All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

neuromancer1
join:2007-01-22
York, ON

neuromancer1 to InvalidError

to InvalidError

Re: A great big FU BELL!!! FORCE TO UPGRADE...

said by InvalidError:

said by neuromancer1:

How can you possibly live with 6MBPS?

6Mbps (5Mbps usable) is perfectly adequate for everything I need to do online... fast enough for all HD streaming sites I know of and fast enough to get my everyday downloads done by the time I come back from being AFK doing other stuff that needs to be done (such as cooking/eating) anyhow.

Anything under 10-12MBPS would always be buffering with HD streaming. No idea how you mangage to put up with the constant buffering of the stream. 6MBPS is anything but highspeed no matter how much Bhell would like Canada to believe it. I guess the speed would be ok for checking your e-mail and surfing some but I would never go back to 6MBPS after being on 18MBPS.

fluffy
@teksavvy.com

fluffy

Anon

nah. 6Mbps is perfectly fine. i have a 24Mbps link now and i can rarely see the difference in performance for real time stuff.
for multiple downloads obviously its a lot faster but for everything else 6 meg connections are ok.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to neuromancer1

to neuromancer1
said by neuromancer1:

Anything under 10-12MBPS would always be buffering with HD streaming. No idea how you mangage to put up with the constant buffering of the stream.

With 5Mbps sync (4Mbps usable) I had some buffering on some sites but haven't seen any buffering anywhere since the speed bump to 6Mbps sync since nowhere I usually go streams at more than 4.5Mbps.

neuromancer1
York, ON

neuromancer1 to fluffy

to fluffy
said by fluffy :

nah. 6Mbps is perfectly fine. i have a 24Mbps link now and i can rarely see the difference in performance for real time stuff.
for multiple downloads obviously its a lot faster but for everything else 6 meg connections are ok.

I'll pass I'm never going back to 6Mbps it seems like 56K modem speeds now to me now.
BikeHelmet
join:2010-04-15

BikeHelmet to neuromancer1

to neuromancer1
said by neuromancer1:

Anything under 10-12MBPS would always be buffering with HD streaming. No idea how you mangage to put up with the constant buffering of the stream. 6MBPS is anything but highspeed no matter how much Bhell would like Canada to believe it. I guess the speed would be ok for checking your e-mail and surfing some but I would never go back to 6MBPS after being on 18MBPS.

6mbit with adequate QOS is fine. It can't stream 1080p very well, but 720p works perfect. I usually stream Youtube 720p - my Tomato bandwidth graph reports 300-500KB/sec on average.

With QOS working properly I can stream two 720p videos without either buffering - but that's on a 7040/640 sync rate. Also, for whatever reason single connections don't use up all of my connection's bandwidth, so while 2x720p is doable, 1x1080p is not without buffering.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to neuromancer1

to neuromancer1
said by neuromancer1:

said by InvalidError:

said by neuromancer1:

6Mbps (5Mbps usable) is perfectly adequate for everything I need to do online... fast enough for all HD streaming sites I know of and fast enough to get my everyday downloads done by the time I come back from being AFK doing other stuff that needs to be done (such as cooking/eating) anyhow.

This is not accurate.

6mbps @ 5mbps pppoe is enough for 720p youtube, and almost enough for 1080p. Although of course, it has to be the only thing you're doing at the same time.

Netflix can also stream to very high quality on a 6mbit @5mbit pppoe link (albeit saturating the entire connection in the process)

the issue with 5/6mbps is inconvienience of micromanging torents /Qos and/or multiple users in the house
shawn_on_ca
join:2012-03-12
Markham, ON

shawn_on_ca to neuromancer1

to neuromancer1
said by neuromancer1:

said by InvalidError:

said by neuromancer1:

I agree that after being on 18Mbps, it would be hard to go back to 6Mbps. But that's like with anything in life. Once you get used to more, its hard to do with a little bit less. That said, I find 6Mbps completely adequate for anything I do online. Its certainly enough for browsing; its also enough for streaming HD from youtube, netflix. Granted P2P downloads take longer but with those you are at the mercy of seeds anyway. It really doesn't matter if a fille takes 4 hrs as opposed to 1hr as long as its not certain when the download will complete.
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes to neuromancer1

to neuromancer1
said by neuromancer1:

A 6 megabps DSL line (netting 4.98 megabps on Speedtest.net) works fine for all Youtube videos up to and including 720p. 1080p is OK if the video is encoded in the newer, more efficient MPEG4 format. The older MPEG2 format is less efficient, resulting in larger files that require faster download, and buffering on my connection. I believe that Flash uses h264, which is also very efficient, and handles 1920x1080 easily. My onboard Intel GPU (4 1/2 year old Dell) is the limit, not my DSL line.

neuromancer1
York, ON

neuromancer1

said by Walter Dnes:

said by neuromancer1:

A 6 megabps DSL line (netting 4.98 megabps on Speedtest.net) works fine for all Youtube videos up to and including 720p. 1080p is OK if the video is encoded in the newer, more efficient MPEG4 format. The older MPEG2 format is less efficient, resulting in larger files that require faster download, and buffering on my connection. I believe that Flash uses h264, which is also very efficient, and handles 1920x1080 easily. My onboard Intel GPU (4 1/2 year old Dell) is the limit, not my DSL line.

I would never consider a You Tube stream quality when did You Tube HD become quality? I'm talking about Netflix HD movie at 1080p. You Tube videos are just crap and either way 6MBPS is the new 56K at least to me. As I said it might be enough for you guys that cannot higher speeds but I would never return to the speeds. There anything but highspeed unless you live in 2003-2004. It's time for us to get with the times other counties run 100MBPS.
jerrycan1
join:2010-11-05
Waterloo, ON

jerrycan1 to neuromancer1

to neuromancer1
6mbps is more than fast enough for me. I've never seen any of the stuff I stream stutter, and the TV and movies I watched I download to my server I just watch whenever I want to.