uniqs

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

[IE] Strange error IE9 interaction with Google

Every time I open the Google homepage I get the following error: "An Active-X control on this page might be unsafe to interact with other parts of this page. Do you want to allow this interaction?"

I tried changing all settings and resetting IE9 and nothing has worked. Any other ideas?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

Hmmmmm there shouldnt be ANY active-x on google...

I just went there and i didnt see "Active-x denied" at the bottom..... (I even ENABLED SCRIPTS;went back to google and didnt see any denied either)

Does it tell you exactly what its flagging as bad? (Does it happen if you disable scripts?)

Good luck buddy!

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

Stupid IE requires ActiveX for it to be able to use Ajax and javascript so this might be where the problem lies but why he's getting that error is anyone's guess.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Yes but Javascript does not use an active-x control does it? (On IE6 it doesnt)

JAVA does but i didnt think JavaSCRIPT (Which is different) did.....

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

You have to create an ActiveX object to hold something but it's 6AM and I can't think right now. Modern browsers don't need any of that and just follow the standards.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

Stupid IE requires ActiveX for it to be able to use Ajax and javascript so this might be where the problem lies but why he's getting that error is anyone's guess.

This error is indicating that something on the page is requesting to load an unsigned active X object. Near as I can tell, it has nothing to do with Ajax and Javascript. I'd check the machine for badness, sounds like it may have something.

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

This error is indicating that something on the page is requesting to load an unsigned active X object. Near as I can tell, it has nothing to do with Ajax and Javascript. I'd check the machine for badness, sounds like it may have something.

That was my first thought to but I verified everything and it's as clean as a whistle! Not having any other problems with anything else either.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Does the same thing happen on »www.google.se/ncr buddy?

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by 19579823:

No it doesn't, nor does it actually happened when I go to the plain google website www.google.com. I only get the problem when I go to my iGoogle page that used to work correctly. I tried turning off scripting with no effect.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Msradell:

said by 19579823:

No it doesn't, nor does it actually happened when I go to the plain google website www.google.com. I only get the problem when I go to my iGoogle page that used to work correctly. I tried turning off scripting with no effect.

ah iGoogle could have any number of weird gadgets. Something on the iGoogle page may be trying to use an activex plugin. Did they add a new gadget recently?
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

I don't know if they added a new gadget. But they have recently changed the initial advanced search page for me, making it longer (now it takes almost 2 pages instead of just 1). May be it's related, may be not... I don't experience any ActiveX new requests with them, but I use Proxomitron filters, that may remove that silently...

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

The only Google ActiveX plug-in I have seen is from Google Earth installation.

Go to "Tools-Manage Add-ons" in IE9.

Any toolbars/extensions that shouldn't be there? List/search for them if unsure.

Look under Search Providers, remove ALL you do not use (huge spoofs happen here, I love the "COMCASTt" search provider that hijacks all google and bing urls)?

Malware/AV scanners don't always pick this stuff up, as it could be accepted for install by end-user (usually unknowingly, such as an over-the-top box that shows up with a big red "X" that closes it and accepts plug-in installation).

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit

howardfine to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by howardfine:

This error is indicating that something on the page is requesting to load an unsigned active X object. Near as I can tell, it has nothing to do with Ajax and Javascript.

In order for IE to do Ajax, the page needs to create an activeX object to access their operating system to make network requests. Modern browsers don't need that non-standard stuff. I'd bet if he used one, FF/Chrome/Opera, the problem wouldn't appear. But he shouldn't be getting that error anyway.
Expand your moderator at work

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine

Re:  

said by howardfine:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by howardfine:

This error is indicating that something on the page is requesting to load an unsigned active X object. Near as I can tell, it has nothing to do with Ajax and Javascript.

In order for IE to do Ajax, the page needs to create an activeX object to access their operating system to make network requests.

This is incorrect, as relates to the OP's post - the warning indicates loading an unsigned (and hence unsafe) active X object FROM THE VISITED SITE. If IE9 needs to load Microsoft signed active X objects from the local machine it will do so without raising this warning, except in the case where the host machine is infected with a virus.