace this thing. Damn thing is only 7 months old... but has lifetime warranty.

I've heard dealing with them can be a nightmare.

If you want to rule it out then plug your pc directly into the modem. Reset the modem then repeat what you did and post the results.

bulletsam

Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
That was the plan this morning.

This makes 2, Netgear routers in the last 15 months that have had this same issue. I'll never buy another one.

Anyone got any suggestions for a good one, maybe something that I could use DD-WRT on? I've read good things about using it.

reefcrazed

join:2012-03-03
Mobile, AL
I am using a Linsys E3000 but just about any E series can use DD-WRT.

bulletsam

Charleston, IL
Found out there is a build on DD-WRT forum available for my Netgear WNR2000v3 router but I'm not sure how to go about installing it. I've tried per the instructions, but files wont open.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Keep me posted if you notice anything with the router bypassed.

bulletsam

Charleston, IL
I did early this morning when replying to the pm you sent.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Thank you for the heads up. How are the speeds looking at the moment?

bulletsam

Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
They should be much better. I will email this situation back up to see where local management wants to go from here. I will keep you posted as to when I hear back.

bulletsam

Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit
reply to bulletsam
Thank you to MediacomChad, local management, Don, and the tech/line guys for all the help in getting my internet service back where it once was.

I did however upgrade to the D3 Motorola SB6121 modem from my SB5101U which was working fine, receiving 18.50Mbps down and 1.87Mbps up after their fixes. After installing the SB6121 I get this now...

Much better. I'm am curious though as to why it's only bonding download signals and not upload. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Juneau

@mchsi.com

bulletsam

Charleston, IL
Thank you, Juneau.