join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

[Equipment] Help selecting a Verizon Modem?

I am considering upgrading my Verizon wireless data plan to 4G. I now have a USB760 modem and was wondering which of the two 4G USB modems currently available is the best performer? Specifically the Pantech UML290 or the Novatel USB 551L? I also wonder which modem consumes more power? Has any one reading this thread had any issues with either of these Verizon 4G Modems? Have any of you transferred your SIM card between two different modems or a modems and a hot spot and was there any problems? Thanks

dmc271

join:2008-09-02
Stillwater, OK

I recommend the UML290. It's supported by more routers (should you decide to go that route, which I highly recommend), and it has two antenna ports to support MIMO via two antennas. Don't know about power consumption.

I haven't swapped SIMs yet, but I've read others having success doing this. I actually asked VZW support about this recently. They said it's no problem to swap between two USB modems or between two phones. The guy didn't know what would happen if I swapped the SIM between a phone and USB modem--but, others have reported success with this as well.

Cheers,

Alphasite

join:2005-07-27
Plano, TX

I have swapped the SIM from my Thunderbolt to both a UML290 and a SCH-LC11 without any issues.

Mr Matt

Eustis, FL

Alphasite, did you purchase either modem and if so where did you purchase it from? I see that ebay has both models listed but I wonder how reliable the sellers are? Thanks

Vince_C

join:2007-03-30
Columbia, LA

I initially purchased my UML290 from eBunk and it worked fine for quite a while.

It began having an odd problem, and I received a free replacement after a few calls to technical support. I simply removed the sim and inserted it into the new modem and it works fine. No activation necessary.

As for eBunk, just be vigilant before the purchase. Review the seller's information. They should have at least 98% positive feedback IMO. As I said, be vigilant in seller screening and you should have no problems.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Mr Matt

So, wait a minute.

Are you telling me that if I take the SIM out of my unlimited T'bolt and stick it into a 4G "modem" I'll have unlimited data on said "modem"?

I'd love to upgrade my unlimited 3G card to 4G. But I won't settle for anything less than unlimited. And while I could tether to my T'bolt, it kinda sucks at maintaining a solid 4G signal at work, where I use it the most. Even though the tower is across the street and I get 4 bars of signal.

Mr Matt

Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to Vince_C

Vince_C Please report if you begin having problems again. There are two classes of modems sold on ebay. Subsidized modems that have not been activated on the Verizon network and those that have and the contract has expired. Verizon expected those modems listed as new and never used, to be activated by Verizon and the purchaser to sign a contract. If a subsidized modem is used by a customer, without signing a contract with a SIM from another device, it is possible that Verizon will take the same action as they did with customers of a voice wireless MVNO using the Verizon network.

The MVNO in question only offered poor quality refurbished handsets. Their customers found they could buy new Verizon Impulse handsets, which Verizon expected to be registered by the customer on the Verizon prepaid network, and have the MVNO register the handsets under the MVNO's prepaid code. Eventually Verizon found out and set out a drag net deactivating Impulse handsets that were not registered by Verizon on the Impulse network. I wonder if enough subsidized modems are purchased for use with an existing SIM, will Verizon deactivate the modem or SIM!

Alphasite

Plano, TX
reply to Mr Matt

said by Mr Matt:

Alphasite, did you purchase either modem and if so where did you purchase it from? I see that ebay has both models listed but I wonder how reliable the sellers are? Thanks

I bought both of them off eBay.

Alphasite

Plano, TX
reply to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

So, wait a minute.

Are you telling me that if I take the SIM out of my unlimited T'bolt and stick it into a 4G "modem" I'll have unlimited data on said "modem"?

Yes.

Mr Matt

Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to Alphasite

How were the modems that you purchased described. New unused and require activation or used? I am trying to determine whether a modem described as new requires initial activation or can be used right out of the box by inserting the SIM Card from another device without any action on the part of Verizon? If new modems must first be activated by Verizon the only solution would be for me to buy a used modem. I want to purchase a hotspot and then buy a USB modem to use if I want to connect directly to my laptop. How much did you pay for each modem?

Vince_C

join:2007-03-30
Columbia, LA
reply to Mr Matt

I am not having any problems at this time.

I initially purchased a used clear one off eBunk, and I had no troubles with activation.

Alphasite

Plano, TX
reply to Mr Matt

said by Mr Matt:

How were the modems that you purchased described. New unused and require activation or used? I am trying to determine whether a modem described as new requires initial activation or can be used right out of the box by inserting the SIM Card from another device without any action on the part of Verizon? If new modems must first be activated by Verizon the only solution would be for me to buy a used modem. I want to purchase a hotspot and then buy a USB modem to use if I want to connect directly to my laptop. How much did you pay for each modem?

Both of mine were used.

I do know that when I got a replacement Thunderbolt I was able to use it by inserting my SIM. Since the SIM is what's registered for the service I would expect that putting a SIM in a new, never before used device would also work. Verizon does sell the devices without activation and I don't think they'd do that if they couldn't be used without being activated.