share rss forum feed

CKizer
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Tijeras, NM
kudos:2
reply to Lurch77

Re: Chevrolet with a Quarter Million Miles

My 1997 K1500 Z71 with 235K has passed on.

Lost the pinion bearing yesterday so I took it to the local Toyota dealer and traded it in on a new Tacoma.

Not sure how I feel about it yet...

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
said by CKizer:

My 1997 K1500 Z71 with 235K has passed on.

Lost the pinion bearing yesterday so I took it to the local Toyota dealer and traded it in on a new Tacoma.

Ouch, you could have gone to a salvage yard/junk yard and bought a low mileage used rear end assembly. Then you could have swapped it out for under $100.00 dollars if you did the labor, or add around $150.00 more to pay a shop to replace the rear-end assembly (that you supplied from the salvage yard) for you.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

CKizer
Premium
Tijeras, NM
said by Doctor Olds:

Ouch, you could have gone to a salvage yard/junk yard and bought a low mileage used rear end assembly. Then you could have swapped it out for under $100.00...

Yes, I could have. But that would have done nothing for everything else failing/wearing out on the truck. At some point it's time to stop painting the Titanic and move on to something more reliable and fuel efficient.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
said by CKizer:

said by Doctor Olds:

Ouch, you could have gone to a salvage yard/junk yard and bought a low mileage used rear end assembly. Then you could have swapped it out for under $100.00...

Yes, I could have. But that would have done nothing for everything else failing/wearing out on the truck. At some point it's time to stop painting the Titanic and move on to something more reliable and fuel efficient.

All true, You are the only one that can make the final decision. Enjoy your new ride.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

CKizer
Premium
Tijeras, NM
said by Doctor Olds:

Enjoy your new ride.

I sure I will, but today I really miss the old girl. 15 years is my longest lasting relationship.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Lurch77
Congrats...my last Chevy had 228,000 miles (366,000KM) before I sold it -- it was still strong.

Change oil. Don't drive the snot out of them. No issues.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

lostinms
Moo

join:2001-11-29
Grenada, MS
reply to Lurch77
I know the 75 to 78 Pontiac Grand Prix with the 400 engine lasted a really long time. My grandfather had one and the only part he ever replace on it was the water pump which was known to go out on those engines. He don't have that car cause some fool hit it and total it. It was a very nice car.

I also had a 76 Pontiac Grand Prix but it had the 350 in it and had to be rebuild cause the guy I bought it from didn't take care of it. I wish I still had it but it had a relationship with a tree.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to Lurch77
I still firmly believe it's all about the luck of the draw. I have no brand loyalty. I've had each of the big 3 for business use. I've owned a lot of vehicles. Some of them I never drove myself, I just paid the bills.
I've gotten work horses and I've also gotten mangy dogs. One thing I've noticed - the most beat up ugliest vehicle seems to run the longest.
One thing I have learned is that I need "1 ton" vehicles (F350SD, C/K3500HD, E350SD, etc...). The 1/2 ton trucks don't even stand a chance. I can f__k one of those up in about 2 years.
I have have only seen one foreign offering able to handle a service business - the Sprinter. I think all vans are ass ugly. The Sprinter is the king of ass ugly. But, vans are great for working out of. It's too bad the Sprinters are so overpriced.

There have been times when I say I'll never buy a (insert brand here) again, but I always cool off after 5-6 years.
The worst work vehicle I ever owned was a Ford. The best work vehicle I ever owned was a Ford - so there you go.
--
...because I care.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
The new Nissan work vans look promising. Lots of features the worker will like, rugged looking build specs, and built in the USA. The full size Ford Transit that will replace the Econoline next year is built overseas.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

1 edit
I hope they don't kill the Econoline. I've have a good run of luck lately.

I just checked out the specs (and pictures) of the Nissan. I'm not impressed with either. Vans are all pretty ugly, but I think that one just bumped the Sprinter out of 1st place in the non-beauty pageant.
Edit: I see they are killing the Econoline. The heavy duty transit will be made in Kansas City. They are just as ugly, if not uglier than than the Nissan. WTF is Ford thinking? Bad move on their part.
I guess that leaves GM as the only "real" HD full size van available.

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI
When it comes to my work vans, I just want function. I couldn't care less about the looks, really. It could look like a space ship on wheels, but if it makes my job easier, I'm all for it. Oh, and it needs to be comfortable to drive, seeing as my job requires a lot of travel to my customers.

But if you want a pretty van, maybe you can talk Ford into bringing the Transit Sport to the 'States. Special paint, alloy wheels, dual exhaust, and a 2.2l turbo diesel. »www.autoblog.com/2011/10/03/ford···britain/

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
It reminds of a Scion. Bleh. It looks like ladders would be a PITA too. I'd have to spend $1500 for drop racks.
--
...because I care.

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI
I look at it from a function stand point. I dislike the new Ford's sliding doors. I had storage drawers mounted on my van's swing out doors. They hold electrical connectors, screws, and other small things. Can't do that with sliders.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Sliders don't work for me either. I had a Safari and two Express's with sliders, and they gave me problems (wore out).
--
...because I care.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to lostinms
said by lostinms:

I know the 75 to 78 Pontiac Grand Prix with the 400 engine lasted a really long time. My grandfather had one and the only part he ever replace on it w

I have a Triple Black 1974 GP Model J. It has a 400 bored .030 over and built right using Ram Air III Heads. Wish it was a SJ though, but it is the last year GM had Points Ignition, Dual Exhausts with no Catalytic Converters, Round Headlights, and used Leaded Fuel.

--

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

It looks like ladders would be a PITA too. I'd have to spend $1500 for drop racks.

Lurch wouldn't have to.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV

1 recommendation

reply to Lurch77
Click for full size
My spare 1999 Chevy Silverado has over 225,00 miles on it. No major work. Best truck I have ever owned.

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6
said by Jackarino:

My spare 1999 Chevy Silverado has over 225,00 miles on it. No major work. Best truck I have ever owned.

Which engine does it have?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
Vortec 4800 (4.8 L) V8

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

We had a '95 Taurus. Transmission problems started at 120,000, so we traded it in before it got too bad. Other than that it was a good car.

My aunt has a 95 taurus LX and her transmission issues started around 93K or so.. the car has 96K now.. But so far she's had this done to the car..

Replacement transmission
engine reseal
hose replacement

and a few other things I can't remember but I do know it's someplace around $4.5K that's been spent in total repairs..

now the car the shift level it has a lot of play in it.. say like you want to go to reverse you have to kinda put it between P & R to get it to go backwards.. Or if you have the car in drive and move the shifter you can move it so the indicator shows between N & D but it's still in drive.

In some cases when you think you have it in park it's not and the car will roll forward.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!