join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to Edrick

Premium Member

to Edrick

Re: Analog Voice Gateways

I like my AT&T, but I'll admit, it's Verizon who is always up no matter what happens. They voluntarily have 8 hours of battery backup plus many hours of diesel fuel at every cell site that it's possible. Verizon basically never goes down during power disruptions. I wish AT&T would take a cue and do the same, or out-do Verizon.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by BiggA:

I like my AT&T, but I'll admit, it's Verizon who is always up no matter what happens. They voluntarily have 8 hours of battery backup plus many hours of diesel fuel at every cell site that it's possible. Verizon basically never goes down during power disruptions. I wish AT&T would take a cue and do the same, or out-do Verizon.

Verizon goes out just as often as AT&T does during an emergency. It's not the power that's the issue, it's the amount of traffic. There's a reason that during 9/11, emergency communications ground to a halt, and that during Katrina, the Louisiana government used land-lines and Sat Phones.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Isn't there priority access for government, aid, and emergency workers?

I am just referencing general, non-emergency power outages. Verizon is rock solid, AT&T goes on the fritz within a few minutes.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

1 recommendation

sk1939

Premium Member

There should be, but not on mobile communications.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA
On paper, yes. Telco's are well known for cutting corners and just paying the fines later. (also, there's only so much protected capacity for 911; it can still be swamped.)
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
There actually is.

I'm not comparing cabinet and bunker sites, just saying that Verizon has more backup than anyone else.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

said by BiggA:

There actually is.

On paper like cramer said, just not usually in practice.