TuxRaiderPen
A Warm Embrace
join:2009-06-02
Outer Rim

TuxRaiderPen

Anonymous OS...

Ooooohhhh... headline grabbing...

»www.bbc.co.uk/news/techn ··· 17381214

Anonymous (or at least someone with the notion) - released a version of GNU/Linux for... well... who knows? "Security Testing"???

In many ways, he said, it was a pale imitation of a version of Linux known as Back Track that also comes with many security tools already installed.

and

Soon after the operating system became available, the AnonOps account on Twitter posted a message saying it was fake and "wrapped in trojans".

Meh... more fodder for those who want to link Open Source with "virii" or something malicious.

Sourceforge response link: »sourceforge.net/blog/ano ··· esponse/

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

The part I got a good laugh out of in that article.

Graham Cluley, senior researcher at hi-tech security firm Sophos, wondered who would be tempted to use it.

"Who would want to put their trust in a piece of unknown software written by unknown people on a webpage that they don't know is safe or not?" he asked.

My first though was Windows users but that even spreads out to iOS and Android where code review isn't a requirement for acceptance into their app markets.

The fact that it' said by one of the big boys in the Windows security software market that produces software to protect people who do exactly what is said makes it even more humorous.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to TuxRaiderPen

Premium Member

to TuxRaiderPen
I was going to post this earlier, but changed my mind. I didn't think it "fit" here.

I think it would be interesting to load up on a box that wasn't on my network, and had no information about me on it.

I read about another version that supposedly lets you surf anon on the web. It also deletes all browser and password history.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to firephoto

to firephoto
said by firephoto:

Graham Cluley, senior researcher at hi-tech security firm Sophos, wondered who would be tempted to use it.

"Who would want to put their trust in a piece of unknown software written by unknown people on a webpage that they don't know is safe or not?" he asked.

My first though was Windows users

You cracked me up.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I read about another version that supposedly lets you surf anon on the web. It also deletes all browser and password history.

So it loads Chromium in Icognito with tor? Not very novel.

FF4me
@verizon.net

FF4me to firephoto

Anon

to firephoto
said by firephoto:

My first though was Windows users

... as was my second and third thoughts.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo
said by Maxo:

said by Snakeoil:

The anonymous-OS is just a Black Track altered distro with a few added password crackers and SQL injectors. Nothing more, so far, has been found (publicly announced, at least). Black Track is Ubuntu based.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by markofmayhem:

said by Maxo:

said by Snakeoil:

The anonymous-OS is just a Black Track altered distro with a few added password crackers and SQL injectors. Nothing more, so far, has been found (publicly announced, at least). Black Track is Ubuntu based.

Someone on my twitter feed reported, that it was straight Ubuntu with some "audit tools" added. The tweeter was implying that Back Track would have been a better choice than what was packaged as Anonymous OS

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to TuxRaiderPen

to TuxRaiderPen
ArsTechnica played with it.
quote:
Other than the tools, there's nothing particularly different in Anonymous-OS from the usual poorly configured Ubuntu installation. There are a few surface changes, including a change in the system configuration that makes the OS version appear as Anonymous-OS in the Ubuntu System Monitor App. It's no wonder Anonymous members are calling this a fake—if it isn't, it's an embarrassment.

There are a few questionable objects in it so I wouldn't be downloading it and playing with it on any machine you're not willing to reformat later.