how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ripperjack

join:2012-01-12
Fredericksburg, TX

Is there ANYTHING to look forward to?

Well, been at my "out in the middle of the broadband wasteland" now, about 5 minutes drive east of Fredericksburg, for just on 3 years now and I don't see ANYTHING being available to me, aside from the spotty Virgin Broadband2Go 3G that I'm currently using, in the future.

Does anybody know of ANYTHING, that might be deployed within my area, within my lifetime?

Am I cursed with "rural" (aka. Crap!) broadband for the rest of my life?

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:2

There's a cost to living in a beautiful area like that.

How close are you to Stonewall?

Ripperjack

join:2012-01-12
Fredericksburg, TX

The thing is, I shouldn't have to pay with where I live, with NO access to broadband. Within the city limits, there IS good broadband access, with TWC, Verizon and Windstream all represented. In fact the gym where I am a member, on the east side of town, half a mile inside the city limits, has kick-arse Internet. I can link into their unsecured wireless when visiting the gym, and download at 1.3 Mb/Sec. Which I've often had to do with some of my recent Steam game purchases.

However, on the other side of the city limits, the Internet stops DEAD! It's like stepping from a lush rain forest, right into the middle of a barren wasteland.

Where I live, I have direct line of sight into town, I'm little more than 5 miles away from the city limits, about 2 miles from Highway 290, in a pretty large subdivision of houses, on the east side of Fredericksburg. So despite what everybody is saying I'm NOT out in the sticks... I can SEE the town out my back porch FFS!

Kiwi
Premium
join:2003-05-26
USA/MidWest
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

It is a very nice place, given the population, that's not going to help with rural broadband upgrades. Upside, there does not appear to be too much going on that looks like a problem there -To live.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredericksburg,_Texas

Cheers