Search similar:

uniqs

Hbk5585
@broadviewnet.net

Hbk5585

Anon

Upconverting 1080i to 1080p

Hi,

I know channels only display in either 720p or 1080i, but is there a way to have the box up-convert it to 1080p if you have a 1080p TV? Currently, I only see the highest format is 1080i, so I was just curious...Thanks!
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Nope.

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards to Hbk5585

to Hbk5585
As was said, nope. Your TV (if it is native 1080p) will upconvert 1080i to 1080p.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to Hbk5585

Premium Member

to Hbk5585
Most stations don't broadcast in 1080P just yet
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper to keyboards

to keyboards
said by keyboards:

Your TV (if it is native 1080p) will upconvert 1080i to 1080p.

Perhaps. But you really want an external deinterlacer. If you're on a budget you can get the well-regarded Lumagen Radiance Mini for around $1,500.

kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to WK2

to WK2
said by WK2:

They will never broadcast in 1080P unless cable, etc. figures out something to do to increase bandwidth exponentially.

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards to blue_trooper

to blue_trooper
said by blue_trooper:

said by keyboards:

Your TV (if it is native 1080p) will upconvert 1080i to 1080p.

Perhaps. But you really want an external deinterlacer. If you're on a budget you can get the well-regarded Lumagen Radiance Mini for around $1,500.

Glad you think $1,500 is "budget" priced Probably more than many pay for the whole set these days
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn to Hbk5585

Premium Member

to Hbk5585
You are not missing anything by using 1080i. Just about every TV made these days will deinterlace 1080i into 1080p perfectly.

Put simply, don't worry about it.
UnnDunn

2 edits

UnnDunn to kes601

Premium Member

to kes601
said by kes601:

said by WK2:

They will never broadcast in 1080P unless cable, etc. figures out something to do to increase bandwidth exponentially.

Only if they want to do 1080p at 60 frames per second. And there is very little content out there even produced in that format. Maybe some sports, but that's it.

The bandwidth requirement for 1080p at 30 frames per second, however, is actually slightly lower than that of 1080i (it's more efficient to compress a whole 1920x1080 frame 30 times a second than it is to compress 1920x960 frames 60 times a second.) That's how companies like DirecTV are able to advertise and deliver 1080p on VOD content.

The only reason broadcasters don't switch to 1080p is because 1080i has more compatibility with legacy equipment; there are a lot of cable boxes and TVs out there--including FiOS boxes--that don't support 1080p. And there is no real cost (bandwidth or otherwise) to using 1080i, so there's a bit of "if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it" inertia going on as well. Which I fully agree with.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by UnnDunn:

there are a lot of cable boxes and TVs out there--including FiOS boxes--that don't support 1080p.

I believe the 7232's do support 1080p

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Yes, the Moto 7000-series and the Cisco's support 1080p.
Steve3
join:2010-01-28
Springfield, NJ

Steve3 to matcarl

to matcarl
Check out an Edge by DVDO. It is an upconverter, and it costs around $500.00. I have everything run thru it, and I get 1080p, because my tv is 1080p. It will make SD look better as well. It was worth it, because I get a cleaner, crisper picture.

»www.dvdo.com/EDGE.aspx

I hope that may help you.
UnnDunn
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn to nycdave

Premium Member

to nycdave
But the 6-series do not, and there are a bunch of them out there.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by UnnDunn:

But the 6-series do not, and there are a bunch of them out there.

that's not the point, you said none of them do
UnnDunn
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn

Premium Member

Actually no, I didn't say that. You implied that.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to UnnDunn

Premium Member

to UnnDunn
said by UnnDunn:

You are not missing anything by using 1080i. Just about every TV made these days will deinterlace 1080i into 1080p perfectly.

Just the opposite. Most TVs don't deinterlace "perfectly". They do a much better job than years ago but they still aren't perfect. Not as good as some of the external scalers/deinterlacers. I've been using external scalers/deinterlacers for ten years now. And I don't intend to stop anytime soon, since what's provided in the TVs and receivers are still typically inferior or has less user options than an external device.

Tarheel72
join:2005-12-18
Plano, TX

Tarheel72 to Hbk5585

to Hbk5585
You do realize the probably 90% of Americans watching TV, even FiOS, have no idea what 1080i or 1080p is and, even if they have heard of it, have no idea what the difference is between the two. Most cannot tell any difference between 720p, 1080i or 1080p, even on large format sets above 60". Their setups are still set to factory defaults in most cases. The small number of people who post to forums such as this do not represent the vast majority of TV consumers. To them, HD is HD. They know a BluRay is a HD dvd, but nothing more than that. And TV shows are broadcast in HD or not. Its that simple to them.

Look at it another way. If you are listening to your TV through the TV speakers, i am pretty sure you are not that concerned about 1080i versus 1080p. I see very little incentive for broadcasters to transmit in 1080p to the masses as long as the hardware can upconvert to a level that is more than acceptable to 90% of the population.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Your number is off - it will be closer to 98% of folks can't tell the difference....
UnnDunn
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

UnnDunn to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

said by UnnDunn:

Just the opposite. Most TVs don't deinterlace "perfectly". They do a much better job than years ago but they still aren't perfect. Not as good as some of the external scalers/deinterlacers. I've been using external scalers/deinterlacers for ten years now. And I don't intend to stop anytime soon, since what's provided in the TVs and receivers are still typically inferior or has less user options than an external device.

That's true if we're talking about deinterlacing from 480i into 1080p where the source material was produced in the interlaced format (ie. old SD TV shows produced and shot in analog formats.)

When we're talking about material produced in 30 fps 1080 progressive format (which is most TV these days) and then interlaced solely for broadcast, your TV really has to be retarded to do anything less than a perfect deinterlace.

That said, deinterlacing is just one small piece of the video-processing puzzle, and an expensive external scaler will provide a whole host of other video processing benefits over the internal video processor on an average TV. But 1080i to 1080p deinterlacing is not one of those benefits.

MeatChicken
join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ

MeatChicken to Hbk5585

to Hbk5585
Your TV already does this upconversion to display the image on your screen ( if you have a 1080 Plasma or LCD) ...

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

1 edit

aaronwt to UnnDunn

Premium Member

to UnnDunn
said by UnnDunn:

said by aaronwt:

said by UnnDunn:

That's true if we're talking about deinterlacing from 480i into 1080p where the source material was produced in the interlaced format (ie. old SD TV shows produced and shot in analog formats.)

When we're talking about material produced in 30 fps 1080 progressive format (which is most TV these days) and then interlaced solely for broadcast, your TV really has to be retarded to do anything less than a perfect deinterlace.

That said, deinterlacing is just one small piece of the video-processing puzzle, and an expensive external scaler will provide a whole host of other video processing benefits over the internal video processor on an average TV. But 1080i to 1080p deinterlacing is not one of those benefits.

I've seen plenty of TVs do some sloppy jobs with deinterlacing CBS, and NBC broadcasts. More often than not, I've seen issues that I don't see when running through my DVDO DUO. The most recent sets I've seen were a couple of sonys, an LG, and a samsung that were lacking in the deinterlacing department with those two networks.
I'm not saying it's terrible,(they have come a long ways over the last few years), but you can see issues peridoically.

joe01880
join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

joe01880 to Hbk5585

to Hbk5585
Food for thought...
»www.hometheaterhifi.com/ ··· ned.html

Celticpride
@verizon.net

Celticpride

Anon

Just wait until ultra hd comes come 4k to 8k at least 4times clearer than 1080! Word is directv is already planning for this in the future,probably 5to 10years from now.