Comcast Makes Billing Mistake & Charges Its Customers $25 To Fix It
The Consumerist - March 15, 2012
»consumerist.com/2012/03/comcast-···-it.html

yhp

join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA

Re: $1.99 FEE to PAY BILL AT LOCAL COMCAST OFFICE

From the article:

I noticed that my Comcast bill this month was about $25 more than usual. Upon reading the billing details, I saw a strange $25 "return item" fee. I called, and the Comcast billing representative explained that they had accidentally double-billed ALL customers who use e-billing.

I heard a woman complaining on the elevator at work today that "the cable company" (I didn't ask) charged her account twice. Shoulda guessed who it was.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5
reply to telcodad

Comcast is now blaming Wells Fargo for the billing errors:

Comcast blames billing mistake on Wells Fargo
FierceCable - March 16, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/comcas···12-03-16

"Comcast is blaming Wells Fargo Bank for accidentally double billing Xfinity subscribers in March, and then charging customers $25 fees for correcting the mistake. The nation's largest MSO apologized to subscribers last night via Twitter, and it also pushed Wells Fargo to issue its own apology.

"Although the amount due on your March billing statement is correct, your statement may also reflect a duplicate payment, a returned check fee, and the corresponding reversals of the duplicate payment and returned check fee. These entries resulted from incorrect information Wells Fargo provided to Comcast. Wells Fargo wants you to know Comcast did not cause this error," the bank wrote in statements that were sent to Comcast customers."

RalphKramden

join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

1 recommendation

said by telcodad:

Comcast is now blaming Wells Fargo for the billing errors:

Comcast blames billing mistake on Wells Fargo
FierceCable - March 16, 2012

"Wells Fargo wants you to know Comcast did not cause this error," the bank wrote in statements that were sent to Comcast customers."

Headline seems a little misleading. Sounds like Wells Fargo is taking responsibility.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to telcodad

duplicate billing

also on Consumerist...

»wellsoffice.wellsfargo.com/ceo_p···2012.pdf

Dear Comcast Customer,

Wells Fargo Bank provides payment processing services to Comcast. We are writing to apologize for potentially
confusing information appearing on your March billing statement from Comcast.

Although the amount due on your March billing statement is correct, your statement may also reflect a duplicate payment, a returned check fee, and the corresponding reversals of the duplicate payment and returned check fee. These entries resulted from incorrect information Wells Fargo provided to Comcast.

Wells Fargo wants you to know Comcast did not cause this error. Wells Fargo is working with Comcast to ensure this doesn't happen again.

We sincerely apologize for our error and any inconvenience it may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Wells Fargo Bank

yhp

join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA
reply to RalphKramden

Headline seems a little misleading. Sounds like Wells Fargo is taking responsibility.

And unless Comcast does the right thing and goes forward with a bank that doesn't treat cable customers like lowly homeowners, or just "take responsibility" with a flurry of press releases and say "No harm, no foul.", they're just as responsible.

Different strokes for different folks, but IMHO anybody who just opens their cash-stash or credit card for monthly withdrawal-at-will by either of these scummy companies is just asking for it. Hope they didn't suffer any bounced checks for their trouble.

TD Nickell
Premium
join:2010-07-27
Federal Way, WA
reply to telcodad

Re: [Bill] Customer charged to fix Comcast's error

This is one reason i always pay my bill by mail.

RalphKramden

join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA
reply to yhp

Different strokes for different folks, but IMHO anybody who just opens their cash-stash or credit card for monthly withdrawal-at-will by either of these scummy companies is just asking for it. Hope they didn't suffer any bounced checks for their trouble.

While I can't agree with the "scummy" assessment, I do agree with you about auto-pay. I was a victim of an auto-pay error years ago and have never gone near it since. The error was by a credit union and I'm sure it was not malicious but it caused cost me a lot of time and trouble to correct.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to telcodad

(topic move) Comcast billing issue on the Consumerist site

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »[Bill] Comcast billing issue on the Consumerist site